Greenwater recovery advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 AM   #1
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

My tank is finally in the recovery stages of some nasty green water. My tactics were as follows: 1) Cut light by 50%, 2) Reduce photoperiod to 8 hours, 3) Stop all ferts, 4) Daily 20% water changes.

My tank is slightly cloudy, but obviously waaaay better than it was.

So, I'm trying to figure out when and in what order I should begin bringing the tank back online 100%. Should I wait until the water is 100% clear before trying to bring anything else back online?

Should I bring both lights online and then gradually increase my photoperiod, or should I gradually increase my photoperiod and then bring both lights on?
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 AM   #2
pedietz
Planted Member

Using more Carbon and adding Phosp. remover cleaned my algae water.

If you read in water params, I just got my tank back from a 4-day blackout cycle. And the water is crystal clear now.
pedietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I wouldn't increase photoperiod at all until it is crystal clear. I believe the consensus is that once it is clear, then just bring it all back, full swing. Lights and ferts, do a large water change and bring all parameters in line for growing plants (20ppm CO2, 10ppm NO3, 1ppm PO4, 20ppm K, traces, etc.) and they should start right up.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

You might want to be certain that your water source has not added chloramine without telling you. I was just reading about a possible link between chloramine treated water, that in the aquarium was treated with chlorine removing products, which would break the chloramine bond and handle the chlorine, but leave the ammonia behind, and ammonia is strongly implicated in greenwater.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
I wouldn't increase photoperiod at all until it is crystal clear. I believe the consensus is that once it is clear, then just bring it all back, full swing. Lights and ferts, do a large water change and bring all parameters in line for growing plants (20ppm CO2, 10ppm NO3, 1ppm PO4, 20ppm K, traces, etc.) and they should start right up.
Speaking of traces ... I just started dry dosing my nutrients according to Chuck's calculator, but there is no mention of traces. Is there a formula for dosing them?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (172/100%)

Traces are needed only in trace amounts... for example, 1-2 ml of flourish treats 50 gallons... no calculator necessary. For selfmade mixes, you'd just have to know.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote