Jake's 18" Rimless AquaTop Bow-Front Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nice driftwood, Raven!
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
thejoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

For what your getting, I don't think you can beat the price. Very nice!
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosspearl View Post
Nice driftwood, Raven!
Thanks, I got it picked from ADG for $30. I recently got more Hornwood and I don't know what to do with this piece since it doesn't fit with my aquascape.
I3raven is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

I3raven: Appreciate the offer!

mosspearl: Hoping to come up with enough money within the next couple months to pick up at 18" Current Satellite Plus. Also considering a 12" Wave Point fixture because I'm not sure I want anything obstructing the top of the tank.

In the interim, I've got a great AquaTop LED, lots of CFLs and two spare Fluval clamp lamps. Worst case scenario, I'll pick up another 18" BeamsWork fixture.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

No problem, keep us updated!
I3raven is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

A few images I neglected to upload the other day…

Black background added:

As you can see, the AquaTop Nano Type-P LED fixture provides plenty of light - probably medium:

Though I'm picking up a couple more cubes, I may end up using the light on this tank for a while.

Have a bunch of new driftwood on the way but I'm now considering turning this into a small riparium with 1/3 to 1/2 water - with just crypts and anubias in the water. Would be an ideal habitat for the 12-15 Corydoras habrosus I've got.

So many options!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Just traded my old iPhone for an Eheim 2211. Should give me plenty of flexibility. If I decide to go the riparium route, I wouldn't have been able to use an HOB, anyway.

Also realized I've got some spare Zoo Med lamp stands. Which means I may just use a daylight CFL in a dome (already have both) suspended above the tank. Thank goodness my frugal side has kicked in for a moment.

Now I need to think about substrate. If I go the riparium route, I'll likely just use pool filter sand or Black Diamond blasting grit. If I decide to go all in on a scaped, planted tank, I've got both Aquasoil and Azoo Plant Grower Bed. Think I'll be waiting to see what kind of hardscape material I come up with before making a substrate decision. If I go with rocks, I'll probably use Azoo and keep Tangerine Tigers or something similar. If I go with driftwood, will also use Aquasoil and keep Blue Bees or Princess Bees, as I mentioned earlier. Time will tell.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 08-11-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Substrate thoughts
Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anxious to see how it all turns out. Glad to see the AquaTop Nano light fits. A bit spendy for my budget, but it is sweet. May have to budget it in come tax return time.
Member in good standing

Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I'm hoping to use the LED on a 12" cube. That's why I'm motivated to figure out other options for this tank.

Here's hoping I don't let myself down - or anyone else - with the scape. Really like showing off these lower cost tanks because I stand by my assertion that they rival my favorite higher end nano tanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I made the typical newbie mistakes when I began earlier this year and stuffed my tanks with all sorts of plants while I had the budget. I'd always wanted to do planted tanks, but years ago, it cost a fortune to get the right lighting and so on. Now that I've had more time to really see what's available, I've got completely different ideas in my head, but my budget is shot. I've learned from your journals that less can be more...
Member in good standing

Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's not really pressure. Just the excitement of starting a new scape.

Less can absolutely be more. Both in terms of plants, material and even equipment. Coming up with setups that are easy to maintain is a requirement when one has a serious case of Multiple Tank Syndrome.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can imagine. I've got 4 small tanks... 1 10g and the rest smaller. Then I have several planted jars just to hold the excess greenery I trim, not counting the big plastic bin on my back porch holding all the extra frogbit. I don't do any high tech and I'm amazed at how fast things grow... even things I've been told are slow, like crypts. There are a few plants I've grown to truly love, but the rest I wouldn't mind trading or giving away once I know what I really want. But that all comes with experience, right? That's why I follow people like you who know what they're doing. It obviously doesn't save me from making all the mistakes, but it helps me through example.

I have learned I want shrimp, so I've got two nanos set aside for them. I was going to get some from an RAOK, but it didn't work out. In the meantime, my snails are enjoying an occasional (1x month) treat with your veggie sticks with the added calcium. I figure it can only help keep their shells strong. Slow and steady, that's me.
Member in good standing

Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #28
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Got some great new driftwood pieces from Alpha Pro Breeders:

Probably going to use it for my 12gal but some of it may end up going into this tank.

Have some additional driftwood coming soon.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Now back to the journal!

The tank is an 18" AquaTop Euro Style Bow-Front, obviously. Measures 18" x 10.75" x 10.75" and holds roughly 8.7 gallons.

The goods:
  • I'll either use the Nano Type-P LED I've got or will try to save up to buy an 18" Current Satellite Plus.
  • I know I'm going to do some sort of a dry start, so it could be 4-6 weeks before it's flooded. Maybe dwarf hair grass and red stems? Or maybe a field of Marsilea minuta. Feel free to yell suggestions my way. Whatever I end up doing, it'll need to be simple and suitable for shrimp.
  • Have some great driftwood, leftover black lava rock and easily 100 pounds of other rock to pick through.
  • Torn on filtration. Depending upon the budget I can come up with, I'll likely end up with an AC30. But really want to get another Eheim 2211/2213. Or maybe one of the neat hang-on filters from AquaTop that have a spraybar. Can even be expanded to double the filtration capacity.
  • For substrate, I have all the options. ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, Azoo Plant Grower Bed, UP Aqua Shrimp Sand, Black Diamond, Pool Filter Sand, Safe T Sorb, et al.
  • Depending upon what I can get my hands on, these are the shrimp I'm considering: Tangerine Tigers, Blue Bees, Princess Bees.

Now I just need to cross my fingers that I can sell everything I own to finish the tank - ha!

Thanks for reading along. I'll update with more photos as I add a black background and put together some potential hardscape plans.

Will this be a high light tank, or low? Looks like low from the fixtures mentioned?

What light ended up on your 12g long?
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Still determining light levels. But either the Type-P or the Satellite Plus would provide medium light. Aiming for low-medium, I think, but have everything I need to go high-tech with CO2 and such.

I've only had one fixture on my 12gal - Marineland Double Bright. Will likely replace it sometime soon with a Current fixture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.