Gareth's 45 Gallon Slate Tank Journal (56k Warning) *Pics added July 02nd/07* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

It looks REALLY good!

If you want to see if you can find any other moss I would look around your local streams, ditches and the sort to see if there is any you'd probably be surprised at what you can find!

Shrimp will love your tank!

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well I added a few plants, many more on the way, and I added a couple of fish and some shrimp.

Met with a minor disaster introducing hte new fish as my CO2 had gotten extremely high.. (I must have bumped the needle valve when I was screwing around with the tank the day before). I lost 4 Cardinal Tetra's inside of an hour of adding them to the tank, but after a 50% water change everyone seemed to calm down a lot.

This are looking better this morning, the shrimp survived the night (which I was really worried about, given the previous CO2 problem, and hte platties are out of hiding.

I didn't realize untill I actually added some living things to this tank exactly how many hidey holes there are in this tank. The fish and shrimp can completely dissapear from view and hide in and behind the slate in a lot of places. There are intricate tunnels behind the slate wall that the shrimp seem to have claimed as home. They are feeding on the filter intake tube and scouring the slate.

I changed my mind about the moss bed and decided to give glossostigma a try, I only have a little bit, and its spread pretty thin so I'll need to get some more (any Canadians got any cuttings they could send my way?).

I did add a ton of moss to the upper left hand side of the tank to fill in some of the "open" space above the wall and around the wood. This will be trimmed back in a week or two, I just need to get it rooted to the wood so it can start creeping in. It has also provided a HUGE amount of plant mass for baby shrimp to hide in (wont be getting Cherries for at least 2 weeks, but I'm thinking ahead)

I was going through my garage of fish stuff and found "just" enough slate to finish the top of the tank. I really like how the wall looks now, as the slate is stacked to the point of coming out of the water.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

What a great look, Gareth! I recently set up a 20l and was hoping to put a couple pairs of Kribs in it (a fish I've always wanted to try). I might just have to try a slate wall.

So, do you just get the slate at a local Home Depot-type store? Are there different varieties of 'slate' or is slate just slate (sorry if my ignorance is showing here ). And, you didn't use any silicone, huh. Just trial and error on the stacking. Would you recommend this for us "non-professionals" at home? Certainly my standard 20l wouldn't have the thicker glass, so I'd have to approach is slowly.

But, I'm lovin' that look!
Brina.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 AM   #19
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well here is the tank as of today, few more plants added, and some livestock. So far so good. The initial introduction of fish was almost disasterous due to the CO2 being cranked "way" too high, but managed to save most of the fish, and both shrimp.

Click here for a larger version of this picture

The glossostigma is growing slowly, so I may purchase a bit more to spread it out, you cant really see it in the pictures.

Here is one of hte sunburst platties, they are acting really shy and they retreat into the plants or rock wall when you approach the tank.

Here is one of the atyopsis shrimp. I love these guys, and I get a real kick out of watching them climb over the rocks and wood.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #20
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I notice all the plants in there are goldfish compatible. gonna go gold? haha
CardBoardBoxProcessor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

hehehe.. I do actually keep goldies.. just not in this tank. There is a lot of plant sharing between my tanks hence the current mix. I'm waiting for my LFS to do anojther tropica plant order and I'll pick up something interesting
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #22
A Hill
Sponsor

Its looking really nice! I have to say with the moss and other plants it's starting to look alive!

What do you think of moving the vals to the side though so it isn't covering up your beautiful rockwork?

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #23
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks great, with that slate I would be tempted to go crazy and cover it completely with ferns, pelia, anubias and moss.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #24
Finch_man
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/94%)

I really like your slate, how many pounds of rock are there? is your stand strong enough?
Finch_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #25
D.gilly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

looks amazing i cant wait to see it once everything grows in and there are 1 million cherrie shrimp swimming around it
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
dufus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus

Looks awesome, especially the moss and slate effect.
i would get rid of the vals or move them to the corner/side.
they take alot away from the slate.
sunbursts are my favorite platy, they seem somehow more inteligent than the others.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #27
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
Its looking really nice! I have to say with the moss and other plants it's starting to look alive!

What do you think of moving the vals to the side though so it isn't covering up your beautiful rockwork?

-Andrew
I've actually moved the vals around a bit since I took that picture.... I know its only been a day but I did some replanting and shaping a bit.. I'll post another pic soon with the changes
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #28
A Hill
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
I've actually moved the vals around a bit since I took that picture.... I know its only been a day but I did some replanting and shaping a bit.. I'll post another pic soon with the changes
Ohh good to hear! It looks sooo good I really didn't want to see any plants dead center taking the eyes off the wall!

Pictures Pictures Pictures !!

-Andrew

Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #29
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well today I ordered some new light bulbs as these ones are simply too old. They are growing the plants, but the glosso is struggling a bit so I'm going to replace 2 of the bulbs (the ones near the front of the tank).

I've also managed to get some shrimp on hold till thursday (when I get the lights I'm going to pick them up). At $4 each, its the best deal in town for Ammano's... I will probably add 10-15 of them, and maybe a handful of cherries (if I can find some adults, or larger shrimp).

Next friday I should have my shipment of Cardinal tetra's as well, and I might add a couple more fan shrimp.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM   #30
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch_man View Post
I really like your slate, how many pounds of rock are there? is your stand strong enough?
I made the stand out of 3/4 inch plywood, and its only about 18-20 inches high so it keeps the center of gravity for this tank pretty low to the ground. With as much rockwork as I have in this tank I wanted to keep it pretty low to the ground.

There is about 100 pounds of slate in there, which isn't really that much when you think about how much water its displacing. 45 Gallons of water weighs about 375 pounds, and the rock is displacing around 12 Gallons of water (about 100 pounds of water) so its not really "adding" weight.

I might be off on my estimates, I haven't really measured exactly how much water volume is in the tank now but I'm probably within 30-40 pounds.

The only thing to be concerned about is how the weight is distributed on the bottom glass as the slate wall puts a lot of weight on the back half. I had this tank made for me though, with the intention of using a lot of rock so I'm not really worried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.