re quarantine tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-09-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
mousey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you remove your fish from the main tank to treat for something how do you keep the bio filter alive in it? If you treat the fish in that tank , again how do you keep the bio filter alive or do you just have to recycle the tank again?

mousey
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 03:48 AM   #2
Bronx19
Algae Grower

Ive wondered this too, escpecially when raising fish eggs.

I had the impression you could just do small daily water changes.
Bronx19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
Zurp
Planted Member

I can't imagine that you would want a full running quarantine tank. The last thing you want is for some sickness to reproduce in the bio-filter, and infect any following visitors to that tank. I think that I also read that certain treatments will kill bio-filters, and some treatments can be rendered useless by things like AMMO, and ACTIVATED CHARCOAL.

I think they recommended that quarantine tanks should only have fresh water directly from your running tank and a bubbler/cotton filter. Where the cotton can be thrown away after. Bio will establish any-where ammonia is present in the water, and your quarantine already has loose bio from your existing tank that you removed the fish from.
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

That is how I run my quarantine. When it is needed, I drop 10G of water from the 75G. Fill the little 10G quarantine aquarium, and then add a bubble filter. When I am done, I toss the cotton, then disinfect the aquarium and filter.

Mike
Old 01-09-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousey
If you remove your fish from the main tank to treat for something how do you keep the bio filter alive in it? If you treat the fish in that tank , again how do you keep the bio filter alive or do you just have to recycle the tank again?

mousey
Typically if one fish is ill, you remove it to a Q tank, even 2 if the Q tank can support them. If a large fraction of the tank is sick or more than the Q tank can hold, then you treat the tank. Sometimes this may kill the biofilter, depending on what you have to use. You would want to try to somehow preserve the biofilter if possible, or locate BioSpira to re-start the tank.

If you had to treat the whole tank with something like that, you might put the biofilter in the Q tank and feed it small amounts of ammonia to keep it going. I've never doen that, and I have no idea whoe much ammonia that could require, or rather how little ammonia for I suspect you would want the minimum. One source said to feed the filter fish food, same amount as you feed the fish, as it decays into the same products without the fish inbetween.

And in the Q tank, we do lots and lots of water changes, so weak biofilters should not be much of an issue.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

When treating an entir tank, I pull out the filter media and put it in a bucket with some of the tank water and run an airline/power head in the bucket to keep the water moving. This should help keep most of the valuable bacteria on the filter media alive long enough for the tank to be treated.

Once the tank is fully treated, I do a large, 50% water change and put the old filter media back in the filter along with some activated carbon to remove the meds.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:39 AM   #7
Seamaiden
Algae Grower

Oh my goodness, you folks prefer to treat the display??? 8O
Seamaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:43 AM   #8
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaiden
Oh my goodness, you folks prefer to treat the display??? 8O
Of course not! We prefer to never have sick fish in the first place.

I have 31 tetras, 6 cories, and 5 kuhlies in my biggest tank, plus I dont know how many otos (8?) and over a dozen shrimp. If one fish gets sick, I probably won't see it until things are pretty bad, and if whatever it is is contageous, then the whole tank will probably have it. Even if I knew one of the fish had a problem, I'm not sure I could catch it even if I did notice it. Heck, all the cardinals look alike and there's 25 of them. I doubt I could catch a kuhlie loach in a planted tank, sick or not. Three of the five that are in there were moved from the 20 gallon after I had taken out all of the plants and a lot of the gravel, sly little guys.

Really, the source of the illness is important. One fish may be ill from a mechanical injury, or getting bitten or something, or the whole tank may be stressed by something and only one is ill but the rest are pretty near it. So, the tank might actually need treatment.

So, for me, netting out a sick fish or 5 is not all that likely to happen in that tank. And 5 or a few more is all I could hold in the 10 gallon barebottomed Q tank anyhow.

My Q tank is much more often used for quarantine for new fish than it is used for sick fish. Personally, I've never had to treat a big planted tank for anything yet.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote