TFSRI August Meeting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Rhode Island

Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

TFSRI August Meeting

Our August speaker is Leslie Dick, a member of the Danbury Area Aquarium Society. She began keeping aquariums while in high school as well as maintaining two aquariums in her college room.

Leslie sits on the board of the NEC and is the current chairperson of the NEC Annual Convention. She is a board member in DAAS, where she also holds the chair positions of the clubs BAP and CARES Preservation Program. She is a member of the AKA, ALA, NANFA, and several local aquarium clubs. Leslie is the CARES for Individuals coordinator with the CARES team and is a charter member of the newly-created North American Goodeid Working Group (NAGWG), which works in collaboration with the European GWG.

Leslie is a Senior Master Breeder in DAAS, an Advanced Breeder in GCAS, and a breeder in NAS. She is an NEC Breeder as well as a designated species breeder with the ALA. Leslie has shown fish for the past four years at TFSRI, NJAS, NAS, and at the NEW killifish weekend. She has taken top exhibition awards with the NEC for the past three years as well being invited to show fish at the Innes Award Show at the NEC Convention. Leslie was awarded Reserve of Show at NJAS 2009 show as well as Best of Show at NAS 2012.

Leslie was awarded the Ray Massagli Award in 2010 for her dedication to DAAS and the aquarium hobby, and is the 2012 recipient of the NEC Betty Mueller Memorial Award.

Leslie currently maintains over 100 tanks in her fishroom, primarily plecos and at risk in the wild livebearers, many of which are registered species with the CARES Preservation Program and the NAGWG.

Leslie will be speaking on livebearers, with an emphasis on the care and conservation of the more than 20 goodeid species in her care.

The meeting starts at 7pm at the RISPCA building (near Rumford pets.)
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Friendly Reminder! Meeting is tonight!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay you guys.. there were a bunch of plants up for auction last night. I left with some utricularia minor and rotala macrandra.

Also the talk on goodeids was pretty neat. Makes me want to get in to the conservation side of fish keeping.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wish I could have gone. I spoke with George two days ago in regards to joining TFSRI and attending meetings. Hopefully my gf and I can make the next one, especially as I believe I'm going to miss the annual show due to work training :-(.

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's unfortunate.

If you're coming to the next meeting and know you want to join, there are membership forms on the website, so You can fill one out ahead of time.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
nodim
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
Okay you guys.. there were a bunch of plants up for auction last night. I left with some utricularia minor and rotala macrandra.

Also the talk on goodeids was pretty neat. Makes me want to get in to the conservation side of fish keeping.
Yes it was a good talk, it's always interesting to learn about fish like goodeids which I knew almost nothing of prior to Leslie's talk.

I left before the auction, but saw some nice plants there again this month.

Hoping that I'll be able to make the auction in a couple of weeks, but not sure what my schedule will be.

cheers

nodima
nodim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I had to take off before the end as well. But it was a good first meeting for me