4x 5/8" holes along top
Custom oak plywood stand

Projected Inhabitants
Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"

See less See more
#11 ·

That is awesome!

Sent from my Droid Razr M using Tapatalk 4
Thanks! It is a custom tank, built by yours truly. Same with the stand.

o..O sexy
Is that a custom tank?
That's a lot of work and dedication.
Well done and keep updating.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#16 ·
This looks great. I am very interested in the way you put this together.

Can you provide a list of the materials you used? I do not recongize some of them immediately. I am especially interested in learning what that blue material on the bottom is, the netting over the expanding foam, and the paste you textured on top of it. Are those chunks of hardwood between the expanding foam?

I wouldn't mind a list of the plants you have going on the back wall either. I just started my first neo and a couple other sub-tropicals. I would love to put something together like this with a bigger focus on epiphytes.

#18 ·
Thanks all!

The blue material on the bottom is Matala, used here as a false bottom.
The fabric over the foam is Hygrolon, used for growing epiphytes.
The paste is Gorilla Glue being allowed to set up and become very gummy and tacky for adhering down the Hygrolon.
There are chunks of cork bark embedded in the foam. Eggcrate was used to form a skeleton for the expanding foam to try to minimize the amount of foam that would be used solely for underlying structure.

I have strips of ventilation above and below the doors to keep it from fogging up. Originally I was going to use active internal air circulation but opted against it in favor of reducing complexity. In light of the ventilation strips, the gap has a really minimal effect (and had a minimal effect before I chose to add the ventilation). I have a humidity / temperature probe in there now to record max / mins and can report on the stability tomorrow, but I suspect that the tank stays within a pretty nice window.

I'm not terribly concerned about the humidity that escapes the tank as I have some aggressive air conditioning in the house - it evaporates about a few gallons from my larger tanks over a week.

Fantastic work!

There are two sliding front windows... How do you prevent them from fogging up when it is colder in the room than inside the tank? And does the gap between the two panes lead to humidity going into the surrounding area (and dryness going into the viv)?

#19 · (Edited)
Plant list:
Barbosella cuculata
Dracula lotax
Elaphoglossum peltatum
Lepanthes calodictyon
Marcgravia sp.
Peperomia cf. emarginella
Philodendron "Burle Marx Fantasy"
Pleurothallis allenii
Pleurothallis dodsonii
Pleurothallis grobyi
Pleurothallis pectinata
Racinaea crispa
Selaginella mollis
Selaginella sp. Colombia
Trichosalpinx memor
Vriesea erythrodactylon
Vriesea racine
Vriesea vagans

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks! I actually am using an internal fan, I just wanted to keep everything as low profile as possible. With the current setup, everything seems to be quite happy, the front is clear, and you don't even notice the fan (it's in plain sight).

Also, the probe reported a humidity window of 86 to 91 over a 24 hour period, with temperature staying very near 79F. I'd say that's as stable as I could have hoped for :).

#31 ·
Thanks, all!

I don't add any additional fertilizer, the dart frogs in the tank do that for me ;). The tank is lit with 32 3W LEDs divided across 4 "spotlight" units varying between 6500K and a warmer temperature (don't remember) with quite narrow optics (possibly 40 degrees). There is also a supplemental 24" florescent fixture for the rear. These will all be replaced with a monolithic fixture(s) once I get the prototypes made.

beautiful! i cant wait until that moss is a thick mat!
Super impressive! Can't wait to see the updates!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.