Dwarf Puffers it is!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-08-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Decided to go with the dwarf puffers in my planted tank. Hopefully will go get some this weekend if my tank is cycled (need to test the water).

I know this limits my algae control but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. From what I've read, dwarves will sometimes leave ghost shrimp alone, and others have observed them attacking and killing ghost shrimp. Guess I will try it out.

Got some Malaysian Trumpet Snails today. I think they'll be ok since they bury themselves in the substrate during the day and only come out at night. They have harder shells and I don't know if the puffers could kill them or not. I am going to get some regular pond snails going in a jar or something, though, since they're important for the puffers' diet.

Can't wait to get the little guys! I know most people go with community fish in planted tanks, and I still may do that, but for now I want to try the puffers out. I don't really like tetras (I think they're ugly and their "twitchin" irritates me for some reason).

Realy good site about dwarves, although his english isn't so great: http://www.rr.iij4u.or.jp/~kohda/en/en-dwarfpuffer.htm
jread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

If you don't like "twitchy" fish, you should try observing some Rams. They are very pretty FW fish and oh so graceful. When they move it's like they move because they have a purpose. They know exactly where they want to go and they get there and then they stop on a dime. Very graceful fish.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 2 dwarf puffers in my 93 gallon planted community. They've been in my tank for about 2 weeks now and are the newest additions. I have yet to see either of them harrass the other fish, though they do chase each other around.

Be sure to keep plenty of pond snails in the tank. After two weeks, my tank substrate is littered with snail shells. I'm not sure how large your tank is, but I believe my tank is large enough to provide the puffers with a constant source of live food.

In terms of behavior, these guys will not dissapoint you . Up until just this week, they've been pretty shy. Now, however, I see them hovering around the front of the tank, usually in the left corner. At night, as soon as the lights go off, the two usually meet in the middle forefront of the tank. They circle around each other very slowly, always keeping one eye on each other. They do chase each other around, but I've yet to see injuries on either of them.
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

does either of them have a dark line along the side?

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
jread
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternum23
I have 2 dwarf puffers in my 93 gallon planted community. They've been in my tank for about 2 weeks now and are the newest additions. I have yet to see either of them harrass the other fish, though they do chase each other around.

Be sure to keep plenty of pond snails in the tank. After two weeks, my tank substrate is littered with snail shells. I'm not sure how large your tank is, but I believe my tank is large enough to provide the puffers with a constant source of live food.

In terms of behavior, these guys will not dissapoint you . Up until just this week, they've been pretty shy. Now, however, I see them hovering around the front of the tank, usually in the left corner. At night, as soon as the lights go off, the two usually meet in the middle forefront of the tank. They circle around each other very slowly, always keeping one eye on each other. They do chase each other around, but I've yet to see injuries on either of them.
Yes, I've gotta get my snail population going. Right now I just have a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but they're beneficial and I don't want them to all get eaten

Sounds to me like your two dwarves are both males based on the behavior you described.
jread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yup, thats where I was headed...

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

So a stripe means it's a male? In that case, I think I got two females .
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

yea, MTS are not good for pufferfish. Try to get all the MTS out of the puffer tank asap. There shail is too hard, and can break the beek of the puffer, causing bad injurys. Take them out.
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2004, 10:10 PM   #9
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I may have worded that incorrectly, the stripe is underneath the belly, but is less visible in young ones.

Here I found a picture online for you

Might also wanna catch this link for less "yeay puffers are great" info...
http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6919

Still think I'm gonna get me some once the fry are gone...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.