Culture Club - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #136
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have the same micro worm culture going for a year now. I don't always need it, but faithfully make a new batch every 10 days.

Empty deli meat plastic container, with hot pin holes in top (numerous holes beat one large hole in keeping flies out).

Cheapest Instant Mash Potatoes I can find. (Oatmeal gets smellier, and flies seem to prefer them to potato)

I put an eyeballed measured cup o potatoes in, add about equal amount water FROM AQUARIUM in. Stir and "furrow" with a plastic fork. (You can make neat rows like a farmer planting corn if you like) "Pepper" with a lil Brewers Yeast. Then I use said plastic fork to plop and furrow a forkful of old culture to da middle. Cut a paper towel about an 1 1/2", dunk it in your aquarium water, and place it on da creamy center o worms. Crisscross it with a another, slightly smaller, dampened (from aquarium water) paper towel. You can now use tweezers to pluck the paper towel and wring out to feed your fish, without worrying about adding potato or oatmeal goo. (Also can use the little paper towel to "squeegee" the sides of container.)

When replacing the paper towel, it is now re-wet with new aquarium water.
The fork gets tossed. I want no confusion with it later on.

I have back up containers, and start the whole thing again in about 10 days, with fresh paper towel scraps and a new plastic fork.

I just wish something would eat fire ants. There are unwanted "cultures" of them all over the place.

Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #137
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Also how do you culture grindal worms soilesly? I have been culturing them in the coconut fiber and it does well but the last one got to wet and I never sprayed it, and I had to reculture it, now waiting for the culture to ramp up again and fast because I have beta fry I am feeding micro worms and grindal worms.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3692457

I started using this method recently and it seems to be doing well. The worms take less time to swarm the food I place on the craft mesh. Harvesting is easy too. Just put some food on the mesh, wait and hour, then dunk the mesh in a jar of water to rinse the worms and harvest them with a pipette.

The coconut coir method works until the substrate becomes too saturated from the worms metabolic waste. The coir becomes too acidic, worm production stops, and the culture crashes. With coir, you should restart your culture after two or three months, depending on the production. If you feed less, you'll have less production but the culture will last longer. It's a good idea to have more than one culture running at the same time so just in case one culture crashes, you have a backup to start harvesting from. Another downside of the coir method is that you can still get mites.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #138
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

anyone know a good source of daphnia?

and count me in! I have microworms and banana worms. =)
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #139
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (38/100%)

What about fruit flies.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #140
Elli
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the advice ivan.f and Monster Fish!

Anyone in the Chicago burbs have a grindal worm culture starter for sale? Please PM me if you do!
Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #141
macquisition76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Finally got some Microworms. I can finally join.

I've had fruit flies before when I had dart frogs. It's hard to get them without some escaping. Plus make sure they're wingless and make sure none with wings accidently sneak in. But I think they would be great for fish. Due to size they would be best for medium to large size fish.

That's my two cents though.....
macquisition76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #142
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macquisition76 View Post
Finally got some Microworms. I can finally join.

I've had fruit flies before when I had dart frogs. It's hard to get them without some escaping. Plus make sure they're wingless and make sure none with wings accidently sneak in. But I think they would be great for fish. Due to size they would be best for medium to large size fish.

That's my two cents though.....
They are great for fish, I get the flightless ones from petsmart, but I want to culture them myself, but I need some info on how exactly. I seen my 9 month old beta rear up just out and get on climbing up the side of the tank. It was really amazing to watch

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote