Plant and start up info appreciated.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
CrazyMidwesterner
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner

Plant and start up info appreciated.

It's been a long time since I've posted. A while ago I bought a 75 gallon aquarium, an XP3 filter and would like to build a planted freshwater tank. All I know is what i have read online, form this forum, from books, and I've already read Rexx's guide. Rex your guide is helpful by the way thank you. Reading is one thing experience is another. I am in every sense of the word a fish tank noob.

After much research I have decided to go low tech. My wallet can't afford the CO2 and super lights

I plan on putting many small fish in there and would like a little information on what plants to use, how many plants I should start with and an estimate on how much it will cost me. I was hoping I could start with very few fish and plants and just replant the trimming. I know this would take a while but I think could save me a lot of money. I also heard on this forum that planting lightly at first may invite algae. Will planting lightly give me algae trouble if I stock lightly as well?

My setup will be a 75 gallon 48"X18"X20" or close to that, a Rena XP3, Soilmaster select substrate, and I can range my lighting from 80 watts to 240 watts but it is NO flourescents. Again low tech minimum maintenece is my goal.

I've had this tank for awhile but sheer fear of utter and complete algae thriving failure has stopped me from actually starting the tank so far.

So I guess the question is how many plants and what kind of plants, and how many fish and what kind of fish should I start the cycling process with.

Any advice would be apreciated.
CrazyMidwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
cornhusker
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Default low tech 75

you have allready had the most expence taken care of.wash your gravel good.make sure you have enough to taper back to front.shoot for 4" inches at the back.most agree to have as many plants to start with,even cheepies.use seachem prime to treat water.their product ,stability,works good to add bacteria to new setup.excell used as per instructions is a must for low tech tanks,new tanks for sure,to allevate algae problems.add a small powerhead for good circulation.add your fawna slowly over several weeks till tank gets going good.shoot for 1 1/2 to 2 watts per gal for 9 t0 10 hrs on a timer.the only testing to do is ammonia.sit back and ENJOY.if your interested i can set you up with a plant package. cornhusker
cornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
CrazyMidwesterner
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner

Thanks for the reply.

I am absolutely interested in a plant package. My msn messenger contact is connected just send me some details.

I have a buddy that has an established tank and I was thinking about just taking a bit of his gravel to help jumpstart mine, but I will look into the product mentioned also. I haven't seen his tank so am a bit worried I might introduce something into my tank I don't want.

I was planning on using Prime so its good to get some reassurance there. A freind of mine also gave me a small powerhead so I will put that to use as well.
CrazyMidwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.