Lightening suggestions for 55gal planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Shell4454
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Lightening suggestions for 55gal planted tank

Hi everyone!!
I have decided to add some live plants to my 55 gal angel tank! I have added Eco complete substrate. My husband surprised me with upgraded lighting for my tank! My question is whether or not I need to change the bulbs for best plant growth. I'm wanting to keep low-moderate light plants and ones that are easy to keep. The lighting is solarmax H.O. T5. It has one T5 10,000 K daylight bulb and one T5 Actinic-03 lamp. I believe they are 54 Watts each for a total of 108 watts. And moon lights. I prefer a bluish cast to my tanks.... I don't care for yellow. But I also want to provide proper lighting for the plants. Will these bulbs grow plants ok?
Thanks!!!
Shelly :-)
Shell4454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

You'll probably be ok... but 10,000K / Actinic combos are generally meant for saltwater tanks. If you like the blueish look, you could probably keep the actinic and swap out the 10,000K for something around 6-7000K that's more appropriate for plants.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Swap out for a geisemann day bulb and an aquaflora. 10K and actinic will give a 14K look which is pretty blue.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Shell4454
Algae Grower

Thanks!
What about thoughts on using a power glo? I've heard both sides of the fence as to whether or not these are good for plants. I know it has a much higher K rating but it peaks in the blue and red which are good for plants?... I love the way these bulbs make my other tanks look.
Shell4454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

On my tank I run 4 bulbs 2- 6500k 1-1000k and 1 pink. I find the best looking combo to be 1 pink and 1 6500k. That is personal opinion though. It does have a warmish tint so it might look rather drastic going from the 10000 and actinic, but you will adapt. The 4 bulb set up I have going gives me what I consider to look the most like daylight, It would be hard to recreate with just two. That being said I would for sure switch out the actinic with either a 6500k or a Pink bulb. The actinic isn't doing anything for your plants, I had one and was told it just helps algae.
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

I might add - Mine are just 4 3' 39w bulbs, so don't worry about adding two more, you have plenty of light with the two longer bulbs. I saw pretty good growth with just two of my bulbs on, but wanted a thicker carpet.
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
55 gallon, lighting, t5 ho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.