Should I change from LED to T5?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
stonevs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Should I change from LED to T5?

Hello, I have a 40 gallon breeder and I am trying to grow Blyxa and Dwarf Hairgrass in it. I am using a Beamswork 36" single bright LED (pretty low tech). Granted I've only had the plants a few days, they're doing fine so far. Even though my plants aren't dying (yet, maybe) should I purchase a T5 light fixture that will provide more light? The t5 is the only other 36" light in my price range that is better than the Led.

Thanks!
stonevs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If your on a budget, the T5 lighting is most likely your best all around choice. Before you run out and spend any money, why not wait and see how you make out with the existing lighting? You can always spend more money in the future.

Of course, if money is no object, you can always get a couple of those high end LED modules at about $400 each, and go to town on all the special lighting effects, and be the envy of all your aquarium keeping friends (grin)
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
NCSteve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have a 40b and I'm running a Marineland Double Bright 36-48" and found it wasn't enough light for the width of the 40b. So I bought a 36" T5NO to go with it. I think u can pick one up for less than $60 now. My Blyxa is doing great with these 2 lights.
NCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
stonevs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
If your on a budget, the T5 lighting is most likely your best all around choice. Before you run out and spend any money, why not wait and see how you make out with the existing lighting? You can always spend more money in the future.

Of course, if money is no object, you can always get a couple of those high end LED modules at about $400 each, and go to town on all the special lighting effects, and be the envy of all your aquarium keeping friends (grin)
Ya I'm going to wait it out like you say, and I don't think I'll be getting any $400 lights in the near future!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
stonevs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
I have a 40b and I'm running a Marineland Double Bright 36-48" and found it wasn't enough light for the width of the 40b. So I bought a 36" T5NO to go with it. I think u can pick one up for less than $60 now. My Blyxa is doing great with these 2 lights.
Huh, ya the mix of the 2 crossed my mind, but I thought the color of the two different lights wouldn't mix together well in the aquarium for a good look. Could you send a picture of your aquarium?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

whats your budget?
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
stonevs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens81jw View Post
whats your budget?
Up to $80.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
NCSteve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonevs View Post
Huh, ya the mix of the 2 crossed my mind, but I thought the color of the two different lights wouldn't mix together well in the aquarium for a good look. Could you send a picture of your aquarium?
Here's one of my latest pics. I'm running 2 6500k bulbs in the t5.

NCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Kareen
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

T5's would be the way to go for your 40 breeder I have a 40 b,w/ T5's plants grow good.
Kareen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
stonevs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteve View Post
Here's one of my latest pics. I'm running 2 6500k bulbs in the t5.

Thanks! Ya I'll do T5's and LEDs.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

T5s create alot more heat than LEDs and use more watts. Plus it gets expensive because you must change them out more frequently compared to LEDs. Save your pennies and go for an affordable light such as the Finnex Ray II DS line. They use Dual High Output leds at 7k which gives around medium to medium high light depending on substrate height and mount height. The price is only $142 for a 36". I am saving now to get (4) for my (4) 40s. They have a great name and alot of people on here use their lights. Lowe is a rep from them and you can PM him and he can help if needed. I was told that most use 1 LED strip to save money but you can always add another if you want more light. Remember the light height over the tank controls the intensity.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g

Last edited by flight50; 08-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: typo
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
stonevs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
T5s create alot more heat that LEDs and use more watts. Plus you it gets expensive because you must change them out more frequently compared to LEDs. Save your pennies and go for an affordable light such as the Finnex Ray II DS line. They use Dual High Output leds at 7k with gives around medium to medium high light depending on substrate height. The price is only $142 for a 36". I am saving now to get (4) for my (4) 40s. They have a great name and alot of people on here use their lights. Lowe is a rep from them and you can PM him and he can help if needed. I was told that most use 1 LED strip to save money but you can always add another if you want more light. Remember the light height over the tank controls the intensity.
That sounds like a great solution but it's a little spendy for my budget.

Tags
36", led, t5s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.