New thoughts on algea!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
masYPSI
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New thoughts on algea!

Here's a theory. Every tank has algae, right? It may not be seen, but its there.

So the theory goes like this, Let it grow. I know what your thinking so let me explain. Letting it grow say on the back of your aquarium and/or on the sides, making sure to keep the plants clean, will in fact help out compete algae from growing on things you don't want algae on.

In keeping with the low tech philosophy, I do a 35-50 percent WC about once every couple months. I also only add ferts once a month. My thought is that at lower light levels and no extra CO2, the plants uptake of nutrients is very slow. There for all this extra dosing and weekly WC'es are kind of getting away from the whole idea of low tech. ie. low maintenance.

Although I am new to the planted tank, and have only been doing this for about 4-5 months all the plants are doing vary well. I have trimmed my rotala once, but I like the way it bends over in the outflow of my of my filter. It grows 4-6 inches past where it bends. The crispus has at least 2 new bulbs growing. My anubia has many new leaves. the hygro D. really needs a trim, as expected. The swords could be doing better but all in all it look good.I also know that most of the plants I have are easy to grow. But for a beginner I'm not doing too bad.

So let me know what you think about my "let it grow" theory. Or if I'm setting myself up for disaster?
ghost shrimp, 4 Red Phantom, 4 Black Phantoms, 20 White Clouds, 2 julidochromis marlieri, 1 farowella,
5 martii swords, Rotala roundfolia, Rotala macrandra, Rotala goias, 2 Java Ferns, 1 Anubia 'nana, 3 crispus, 1 Amazon Sword (narrow), A bunch of Water Lettuce, Ludwiga Repens,
masYPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
actioncia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)

you might be onto something;however, in theory is probably true but how do you control the algae from going into your main water column, once the algae is there it just a matter of time before they are every where. At any rate, it is probably worth looking into. Regards, jC.
actioncia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I agree that algae exist in all of our tanks, as spores, if nothing else. I'm not convinced that letting any of it grow is a good idea, unless you are trying to get rid of green dust algae by letting it go through its life cycle. It seems to me that the goal should be to avoid the conditions that encourage algae spores to start growing, but knowing what all of those conditions are is the challenge.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

I think you've been reading about reef tanks and refigurums. This is a planted tank... And there are some problems.

All different algaes take different nutrient in balances, Different plants like more of one thing than another also. SOOO for your "theory" or more or less "guess" (not even really educated since it doesn't look like you've read a ton in the algae section and correct me if I'm wrong) is that if you have one algae you won't get any others.

Probably not. And it will grow spread into your plants..... etc etc.

Now, if you could somehow get a refigurum and make all the different types of FW algea grow in it and not go into the main tank it might work...

The reason I am so outright and agesnt it is that is how my 55g went to hell over the summer so to speak... ohh one little spot of BGA turned into one whole tank of bga same with BBA and others.

So be carefull with algae!

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote