Planaria Attack- Warning: Graphic pic
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Planaria Attack- Warning: Graphic pic

As most of you know, I have multiple tanks set up, so I suppose it was bound to happen at one point or another that I would get planaria in one of my tanks.

The good news- Only one tank out of 30+ has planaria, and it has happened within the last 30 days or so, so I should be able to nip it in the bud. My meds arrive tomorrow.

The bad news- It happened in my Nessie tank.

I'm glad I ordered the meds. Several posts on here says they won't attack shrimp. I was really hoping that was correct since this was my first ever tank to have it since I began shrimping.

Unfortunately, this (for me anyway) turned out to be false info and yesterday I saw one of my best Nessie shrimp not yet dead attacked by planaria. For the doubting Thomas, I took pics before disposing of the body/worms on it.

Name:  Nessie Planaria.JPG
Views: 1537
Size:  54.5 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nessie Planaria 02.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	189938

I just hope no more of my Nessies die when I dose the meds. I'm going to use fenbedazole, and maybe dose a little less than recommended.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Dont dose less than recommended, there's no reason to. It is safe for shrimp, but not for planaria. Also, planaria are harder to get all of them with one dose. So dose .1 grams per 10 gallons, and do it again three days after the first dose.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

What a shame, at least you caught it though before it turned into "why are all of my shrimp disappearing." You know, i've been noticing a lower baby survival rate in one of my tanks and havent been able to figure it out, i'm wondering if planaria could be the culprit? Was the attack the first you noticed them, or is there a sure fire way to tell? Be sure to let us know how it turns out, makes me want to treat my tank just in case!
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
fermentedhiker
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Part of the reason why some people have different experiences with planaria and shrimp in the same tank could be a matter of what species they have had show up. I had a 20L setup as a "pond" tank for a couple of years. It had seed shrimp, MTS, pond snail, scuds, yellow Neos, thai microcrabs, freshwater isopods, blackworms, and brown, black, and white planaria. I never once saw a planaria on a live shrimp. But after the first year only the white planaria were left(the brown and black were apparently outcompeted......or eaten). They are live prey eaters exclusively, so it would seem they could pose a direct threat to shrimp(even though I never saw it) while the brown and the black are just as happy to be scavengers. I will say that they had zero impact on the scud/seed shrimp population(I only wished I could find something that would've eaten seed shrimp and not anything else in that tank
Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Don't dose even a little less than the recommended (:

Show no mercy! Good luck with your situation.

They'll generally head into the substrate to "flee" from the medication so you'll want to dose like mordalphus said again after 3 days.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sorry to hear about your outbreak Soothing. I'm sure you have read this before, it's not like a newb like myself could give you any advice, haha but for anyone else that was wanting info, here is the link from planetinverts.com about using fenbedazole (dewormer) to treat planaria. It helped me out a few months back.....

http://planetinverts.com/killing_pla...and_hydra.html

Good luck with your treatment, and I'm sure they will be back to normal before you know it.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)

You can buy " No planaria " from eBay. It works well
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

how many planaria are on the shrimp in that pic?
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Damn poor thing. Sorry to hear about this. Is one of those planaria huge or are those many of them?

More paranoid of the worms in my 18g. I'm always keeping an eye on them just in case they turn out to be planaria. Haven't seen a decline of shrimp/shrimplets.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

One neutralized the prey and then others "swarmed." Not pretty.

And Dolfan, I appreciate the link. I knew others had gotten them, but I've never had to deal with it before. So, yeah- I'm a newbie at planaria.

You know, I've dosed tanks with panacur before and lost shrimp. Hopefully it won't happen this time. I'm very gunshy from my experiences in the past.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
DoubleT
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

While waiting for the meds you should make a DIY trap out of test kit test tube and airline(bait it with some bloodworms) and get a head start on those suckers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7461.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	190162  

DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

that is a cool idea. i think as far as my accounts have been concerned i dont think i had that type of planaria. there are other flat worms that are called planaria and i think that might have been what i had as they never went for shrimp. i wish you the best man. never fun. i am shrimpless at the moment as i lost the few i had left when i moved. they got to warm and cooked in the car ( no ac in the car)
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
sayurasem
SCAPEr

DoubleT your a genius!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you, DoubleT. Supposedly the meds are arriving today. I think I'm going to remove the shrimp I can find to a container for the next few days, then dose. That way if I lose any shrimp, it will be minimal.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
jmhk
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hopefully you have good luck with the fenbendazole on your nessies. I had to dose my tank one week ago when I saw some hydra. Of the 35+ rili and malawa I got from you, I only saw one fatality - one of the peewees died about 4 days after I dosed. The rest are doing great; about 8 of the rili are showing saddles already and pushing the ottos out of the food dish. And I don't see any hydra....