Most and Least Stressful cities in the U.S. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-10-2004, 03:00 AM   #31
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Ok. I saw something on the news about this. This poll was based on suicide rates, unemployment and "gloomy weather".

Sounds to me like they have discovered the most depressed (mentally) areas of the country, not the most stressed!

Mike
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2004, 03:41 AM   #32
emoore3
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

2la, I'll agree that Chicago drivers are very aggressive. It seems that California drivers never pay attention to the road. They are always on the phone or reading or watching a DVD while they drive. I am pretty aggresive compared to most Cali drivers so I think the mixing of Chicago drivers and Cali drivers is not a good one. It really annoys me when I get cut off buy a slow driver because he "just wants to be in that lane now" eventhough his lane was moving just fine :roll:
emoore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #33
jart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore3
They are always on the phone...
well now my gf tells me it's illegal to use a cellphone without a headset whilst driving in newfoundland. great law imo.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #34
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[quote=jread]

I've heard

I actually wanted to go there but I couldn't afford it [quote]

Tell me about it! I founded part of the new library!
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:41 PM   #35
emoore3
Planted Member

They tried to pass the cell phone law in california but it got defeated very easily.
emoore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #36
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Anyone every driven through Maryland, sheesh! I've been run right off the road by people who just had to change lanes RIGHT NOW even though there was a car right next to them.

And here's a NJ driving story: I'm driving on 80 one day in the middle lane and this woman is getting on the entrance ramp. There is nobody in the right lae in front of her, but she cuts me off to get into the middle lane for no reason. I honk my horn at her and she gives me the finger! I was like WTF you cut me off FU! Stupid drivers. We need to incorporate more agressive licensing laws in this country, make it a privilege to drive and not a right. Some people that drive are an endangerment to everyone else on the road and should not be out there.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:49 PM   #37
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Interesting thread that I just happened to stummble upon.

I used to live in Tacoma, WA, ranked #1 on the list meaning it is the most stressful city. I could agree with that. I was only a kid then but some of the most reoccurring remembrances were the neighbors arguing, the school bus driver yelling at us, and a few occurrences of road rage. Oh, the drive to Seattle is terrible!

Now I live Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN, which is 96th/100th, meaning very low stress. I couldn't agree anymore. People here are very friendly to each other; outta state folks call it "Minnesota-Nice" I guess. Last winter the car slipped off the road in two occurrences and in a about 10 minutes there's someone there to give you a lift. Traffic isn't too bad. It gets crowded at rush hour but no one ever drives recklessly or cuts you off. If there's anything I'm annoyed by, it's everyone driving the speed limit. I dunno, must be in the extremely hard water or the really cold winters. The only time people get rowdy is at a Packers-Vikings game.

I've also heard Minneapolis called the most literate, most healthy (I think), and most fun city to live in the US. Fun might be a stretch though.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:58 PM   #38
randomrambler
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
21a have you ever been to Boston? sheesh... i don't know if it's legal to drive there if your horn doesn't work.
lol living in the boston burbs i agree with you. i heard swears out of my dear sweet mother i didnt think EXISTED. lol its really messed up, i walk a mile home from my school bus stop and i live in a small town... almost get run over crossing the road because no one will stop for me. now that we have the big dig i definately think boston should be higher on the list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosty
I guess people think its relaxing to see the amish people everywhere (no offense to any amish).
dont think you have to worry about any amish having a computer on the internet on The Planted Tank
randomrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:05 PM   #39
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Orange County ... #98!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:25 PM   #40
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You agree with OC coming in at 98?

On the first page someone had nothing but crap to say about the OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternum23
Are you kidding me? Orange County is 98th? That's got to be the most BS I've ever heard. I have never been in a more stressful environment in my entire life!

First off, the traffic here is the WORST I have ever been in. It takes me an hour to move 5 miles on the highway during rushhour. Let's not even get into El Toro and Moulton.

Second, eveyone here is so quick to judge everyone else. I sometimes make late-night runs to the local Ralph's and usually just wear my PJ's, aka sweats, sandals, and a t-shirt. But man the way people look at me, you'd think I was from Mars.

It's like everyone has to look a certain way, or else you're some sort of freak. And then there are those who try to show they're not part of the clique by being part of another click, lol.

Third, it's all about the Green down in OC. When I lived in San Diego or the Bay Area, my coworkers and I went out after work on a regular basis. We'd hit a bar, the movies, a restaurant, whatever. Here, no one does that, and I'm still working for the same company! Everyone either stays late or goes straight home. It's like they don't want to know you, they're just here to work and make dough.

Fourth, for some reason, no one likes to say "Hi" to strangers or people they meet. Call it friendliness or common courtesy, but when I first moved down here, I used to say "Hi" or "How're you doing" if I passed someone on the sidewalk. Only once did I ever receive a response. Most of the times, the person just ignored me, some people actually tried to avoid me.

Fifth, cost of living. I don't know HOW the average American can afford to live in this place. I remember talking to a coworker from Tacoma during a company-wide meeting. He's about my age, 25, and just bought an acre plot of land with a 15 year old ranch house on it for $150,000. First off, I don't think there are any residential zones in So Cal that can afford a single plot of land that large. Secondly, if there were, I'm sure they'd be going for well over $1 million each. Ironically enough, I remember him telling me "Yea, I'm not sure how you people make it down here".

Sixth, let's go back to traffic for a moment. Like I said, I've lived all up and down California and have driven in pretty much every part of the state. But Orange County is the only place I have ever seen someone changing their clothes WHILST driving! It's not like I was trying to look, but you can't help but notice when they almost sideswipe your car. Also, I once handled an auto accident that was part of a freak "group" of accidents in one intersection. Apparently, three separate accidents occured, one right after another and all with different vehicles. I'll never forget the police report on that one, "Driver A was on their cell phone...Driver B was on their cell phone..."

I don't know about anyone else, but between being socially ostracized and/or getting into an accident with a naked man, living in OC is pretty stressful to me.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 AM   #41
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
You agree with OC coming in at 98?

On the first page someone had nothing but crap to say about the OC.
A good deal of truth there. The fact is, however, that Orange County is quite large & populated with many cities in the county. I live in Laguna Beach, which is sort of it's own Utopia (low crime, beach, temperate weather). Other areas in Orange County are more like L.A. (where I lived during law school).
Old 09-24-2004, 02:40 AM   #42
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

The grass is always browner!

Honestly, think about it, the NY-NJ Metro area. Most densely populated area in the country! Today it took me 30 minutes to drive 6 miles! Highest cost of living to boot! My one bedroom apartment would rent for almost $1400 a month! Don't even get me started on home prices in average neighborhoods!

I saw the poll. I mentioned what it was based on at the top of this page. Believe me, I'll take the pace of life in Tacoma or drive through Seattle absolutely any day!

Mike
Old 09-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #43
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
The grass is always browner!

Honestly, think about it, the NY-NJ Metro area. Most densely populated area in the country! Today it took me 30 minutes to drive 6 miles! Highest cost of living to boot! My one bedroom apartment would rent for almost $1400 a month! Don't even get me started on home prices in average neighborhoods!

I saw the poll. I mentioned what it was based on at the top of this page. Believe me, I'll take the pace of life in Tacoma or drive through Seattle absolutely any day!

Mike
I gotta agree with Mike! NJ has got some great conveniences, but it just keeps getting more and more crowded. I got out of there five years ago, but I visit at least once a year to see my parents and I can't help but wonder just how much more densely populated that state can become!!
Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 PM   #44
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Within the next 10 years, NJ will be the most developed state in the country. Every piece of land in the state that can be developed, will be developed.

Sam, they are building in areas you wouldn't believe. All of the area in West Paterson where Rt.46 and Rt.3 meet, by the Log Cabin bar has been cut down for development. Do you remember the old abandoned Sam Braen's quarry in North Haledon? They blasted out what they could to build luxury condos. Starting price? $690K. Ah! Here's one for you! Remember the intersection of Alps and Ratzer Road, by the Paris inn? They blasted down the rock cliff to build homes!

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #45
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

They're even building up everywhere along Rt. 23 up in the Suffern/Vernon area. It's crazy. We're not going to have any trees left in 15-20 years.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote