AquaTop Nano Type-P LED Fixture - Initial Review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

AquaTop Nano Type-P LED Fixture - Initial Review

I posted this initial review of my new LED fixture in my Triple Cubes journal, which you may access here.

But I felt it was more appropriate to share in the Lighting section so more people see it. I'm really pleased.

Here goes...

You folks know how uptight I am when it comes to quality and should understand by now that I have unreasonably high expectations for equipment in this hobby. So keep that in mind when reading.

This may be my most favorite nano LED for rimless tanks yet. Not remotely kidding. It's so bright I'd have to use CO2 on my 10" cube, as you'll see below.

The unboxing:

Up close:

It's really heavy duty. Absolutely nothing cheap about it. The anodized black aluminum heatsink is a really nice touch. Heatsinks seem to be an afterthought for most sub-$250/$300 fixtures these days.

Includes a handy on/off toggle:

Assembled:

Super-bright:

Above my 10"/25cm cube:

Above an empty 20gal long:

Above my 5.5gal:

Above an empty 18" AquaTop Euro Style tank:

Basically, I am in love with this fixture. The price point initially turned me off but I've been through so many fixtures recently that it's a no brainer. Its clean lines and no fuss setup makes it ideal for high-clarity and other rimless planted tanks. It's more than strong enough to grow just about any plant you can keep.

There's a serious dearth of great LED fixtures for rimless tanks - at least as far as not obstructing the view of the aquascape and top of the tank go. I think AquaTop hit the nail on the head with this one.

Did I mention how excited and relieved I am to have finally found what I've been looking for for MONTHS?

Long story short: I will absolutely be buying another 25cm cube so I can go high-tech with it. Can't wait to share my long-term impressions.

You can find the fixture here with free shipping.

Perfect for a 12" cube and if you want to be really fancy with a 10" cube? Don't hesitate.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Im super glad it works well for you. Im trying to find a goos light for my 60P...maybe 2 of these?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

That black bowfront tank looks super nice!
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

tropicalmackdaddy: For a 60-P, you'll probably want to go with something that's 24" wide. But it really depends upon what you want to grow. For a wider tank like that, if you don't want to go the CO2 route, I'd consider a Current Satellite Plus fixture.

gus6464: I have some additional photos of the bow-front in my cubes journal. Will start a journal for the tank itself shortly. I REALLY like it. But not as much as I like this fixture - ha.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Something else about the fixture I forgot to mention.

You don't have to attach it to the arm/stand thing! There are no screw holes, it's just a solid piece. So it could very easily be suspended above a tank with little effort. Wouldn't take much for someone to create a couple small acrylic clips to go on either side.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

Thanks for the review, Ive been thinking about replacing the fixture over my 12" cube. Im using the Current satellite on another cube but the spread front to back isnt great. Think this woud cover a 12" all the way around well?

Is the switch hard wired? Looks like you may even be able to add a dimmer to it as well. From the switch to the power supply, it it the standard DC connection?
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

A dimmer definitely wouldn't be necessary and I'm not sure you could add one. Yep, the switch is hardwired to the fixture and snaps on to the power supply.

If you take a look at the photos above, you'll see what the spread is like. Would be perfect for a 12" cube.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looks good. Do you have a par meter? Just curious how accurate their readings are. May consider this for my 6 gallon but would probably need to consider CO2.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I'll definitely be measuring things once I get my PAR meter back. Loaned it to a professor pal but I should hopefully have it back soon.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The price point initially turned me off...
You and everyone else, apparently. Was browsing the site this morning and they've cut the price in half. Not sure if this is a permanent reduction but there's no mention of a sale.

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tp.html

Based the way it connects I'm guessing it would work with this? That'd be killer for dawn/dusk.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_U...LTACTM-vi.html

Are you currently using this on tank? Further impressions? When installed on a tank, is there any sag of the fixture?

Last edited by Jack Gilvey; 10-13-2013 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: add
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

My comments about price were two months ago. That's their sale price.

You cannot/should not use it with a dimmer from Current - which should only be used with a Current-branded fixture.

Sag? How/why would there be sag? It's a solid fixture.

Haven't set it up on a permanent tank yet but plan to within the next ten days.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
My comments about price were two months ago. That's their sale price.

You cannot/should not use it with a dimmer from Current - which should only be used with a Current-branded fixture.

Sag? How/why would there be sag? It's a solid fixture.

Haven't set it up on a permanent tank yet but plan to within the next ten days.
Cool, thanks. The $49 seems more realistic so I can see why they're doing it. Strange about the Current only working with Current fixtures, they claim "works with any 12-24VDC LED light using a standard 2.5mm x 5mm DC plug". Hence my curiosity.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I would take Current's claims with a grain of salt. But definitely wouldn't use it with this fixture.

In all honesty, the $100 price point is extremely fair. $50? I think it's a steal. I'm actually tempted to buy another. Fighting the urge.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm guessing they weren't moving at all if they had to halve the price. I see this as competing with Fugeray, etc. In any event, my wallet damns you for making me keep an eye on this one. Very tempting.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The color temperature on these are much nicer than the rebranded Finnex fixtures. Just my personal preference.

If you have a cube or smaller tank? These AquaTops are perfect.