Culture Club - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
macquisition76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used peat moss(no ferts or poisons) and fed mine the Quaker oats (dampened) and fish flakes. They seemed to do well. However mine crawled up the side (where I collected them,and fed to fish). I always took that as a.sign the culture was growing and attempting to expand. I kept mine at room temp.
macquisition76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
These look like the larger whiteworms.

For those raising whiteworms, what temps are you keeping them. Mine aren't multiplying like they did in the winter. I'm keeping them at 64F.
They look a lot like white worms to me also, but a bit smaller. never seen a grindal worm to compare.

My full grown white worms are about the length of the end of my thumb, maybe a bit more. my threadfins won't come close to touching a full grown one.

I have been keeping my whiteworms in a cooler with a frozen 2liter bottle of water I switch out every morning. My cultures were doing great until they crashed- low pH is my guess . Luckily I had plenty and then some to start new cultures. but I do feel (just my feeling) that in the fall/winter/spring they do better.

I just switched back from seed starter mix to compressed coconut fiber. (a bit over 7.00 at petsmart for a 3pack). I add a tsp or so of ground egg shells to the medium to help buffer.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
They look a lot like white worms to me also, but a bit smaller. never seen a grindal worm to compare.

My full grown white worms are about the length of the end of my thumb, maybe a bit more. my threadfins won't come close to touching a full grown one.

I have been keeping my whiteworms in a cooler with a frozen 2liter bottle of water I switch out every morning. My cultures were doing great until they crashed- low pH is my guess . Luckily I had plenty and then some to start new cultures. but I do feel (just my feeling) that in the fall/winter/spring they do better.

I just switched back from seed starter mix to compressed coconut fiber. (a bit over 7.00 at petsmart for a 3pack). I add a tsp or so of ground egg shells to the medium to help buffer.
My big batch crashed as well but it's slowly getting back. I think they crashed when there are too many of them. They're not as easy as grindals for sure.
I put my batches in a wine cooler/fridge at 64F. I wonder if I should bump down the temp even more to see.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:

My largest worms may be half a thumb at most. I wonder if that is really a grindal or not...?

Thanks for the heads up on coconut fiber as my petland has zero I will try petsmart tomorrow.

As a side note my culture is at 75 degrees and is really taken off. Wouldn't white worms need much cooler?

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
My largest worms may be half a thumb at most. I wonder if that is really a grindal or not...?

Thanks for the heads up on coconut fiber as my petland has zero I will try petsmart tomorrow.

As a side note my culture is at 75 degrees and is really taken off. Wouldn't white worms need much cooler?
Grindals are tiny, maybe a centimeter at most. Maybe you do have whiteworms. Mine are that size, an inch.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Grindals are tiny, maybe a centimeter at most. Maybe you do have whiteworms. Mine are that size, an inch.
Ahhh... So that answers that thanks

So it's a white worm culture. Now I should think about some cooler temps

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #22
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post

I'll take you up on that grindal worm culture and I'll bring you some white worms, we can compare. If you don't want to start a culture just rinse and dispose of in a tank with the right size fish. culture terminated

White worms are a great size food for most fish but they are kind of a pain as far as temps go. also, it takes a good 5-6 weeks to get a decent culture really going, vs a week with microworms and a month for grindals
Old 08-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #23
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ooops, typing and watching Tom and Jerry at the same time
Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #24
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
ooops, typing and watching Tom and Jerry at the same time
Good plan on seeing what exactly I got shipped. We can meet one morning again next week

Classic cartoons are the best. Not the remakes of scooby doo, woody woodpecker and the like

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

#1 adding youtube videos to the second post

#2 every video on youtube for grindal worm, the worms look exactly the same as mine? Here is the exact culture i bought

#3 mistergreen, you want to join the club? you seem to have lots of good input

#4 anyone wanna submit a good youtube video for whiteworms? i found a few i liked but maybe you guys with the white worms should pick

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]

Last edited by hambone870; 08-19-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: .
Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #26
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Oh, those are grindals. They just seem big because it's probably multiple worms bound together.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, those are grindals. They just seem big because it's probably multiple worms bound together.
true one of those is probably closer to 10 worms

just ordered a daphnia culture

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #28
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

You can add me to the list. When I lived in Gainesville, I had access to live black worms and my fish LOVED them. I'm raising nano fish now and need something a little smaller.

Quote:
I mix this in my micro worm medium (mashed potatoes) and sprinkle a little on top of the microworms every couple days
I'm getting ready to start 2 cultures - microworms and vinegar eels. For the microworms, do you use the instant mashed potatoes? I've been reading about using oatmeal. Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference?
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #29
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Culture Club

Cool ill add you tonight when I get on the computer

I know you can use both instant mashed potatoes and oatmeal

I am not getting the right consistency yet using potatoes and am going to try an oatmeal one

I make the potatoes and they seem to be a good consistency and then it sits over night and I add yeast and it comes out thinner then next day.

I'm still messing around

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And not to discredit the mash potatoes method, dprais1 gave me a culture in it and its banging

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]