Greetings :: Newbie 29gal Paludarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #1
Chuck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Folks,

I've been lurking on this board for awhile... How cool !!! Your combined knowledge in this data base, and your beautiful tank pics have really inspired me (along w/ my Wife's encouragement ) to try my hand at this hobby... I've kept houseplants for years with success, and a few fish tanks with some relatively good success, so why not give it a shot... ? Thought I'd get the water, and soil plants going first, and then perhaps add some snails and/or neon tetras... The pictures show most of what I've done so far, but I'm gonna try to make one of the DIY CO2 devices that are up here, and really grow it out... =) Now all I have to do is learn everything in between I guess... =)

Chuck
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
Chuck
Algae Grower

Okay, here's what I have so far : : (sorry for the low quality pics)

1/2 filled 29 gal. Paludarium (sp?, meaning??)

- Terrestrial Slate Island container contraption, holds FoxFarm potting soil, and is water tight
- Pea gravel, flourite mix
- 301 Powerhead on canister, for filtering approx. 14-15 gallons of tank water (?)
-150w underwater heater
- DIY hood (still needs difuser/cover), compact floros - one warm light (rated 150w ?), the other a daylight (rated 100w ?)
- Soil plants, local moss (shout outs to the moss tutorials.. I've always wondered how to propagate moss =),
bonsai hibiscus, baby tears, and another tropical cover not pictured, nothing planted yet
- No underwater plants yet, but I really dig the java moss, and the surface plants I've seen... Riccia (sp?)

I'd graciously accept any info/suggestions on : :

What kind of short, hardy, easy newbie plants could I get, that will thrive above or below water ??

Backdrop? I was planning on a mirror cut to size, and that might help some with light..

How can I disguise my filter and heater together ?? Box perhaps, or plants and bubblers ??

Are aquatic snails a pest to terrestrial plants ??

This is probably a stupid one but, have any of you tried using cloning gel, to propegate new growth ??

Any help with any of these things would be very very appreciated... =)

Chuck
Old 01-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Zurp
Planted Member

First things first... (You KNOW I have to say something! Take my comments lightly, I can easily seem like a know-it-all!)

Personally, I would try to get away from those HOT bulbs. They have a greater heat output per lumen then a fluorescent bulb, and cost five times as much to run. 150W bulb = 2780 lumens = 18.5 lumens per watt. A fluorescent fish-tank plant/aqua full spectrum light, "Life Glo", made by, "Hagen" (15W T-8 18in. bulb = 1000 lumens = 66.6 lumens per watt), and has a more natural noon sun spectrum. Translation, right now you have a fancy EZ-Bake oven, half full with water, that will be 1/4 full of water in about a week.

Since you want Terra and Aqua, I would use a 6700K (Full noon spectrum) tube in the back for the terra, and a 10000K (Standard underwater growing spectrum) lamp in the front for the aqua. Resting on a full glass top, that you can crack open to reduce heat and humidity. For size, I would recommend the 24inch tubes rated at 20Watts. The standard watts per gallon formula will not apply here, because of the sheltered water, and distance from the bulb. This should be enough to keep you growing, and not farming...

Secondly, I would move the heater and filter/diffuser directly behind the island that you have. This will help hide it a little. You can further hide it by using creative rock and plant placement. Just don't lean any stones against the heater, that may stress the glass and cause it to crack. Ultimately you may be better with a mini heater, since this is half full, and will have heat coming from the land. (Composting generates heat.)

I am also curious about the wood holding up the island... Will that rot, sending your island sinking to the bottom?

Otherwise, it looks great. A real novel idea, with the island setup. The mirror thing sounds great also. You can see what a mirror can do at http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2518 she has a link to her photos. She didn't just add a mirror, she replaced her whole back glass with a mirror!
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Anonymous
Planted Member

Gracious thanks for the reply and info Zurp,

You've got alot of cool ideas on this board I'd like to experiment with !!!

I hear ya about the lighting, I was about half way through with it when I thought about heat, as I've a 10 gal "greenhouse box" with similar lighting that I've gotta vent to keep everything going smooth... Uhhg...Spilt milk..

Well the hood isn't finished yet, still needs a diffuser, and vent, but as it stands now the temps are; 75 above, 72 below, (which isn't too bad ??)... Think I'll just wait and see how the light spectrum combo works out for now, but if it doesn't I can always use this hood for my grapefruit bonsai I guess.. :roll: Are there any good lights that will run from a lightbulb socket ??

The log has been "painted' with watered down silicone that soaked up in the wood a bit, looks water tight... I know it looks sorta precarious there, but I don't see any probs right now... I just really like the look of the floating island, kinda Ukioe... Perhaps I'll try stabilizing it a bit more when I take it out for planting...

Any ideas for under water cover ??

Again, thanks for the advice...
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Zurp
Planted Member

I am not much for underwater plants, you will have to visit the aquarium posts for that.

As for the screw in bulbs, Yes! They have screw in fluorescent bulbs. They are not as effective, or long lasting, but they will do the job.

Here is a link, not one I would personally use, but this is what you are looking for.

http://www.goodmart.com/products/bul...wist_shape.htm

You would want two 23W bulbs, around 6500K or higher.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hey Chuck!
Welcome to the board! We are glad to have you as a new member!

I don't know much about vivariums or terrariums, but I do like the look of what your working on Chuck.

Keep the pictures comming!

Mike
Old 01-08-2004, 02:27 AM   #7
Chuck
Algae Grower

Hey Thanks Zurp,
Those are exactly what I've been looking for at my local grow shop, but they never have em... I went and got two 19w (daylight 6500k) bulbs today at HD, and a little computer fan to vent the hood.. I can see the heat problems with the floros already, but hopefully they'll be okay for now anyway... Great pics of that mirrored tank as well, it's freegin' huge...!!!

Gracious thanks for the welcome Mike, here are a couple more pics, I've not had alot of time to work on the tank, but it's nice to watch the moss & bubbles for now, but I plan on getting some snails and fish eventually.. One shot shows the local bark moss I collected and am propagating (mid-MI winter), and another is of the "tree frog"(glass bead) I bought from one of my Wife's shows... That might be the closest thing to a frog that this tank sees...:lol:

Perhaps these questions should be on another board. ?? Still looking for short, low light, plants and cover, that will work for this tank... There's about 9 inches of water to work with... The babys tears may start over the side eventually, but I don't know how they'd fair completely submerged.. ?? I wanna put something around the bowl area of the island, and the log base to cover it up as well, I'm seeing just a blanket of Java moss maybe ??... I don't know any aquarium shops in my area that carry Java Moss & most of the plants I see on PlantedTank, sounds like the only other way to get some of these plants is over the web ??

Thanks again for the support...

Chuck
Old 01-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
Zurp
Planted Member

Mosses make excellent low light ground cover, however, I found that they demand low light in order to thrive. There are always rare exceptions.

Swing by the swap area, you might find a generous individual who wouldn't mind sending a little sample, or a whole free plant... minus shipping! With an interesting tank like this, you might be able to pull a deal or two.

I would already start to trim back the plants in there, or tuck them into the pot. Let only new runners and growth poke out. Use what you have to add some volume inside the pot area, adding to the plants shade. I am almost sure that is a medium light plant, which now sits in direct sunlight! Try to get some large chunks of bark, to hide the pottery, just prop it up against the pot, and let moss and runners interlock them.

I love the look of slate in a tank, reminds me of a quarry lake.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
Chuck
Algae Grower

You're right... I gotta get those outa there for now don't I... I'll move the plants back to my 10gal, as they're starting to go a bit limp being that close to the light/heat, and I don't want the white moss mold giving those plants root rot either... I'm so jonesing everything, I just gotta let things take there own time I guess... ops:

The slate is from our trip out to Ithica to see one of my buddies out there years ago.. There's all these slate waterfalls in NY, I remember I had fun stacking the big pieces I found into "zen shrines" (that would wash away when the river came back), and I brought back some of the smaller pieces... Now I wanna go back and get some more...

So folks might actually give me a culture, or whole plant I can propegate ?? How cool is that.... After the moss has grown in, and I've planted the top half, I'll post on the Swap Area and see what happens...

Gracious Thanks for all the replies,

The Lyfe so Short,
The Craft so Long to Learn...

Chuck
Old 01-17-2004, 02:46 AM   #10
Chuck
Algae Grower

Blimey... Just got the top half planted (bit of a chore, as I needed to use a tiny palette knife to get it in without damaging too many stems) Also, got some moneywort for below water, and a tiny piece of annual bamboo I've been keeping in a jar my Wife made, it's fun to see it sprouting now that it thinks it's spring.. (I've gotta hack through the stuff with a machete' in the summertime... :x ) Any suggestions, and/or like Zurp said donations.. ?? :roll:

I know it's not alot to go from yet, but I thought I'd post anyway...

Chuck
Old 01-17-2004, 02:52 AM   #11
Chuck
Algae Grower

Couple more... One shows the simple DC vent system hooked up, and is cooling things nicely... I get the same temp above as below now...

Chuck
Old 01-17-2004, 08:28 AM   #12
Zurp
Planted Member

Looks great, By the way, if you want some Ceratopteris (water sprites), I have more than plenty to give.

They grow mostly as surface plants, which may shade your water a little too much. These can be planted, but will sprout upward, with lower half dying. The new sprouts come from the corners of the larger leaves, and float upward if released.

I use mine to provide a watery pad for my frogs, so they don't fall through and drown.

NOTE: Trimming must be done backwards... trim the bottom and replant the top. The top is the younger breed of the lower. This is not a true single plant, this plant is a grouped communal, similar to the life a sphagnum moss.

This plant will help clear green-water and helps to remove unwanted nutrients.

The bad side... This plant may be hard to get rid of. Like duck-weed, spores can hide and sprout months after removal from the tank. This plant may also overshadow plants that need high light.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:24 AM   #13
Chuck
Algae Grower

Gracious thanks for the offer Zurp,
I can't believe the generosity around here, awesome... You folks must be growing jungles out there to have this stuff lying around...

I looked up some pics of water sprite, and like it when it's planted w/ the tiny pine like leaves, but I think you're right in that it might be too much of a light blocker for the ground cover to grow out... Not alot of room in there...

I did just win an Aquabid today though.... Hopefully it's a good deal, I know it wasn't as good as the last two I lost... w/ shipping it turns out to be $10 per golfball sized ball of Java Moss, and I'll be getting 3 of em... I can hear myself trying to explain that bill... LOL... "oh yeah 30 dollars on moss, yeah that's right"...

Also went to a pet shop that I hadn't gone to before today, and was gonna buy some rummy nose tetras, but they also had baby alligators there, 3 squished in a tank about the size of mine, ridiculous... So I passed, but I probably won't be able to find those tetras anywhere else around here... :evil:
Well I'll put some more pics up when i get the moss delivered, and planted... Thanks Again...

Chuck
Old 01-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #14
Zurp
Planted Member

If you decide that you want the water sprites, send me a (Privete Message), to keep the board clean, and because I ocationally loose which posts that I said things in.

Thanks,
Jason D'Angelo
Old 01-23-2004, 06:47 AM   #15
Chuck
Algae Grower

Okay, finally got some Anima for the tank...
Went to a nice LFS and got 7 neon tetras, and two species of snail... Brought the water to specs, and everything seems to dig the new digs.. Had some circular turbulence happening w the filter, and had to switch the configuration for the neons, but despite that, the little scrappers are acclimating nicely...

Also got my java moss in the mail today, but haven't yet planted it... Gonna have to do a search on how to weight this stuff down, and train it to shapes... I'll post some more, after all that's been planted...

Chuck