10 Gallon Planted Journal "START OF THE REBIRTH" .Updated 9/2/07. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #31
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

What's your hardscape look like to get it to look like that?

I like how the rotala sp. green looks like it's "weeping" over the side...so I was wondering what the hardscape was. =)
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #32
Color Me Blue
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's a beautiful tank with lovely colors going on! I see several berried RCS....you are going to have quite a swarm of cherries soon enough.

Eheim Pimpette #235: Eheim 2217 Classic Canister Filter

Color Me Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #33
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Recently trimmed the tank. The Limnophila is still there, just hidden behind the rotala's. Trimmed the HM to get a "slope" look. Also trimmed the Wallichii to spread it around some.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #34
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

beautiful growth! I like how you got your HC to grow on that driftwood.
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #35
mr.sandman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your Wallichii is also showing its beautiful colors. Looking good!
mr.sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

...................purty~

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
fresh_lynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #37
apistaeasy
Planted Member

PTrader: (57/100%)

What is your technique for the HC growing on wood?
apistaeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #38
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by apistaeasy View Post
What is your technique for the HC growing on wood?
It was an experiment I tried because I didn't like the HC as a carpet plant, but also didn't want to throw it away either. I took a small clump of it and held it down by putting it underneath one of the anubias roots. You have to do it very carefully though or else the HC will just fall apart. You could also use fishing line or thread, pretty much the same as putting moss on driftwood.

The HC doesnt really bond to the driftwood as it grows, but it will all hold together as a single mass as long as you don't fiddle with it. Although come to think of it I haven't really tested it to see if it is stuck to the driftwood.

The growth is also very slow, most likely because it is meant to be in soil and due to the small leave size it isn't absorbing that much nutrients. I have noticed though that you should not have it shaded what so ever or it wont grow at all. It also seems to be growing downward, attempting to get to the floor I think. It would be really cool if I could get it to grow downward and have it sort of "hang off of the driftwood.

It is a pretty cool experiment I am trying because I really haven't seen any tanks with HC on driftwood, although I am sure there are some out there.

-Ryan
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #39
logan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks like you might have to move that rotala green to the back, it looks like it's outpacing the red rear plants...
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #40
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
looks like you might have to move that rotala green to the back, it looks like it's outpacing the red rear plants...
No I trimmed the ones in the back.... The rotala green is a fast grower though.

-Ryan
Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #41
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Really nice! One thing I liked in the earlier shots was the lower growth of the Rotalla green. As it has matured there is a dark band across the middle which is pretty noticeable now, something that always happens as stems run up. Replanting low can fix that easy. The reds are so strong I thought, whoo Photoshop color balance tweaking, but that is beautiful R. wallachii. Have you thought of moving the anubia in total shade. They do great there.
Curious that you said the 40 watts keeps the plants small. I am surprised at that long of photoperiod. Do you mean they won't grow leggy and race up with plenty of wpg / light? I guess that's true. Anyhow, sweet work here. Makes me want to up my wattage.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #42
OregonFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)

A lovely tank !
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #43
will5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5

Hi i have almost the same tank as you except i have 2x25 watt bulbs.

I would like to know what your water is like as far as pH,KH,Co2, and nitrates if you don't mind.

subscribe**

will5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #44
wood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Really nice! One thing I liked in the earlier shots was the lower growth of the Rotalla green. As it has matured there is a dark band across the middle which is pretty noticeable now, something that always happens as stems run up. Replanting low can fix that easy. The reds are so strong I thought, whoo Photoshop color balance tweaking, but that is beautiful R. wallachii. Have you thought of moving the anubia in total shade. They do great there.
Curious that you said the 40 watts keeps the plants small. I am surprised at that long of photoperiod. Do you mean they won't grow leggy and race up with plenty of wpg / light? I guess that's true. Anyhow, sweet work here. Makes me want to up my wattage.
There is almost no tweaking in photoshop. The only reason why I have to do any tweaking is because the light is so bright I need to filter it out. As far as the deep red colors, that is natural.... and not a photoshop trick. If you saw this tank in person you would realize how red the plants really are. The only plant that I am not happy with is the Ammannia. I can get it orange, but not the deep red that I want. Although last night while I was thinking of removing it I decided that it is nice to have an orange plant. I put so much Iron and Phosphate in this tank every other day that I still can't believe how much these plants actually soak them up. Like I have said before, it isn't the size of the tank, its the amount of nutrients the plants consume. I am going to start dosing even more iron and phosphate, so much that you guys will think I am crazy.

The Rotala sp. green is looking real nice. You will see when I update tonight. The HM has covered up the dark stems that you are talking about, and I am starting to get the look that I have wanted.

The anubias just dont fit in this aquascape, in my opinion. The tank is too small to attempt to have them shaded, and where they are now is causing them to get burned. I am going to trim it and let the HC grow on the driftwood even more. HC will thrive when I unshade it by clipping the anubia leaves.

The massive amount of light and photo-period is helping to keep the plants very compact. If I were to use less light it would definitely not look the same. When plants get plenty of light they will not grow in a manner in which they are "searching" for better light. Instead they will prosper and keep a real compact design.

I do not have any test kits other than a ph tester. Last time I checked my Ph was around 6.2. Other than that I have no clue what my CO2, KH, and nitrates are. I do not dose any nitrates in this tank for several reasons.. 1. I have RCS and that is asking for disaster if I overdose on the nitrates. 2. The RCS poop so much that I am positive the plants are getting plenty of nitrates from that alone 3. I believe that nitrates should only be dosed when you have very few inhabitants compared to your tank size. With this 10 gallon and the amount of RCS there is plenty of poop to go around. However, if I were to have a 120gallon with the same amount of inhabitants then I would probably have to get a NO3 test kit and dose NO3 in order to supplement the deficiency.

I have not updated this journal in over 2 weeks. Tonight I will update and actually take pictures using my DSLR camera instead of the old simple Nikon that I was using for all the previous pictures. I will take a lot of good pics and post them.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #45
will5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5

Wow ok thanks.

Just one more question you said
Quote:
I put so much Iron and Phosphate in this tank every other day that I still can't believe how much these plants actually soak them up. Like I have said before, it isn't the size of the tank, its the amount of nutrients the plants consume. I am going to start dosing even more iron and phosphate, so much that you guys will think I am crazy.
How much are you dosing of those then? I am sorry if i am being a PITA but your tank just looks so great and mine does not even compare at all. I am just trying to get some tips from a person with almost the same tank as mine.

will5 is online now   Reply With Quote