MH/PC or MH or PC for 40 gallon breeder?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

MH/PC or MH or PC for 40 gallon breeder?

Hey everyone,

I've read these thread a few times and I'm very interested in it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...tml#post358631
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...light=diy+150w

I just got a 40 gallon breeder tank with a 2x96w Custom Sea Life fixture. It also came with a canopy that the person didn't use.

2x96w would give me ~5 WPG, which is definately high light. When I setup the fixture the other day, one of the bulbs started flickering and buzzing. I'm thinking I have to replace it soon.

OK, so I'm thinking I have a few options. For sure, this will be a high light/high tech tank.

1) Just replace the ballast on the fixture. This gives me ~2.5WPG with one bulb on, and 5WPG with both bulbs. ~$45 for the ballast? Haven't checked yet, but have read that it's somewhere around there.

2) Go with 2 x 70w. This will cost ~$140 to build. The canopy I have is about 6" off of the top of the tank with an open back. I have no wood-working skills so installing fans on the sides of the canopy would be out of the question. Can I still mount fans inside the canopy and have the air circulate and blow out the back of it? Or would 2 x 70w MH be too hot? The problem with this is that right off the bat, I'll have to be working with ~3.5WPG of MH. I like flexibility in my lighting options. Of course there'll be two ballasts, but since I plan to have the reflectors next to each other, I'll need both on at once to have even lighting.

3) Go with 1 x 70w plus 2x36w PCs. This will give versatile lighting options. I can have the 2x36w on for 8 hours for 1.8WPG and the MHs on for 5-6 hours for high lighting during those periods. The AHSupply kits are $58 for each 1x36w setup, for $116 total. That's the price of a DIY 150w MH! I can't get the 2x36w kit because that only comes with one wide reflector whereas I'll be needing two of them. This setup will cost close to ~$190.

This is the proposed staggered plan:

xxxxxx ==== 36 w ====
xxxxxxx 70 w MH xxxxxxx
==== 36 w ==== xxxxxx

Another question is...is the spread of the 70W or 150W MH enough for a 36" long tank? The 150W reflector is from: 150W HQI (Double Ended) MH Reflector and the 70W reflector is a Halogen floodlight reflector (pics in the first thread I posted).

4) If so, my last option would be a DIY 150W MH setup mounted right in the middle of the canopy. This will be about ~$100 from co2's thread and give me 3.8WPG. The cheapest option yet. =)...would heat also be an issue?

I think the shimmering effect of the MHs would definately be a plus in this tank.

Thanks for all your opinions!
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have 2x96 watt on my 40 and love it!
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2

Given what you have to work with already... I would use one of you 96W CF's and just put one 70W MH in the center. You will have the best of both worlds, even lighting from the CF, and the point source light of the MH for the shimmering effect. It also gives you flexibility since you don't have to have both bulbs on at the same time, one can just be on for a couple hours in the middle of the day. Another bonus is that it would be easy on your wallet. I considered this same setup when I was going to set a 90cm ADA tank up.

If you do that I would try to get an 8800k 96W bulb, there was a guy selling them on Ebay but his ad is hard to find. That color looks really good, and when both bulbs were on, it would look like an 8000k ADA 150W bulb, which is good.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Champion Lighting has them on clearance at $17.90 a pop.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Champion Lighting & Supply :: Lighting :: Power Compact :: Power Compact Lamps :: 96w Lamps

Here's the link. Scroll all the way to the bottom. I picked up 2 earlier today.
Filstar pimp #53

Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Champion Lighting & Supply :: Lighting :: Power Compact :: Power Compact Lamps :: 96w Lamps

Here's the link. Scroll all the way to the bottom. I picked up 2 earlier today.
Nice find! Those are definitely the ones you want, they were made by Custom Sea Life.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

The 96w CF I have is in a fixture, not a retrofit. The canopy isn't being used right now. So I'd still have to go out and buy a retrofit if I wanted the 96w CF in the canopy.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
The 96w CF I have is in a fixture, not a retrofit. The canopy isn't being used right now. So I'd still have to go out and buy a retrofit if I wanted the 96w CF in the canopy.
Oh, I see. Can you just take the fixture apart and turn it into a retrofit? Just use the reflector, socket, bulb holder, and ballast.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

The reflector is designed for 2x96w bulbs, but I guess if I put the one bulb right in the center, it'd work. If I had two separate reflectors, I'd mount both in the canopy and have the 70W in the middle of both for some awesome lighting. Overkill, but I think it'd be amazing.

Do you recommend the PC bulb in front or behind of the 70w MH since I only have one reflector?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

CLEARANCE: 96w CSL 8800k PC Lamp
Learn More!
Click Here! CLEARANCE: 96w CSL 8800k PC Lamp
34" Square four pin configuration

An additional shipping charge of $12.00 (UPS Ground 48 states) for 96w lamps will be added to your order. A box will hold up to 12 lamps.

Holy crap. $12? =P
Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Do you recommend the PC bulb in front or behind of the 70w MH since I only have one reflector?
I would experiment with that. Either way would probably work.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #12
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
CLEARANCE: 96w CSL 8800k PC Lamp
Learn More!
Click Here! CLEARANCE: 96w CSL 8800k PC Lamp
34" Square four pin configuration

An additional shipping charge of $12.00 (UPS Ground 48 states) for 96w lamps will be added to your order. A box will hold up to 12 lamps.

Holy crap. $12? =P
Yeah, that's normal. They charge that because they have to wrap it up real good for shipping. You're getting a real deal on the bulbs so that makes up for it. I would buy two to have a spare. CSL went out of business a couple years ago I think, so these bulbs are getting harder to find.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

I had 6 of them lying around just sold them all to bharada for 15 each. Too bad.
ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

You'd have to ship it down to LA anyways. =P
Old 01-18-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

Contemplating just gutting my fixture. And getting AHS 34.5" reflectors for PC bulbs.

===== 96 W =====
==== 70w MH ====
===== 96 W =====

Is the shimmer effect worth gutting the fixture and then spending $70 for the DIY MH + $20 for the AHS reflector? Plus ~$20 shipped for everything. So an extra $110.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.