12g Low-Tech Puffer Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

12g Low-Tech Puffer Tank

Thought I'd post a log of my 12g dwarf puffer tank. My other aquarium of the same size just has one Amazon Sword in the middle of it so I thought for this one I'd try a little harder with the plants!

I was tempted to go high-tech but after asking advise from some very helpful planted tank members I decided that that wasn't the way to go, I want to spend more of my time caring for the fish than the plants!!

So this is a low-tech set up, the filter is currently on its lowest flow rate, around 350l/h. I have stolen the filter media from my other tank to cycle this one so I am currently dosing ammonia daily to keep the filter going until I think the plants are ready for the fish!

Substrate is inert pewter sand. The 10w led light is on 6 hours a day and I will be dosing 1ml of liquid carbon daily. No ferts as yet because I don’t want to mess up the filter cycle and ammonia tests I'm doing.

Just got it planted tonight so I'm yet to see how things turn out!!

Plants I currently have are:

Saggitaria Subulata
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Cryptocoryne Petchii
Java Fern (waiting to be attached to the rock)
Vallisnerias Spiralis
Vallisnerias Torta
Limnobium Laevigatum

Let me know what you think, any tips etc on getting these plants to grow will be helpful :-)
yamaha1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
Mike00726
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great environment for the puffer. Where is he?
Mike00726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

With all that white sand and the speaker, the guy will have to wear BOTH sunglasses and earplugs

Looking good. I might pull the vals a bit up - I think they sit a bit too deep in the substrate.

I personally would not dose 'liquid carbon' daily as I do not see the need for it: not that much light anyways. The vals and crypts are rumored to be sensitive to stuff like Excel. Maybe 1-2 times per week at 1ml max.

v3
Old 05-31-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00726 View Post
Great environment for the puffer. Where is he?
I hope so!! He's not in there yet, I did find some at a LFS but they lost their stock overnight! Keeping them in brackish water! Idiots. So I've had to order them from somewhere else, they should get some in in about 2 weeks.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
With all that white sand and the speaker, the guy will have to wear BOTH sunglasses and earplugs

Looking good. I might pull the vals a bit up - I think they sit a bit too deep in the substrate.

I personally would not dose 'liquid carbon' daily as I do not see the need for it: not that much light anyways. The vals and crypts are rumored to be sensitive to stuff like Excel. Maybe 1-2 times per week at 1ml max.

v3
Thanks for the advice! I will cut the dose of carbon down to once a week with the ferts. I'm just scared of the plants dying, whenever I've put plants in in the past they always die within a week or so! Don't know what goes wrong!

And I'm hoping my Lilly Pads grow quickly to provide a bit more shade for him! And the speaker is only used to watch movies and never too loud as my neighbors complain :-(
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice looking tank. If those Vals arent used to Excel, it's just about guaranteed they will melt at first. They will continue to thrive however, putting out new healthy growth. But a lot of the existing leaves are likely to melt away over the course of a couple weeks. At least that's been my experience. It's not bad if you dont mind them looking a bit rough for a month or so. Mine are doing great now at 2X daily dose.

Im not sure how a weekly dose would affect them, Ive always used it daily. It's only active for about 24 hours (or less, depending on who you ask) so I doubt you'd get much benefit from a single weekly dose. You could always start with less than a full dose every day, or every other day, then slowly increase it.

Ive never seen any adverse effects on my three varieties of crypts, initially or otherwise.

Last edited by burr740; 05-31-2014 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: added something
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Nice looking tank. If those Vals arent used to Excel, it's just about guaranteed they will melt at first. They will continue to thrive however, putting out new healthy growth. But a lot of the existing leaves are likely to melt away over the course of a couple weeks. At least that's been my experience. It's not bad if you dont mind them looking a bit rough for a month or so. Mine are doing great now at 2X daily dose.

Im not sure how a weekly dose would affect them, Ive always used it daily. It's only active for about 24 hours (or less, depending on who you ask) so I doubt you'd get much benefit from a single weekly dose. You could always start with less than a full dose every day, or every other day, then slowly increase it.

Ive never seen any adverse effects on my three varieties of crypts, initially or otherwise.
Good idea!! Don't know why I didn't think of smaller doses! I'll go for a quarter dose for a week and slowly up it as the weeks go by.

I hope my vals don't completely dissapear, I'd be a bit reluctant to add the little puffers if there's no tall leaves for them to hide in!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Quick update, new leaves opening on the Lim already...

And after much deliberation and not finding the right shaped piece of wood for the fern, I decided to attach it to one side of the rock and keep an open area of sand so its not too crowded.... and moved one of the twisted val bunches to the front, hopefuly planted at a more appropriate depth now :-)

Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
yamaha1634
Algae Grower

Quick update, the cycle is taking longer than anticipated so I don't think we will be ready for fish for at least 4 weeks.

No real signs of melting plants as yet, been 5 days so I'm hopeful that the quarter dose of liquid carbon is not too harsh :-)