ADA 180P Dream Tank Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
BullShark

PTrader: (0/0%)

ADA 180P Dream Tank Build

Hello All,

For years, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy the aquarium hobby from multiple platforms. Nevertheless, I don’t doubt that my path to the present day has been similar to many aquarists. I began my childhood with your basic setups, stocked with different, interesting freshwater fish, and in 2007 tried my hand at saltwater tanks, graduated to larger setups with more intricate SPS displays, and finally found myself looking for the chance to enjoy my home aquarium without the intensity of managing the balance between eight different water parameters. So here I am, ready to create what I hope to be something as enjoyable as it is inspiring.

One thing constant between each experience has been my reliance on forums like this for advice and inspiration. They have made all the difference, and exploring each hobbyist’s personal experience through this 15-inch, keyboard-equipped “window” has become half of the joy of the hobby for me. Hence, I have decided to create a thread here at The Planted Tank to share my freshwater adventure with all of you, in hopes of providing the same troubleshooting tips, inspiration and forum for discussion that has been invaluable to me over the years.

As a precursor to this thread, I thought I’d share some general thoughts with you about how I have realized success in the past. My three-part philosophy is simple: (1) Copying someone else’s formula for success is nothing to be ashamed of; learn from their mistakes, avoid making the same ones, and use their achievements as a springboard to further advance the cause. (2) Stability is everything; it also affords us the opportunity to learn what effect small changes have on the overall health and performance of our closed-loop ecosystems. (3) Simplicity is just as rewarding as complexity: it’s fun to have the guts of a nuclear submarine behind those wooden doors, but simplicity will ultimately bring you peace of mind knowing that your aquarium inhabitants are self-sustainable and doing the bulk of the work that you would otherwise get a machine to do. Not to mention… you’ll save a fortune in time and money.

From here on out, I’ll attempt to post updates fairly regularly and share my opinion on the products I have chosen to use and the health/growth of the inhabitants of the tank (plant and animal). I welcome everyone’s comments, criticisms and advice, as I am always learning and know that for everything I know, there is always someone who knows ten times more.

Happy Reading!
BullShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Awesome tank size, look forward to your journal.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I like your philosophy! Can't wait to see the progress on the 180p.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
BullShark

Default Update #1 - Delivery!

First delivery has arrived!

Well, it arrived a few days ago, but the excitement still hasn't worn off. I’ve decided to go with an all-ADA setup, namely because I am a big fan of their aesthetics and whatever they are doing seems to be working. I’m using ADA product almost exclusively, except for the stand which I am having built custom to capture my idea for something a little more interesting than your typical cabinet-style stand.

What came with today's shipment (see pics attached):

ADA 180P (180cm x 60cm x 60cm)
ADA Super Jet Filter ES-2400
Approx. 100kg of Manten Stone
CO2 Tower w/ 2lb canister
Lily Pipes
Various other glass parts and accessories - to be detailed in future post

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1715.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	261162  

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	261170  

Name:	IMG_1714.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	261178  

Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 AM   #5
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Definitely following, looks . I'm exited!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #6
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

You will certainly want a larger CO2 gas tank.
Well, you'll soon realize it.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #7
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Hey, same city as you.

I didn't know the ADA Co2 tower was compatible with the North American standard. Did you find a place that is willing to refill that tank?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I didn't know the ADA Co2 tower was compatible with the North American standard. Did you find a place that is willing to refill that tank?
My first thought. And I agree with Tom, 2lbs is going to be very small on that sized tank, almost like a disposable setup on a nano. However, I look forward to this thread. Maybe the 3rd one ever posted on the board.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
BullShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You will certainly want a larger CO2 gas tank.
Well, you'll soon realize it.
I think you're right. I have an extra 10lb CO2 cylinder previously used for a calcium reactor that I may hook up instead. The nearest place to fill up is about 40 mins away, so the more volume the better. Now to figure out how to make it look semi-decent...
Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
BullShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Hey, same city as you.

Another good call. I just realized that the CO2 canister sent in with the tower doesn't have a D.O.T. identification number. Without it, the Japanese canister can't be refilled in Canada. I'll need to find a replacement for it, which shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShark View Post
Another good call. I just realized that the CO2 canister sent in with the tower doesn't have a D.O.T. identification number. Without it, the Japanese canister can't be refilled in Canada. I'll need to find a replacement for it, which shouldn't be a big deal.
If you're worried about aesthetics, you can clean, polish, flash chrome the new cylinder.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
If you're worried about aesthetics, you can clean, polish, flash chrome the new cylinder.
I put in in an SS garbage can. Not even joking here, it's really the same idea to me.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
180p, ada, build, dream tank, iwagumi