Shallow Reef Tank? Shallow Shrimp Tank! 24"x24"x12" Rimless Planted Shrimp Setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Dave6265
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shallow Reef Tank? Shallow Shrimp Tank! 24"x24"x12" Rimless Planted Shrimp Setup

Since I regret not doing this for my 36g bowfront rainbow community tank, I thought I would start up a journal for this tank.

After trading with a local lfs, my 9 gallon shrimp tank has become absolutely overrun with scuds. I trap with a cucumber end multiple times a week and hardly make a dent in the population. Lesson learned, I will not step foot in that store again. The scuds have decimated all moss and glosso in the tank, and so I figure this is the perfect excuse to set up a new tank.

I've always liked the rimless look, and wanted something with a large footprint and low depth to suit shrimp. No need for an 18" high tank afterall, right?

Enter the Deep Blue 24" x 24" x 12" shallow "frag tank" cube. I've seen this tank used in many salt water applications, but don't think I've seen in fw before, so I figured I would give it a try.

(credit to Amazon for the stock picture, of course mine will not have the overflow)

Tank and stand are on order, and I should be picking up Tues/Weds. Here is the rest of my planned breakdown:

Tank: Deep Blue 24"x24"x12" Shallow Reef Tank - roughly 30 gallons
Stand: Marineland Ventura Black
Filtration: Eheim 2213
Lighting: (2) Current USA Satellite + LED fixtures
Substrate: (2) 9l bags of ADA Amazonia - I don't think all will be used, but did not want to come up short either.
Heater: I am going to monitor tank temps while cycling. I don't honestly think one is needed, as my apartment is kept ~70-76 degrees year round
Water: Distilled water from supermarket and Salty Shrimp GH+ Remineralizer
Ferts: Flourish Excel and Comprehensive Liquids as well as Flourish Root tabs if I see the need

I am still planning fauna and flora, but here is my plan so far:

Fauna:
-RCS
-Either CRS or Super Tiger Shrimp, depending on the quality of what I have access to when the tank is ready
-A few Nerite Snails
-Maybe some kind of small schooling fish once the shrimp populations and foliage are up

Flora:
-Green Tiger Lotus
-Assorted Crypts
????? Need ideas for right, front right, and in the Y space of the driftwood - any recommendations?

That's all for now! I will try to update this with pictures as things come in and are set up. I figure it will be at least a month and a half before shrimp go in, depending on how long the Amazonia leaches ammonia. I'll snap a picture of my 36g bowfront and post up to hold over until then.

Critique of equipment and everything else more than welcomed! Thanks guys!

Last edited by Dave6265; 10-15-2013 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Updates
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've seen this tank in Absolutely Fish in Clifton and love it - should be a stunner!
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

If think you'll really enjoy it. I've got several small (and some quite large) Deep Blue Professional tanks and love them all. Probably some of my favorites. Larger tanks like this frag tank are terrific.

If it were me, I'd go with a larger Eheim for filtration. But I'm of the opinion that more filtration when keeping sensitive shrimp like Crystals is a good thing.

A heater won't be necessary, as the shrimp species you've listed do best in water that's about 68-72 Fahrenheit.

Fugerays should work quite well for your setup, Though, if you don't already have the two fixtures purchased, you could also consider Current Satellite Plus fixtures. They're black, thin and have a sleeker profile on a tank like that. Also provide flexibility in terms of coloration, so nothing will look washed out.

Are you considering any sort of hardscape?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Oooooh, nice looking tank! Are you going with a drilled tank or will it be unmodified?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Dave6265
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
I've seen this tank in Absolutely Fish in Clifton and love it - should be a stunner!
Thanks! Fingers crossed, the tank should come out pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If think you'll really enjoy it. I've got several small (and some quite large) Deep Blue Professional tanks and love them all. Probably some of my favorites. Larger tanks like this frag tank are terrific.

If it were me, I'd go with a larger Eheim for filtration. But I'm of the opinion that more filtration when keeping sensitive shrimp like Crystals is a good thing.

A heater won't be necessary, as the shrimp species you've listed do best in water that's about 68-72 Fahrenheit.

Fugerays should work quite well for your setup, Though, if you don't already have the two fixtures purchased, you could also consider Current Satellite Plus fixtures. They're black, thin and have a sleeker profile on a tank like that. Also provide flexibility in terms of coloration, so nothing will look washed out.

Are you considering any sort of hardscape?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Thanks for the input! This is my first rimless tank, so I am a little wary of not having the top and bottom braces. I saw good reviews for Deep Blue, and thought I would give it a try.

The 2213 is already spec-ed out for tanks up to 66 gallons, and the one on my 36g bowfront keeps up with a heavy bioload just fine. The tank is rated for 30 gallons, and will probably be less with substrate and hardscape in there, so I think filtration is sufficient.

Thanks for reassuring my thoughts on the heater. I have one in my community tank, and it rarely goes on.

The fixtures you suggested are very interesting. So far, the only things definite and on order are the tank, stand, substrate, and filter. I will have to give that light fixture a further look. There does not seem to be much information/reviews out on them yet, but I like what I see so far! I'd imagine that I will still have to go with 2 units?

As far as hardscape goes, I have a "Y" shaped piece of driftwood that I think will work nicely with this large foot print. I'll be taking pictures once tank and substrate are in to figure out the best placement.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Dave6265
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Oooooh, nice looking tank! Are you going with a drilled tank or will it be unmodified?
The tank will be coming without the overflow box. That was a quick stock picture that I could find.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Love these dimensions, can not wait to see what you do with it!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Even if your tank gets into the mid-60s on a regular basis, you won't need a heater for shrimp. So that's more money you can put into other goodies.

While I think the filter would be fine, most hardcore shrimp keepers do aim for more. So you can better adjust flow, use spraybars when necessary, have additional capacity for media - which is a big thing for sensitive shrimp like Crystals and Taiwan Bees. I wouldn't use a 2213 on anything larger than 10-12 gallons and would go with 2217 for your tank. That's just my preference, however. Just something to consider. Plus you could always add additional filtration in the future if the 2213 doesn't cut it or for redundancy.

If you check the Lighting section, there are several review threads for Current fixtures. Lots of people like myself use both Finnex and Current and have chimed in. Be sure to check them out. I'd definitely go with two units. Aside from the colors being better, on a shallow tank like that, you'll be able to dim the fixture with a remote control if you so desire. So no need to raise or lower your fixture to balance lighting levels. If I had it to do over, I'd replace nearly all of my low-medium light fixtures with Current units.

If you decide you really want to go 'budget' with things, you could pick up two cheap 24" Beamswork LED fixtures from eBay. They're pretty sleek and would give you low light. I have the single bright 18" versions over tanks that are 7-8 inches deep and find them to be almost too strong. 24 inch units over a 12 inch tank would be perfect.

By the way - did you pick up the version of this tank that does not have an overflow and a hole drilled or did you pick up the overflow version and decide to plug the hole? The version that's not reef-ready is usually quite a bit cheaper.

P.S. The silicone work on these tanks is usually superb. Since it has a bottom frame (just no top rim), it's quite sturdy. I find that I enjoy black silicone much more than clear/white on tanks like this. When coupled with a black background, the seams tend to disappear and you're not distracted.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 08-04-2013 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really love the square tank trend.

I am looking forward to seeing the quality of the tank and stand. There are some journals up right now with the gla equivalent.
pandacory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lots of growing area for your lighting dollar
pandacory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since this is a hoodless/topless tank, I wouldn't consider nerite snails in there, they may escape and go wandering outside the tank
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
Mike00726
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sweet tank, and a nice area to hide some equipment
Mike00726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Dave6265
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Love these dimensions, can not wait to see what you do with it!
Thanks! I can't wait to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Even if your tank gets into the mid-60s on a regular basis, you won't need a heater for shrimp. So that's more money you can put into other goodies.

While I think the filter would be fine, most hardcore shrimp keepers do aim for more. So you can better adjust flow, use spraybars when necessary, have additional capacity for media - which is a big thing for sensitive shrimp like Crystals and Taiwan Bees. I wouldn't use a 2213 on anything larger than 10-12 gallons and would go with 2217 for your tank. That's just my preference, however. Just something to consider. Plus you could always add additional filtration in the future if the 2213 doesn't cut it or for redundancy.

If you check the Lighting section, there are several review threads for Current fixtures. Lots of people like myself use both Finnex and Current and have chimed in. Be sure to check them out. I'd definitely go with two units. Aside from the colors being better, on a shallow tank like that, you'll be able to dim the fixture with a remote control if you so desire. So no need to raise or lower your fixture to balance lighting levels. If I had it to do over, I'd replace nearly all of my low-medium light fixtures with Current units.

If you decide you really want to go 'budget' with things, you could pick up two cheap 24" Beamswork LED fixtures from eBay. They're pretty sleek and would give you low light. I have the single bright 18" versions over tanks that are 7-8 inches deep and find them to be almost too strong. 24 inch units over a 12 inch tank would be perfect.

By the way - did you pick up the version of this tank that does not have an overflow and a hole drilled or did you pick up the overflow version and decide to plug the hole? The version that's not reef-ready is usually quite a bit cheaper.

P.S. The silicone work on these tanks is usually superb. Since it has a bottom frame (just no top rim), it's quite sturdy. I find that I enjoy black silicone much more than clear/white on tanks like this. When coupled with a black background, the seams tend to disappear and you're not distracted.
Once again, thank you for all the input! I am going to go with a lily pipe for an outlet, not the spray bar. I am going to see how the paramaters stay with the 2213, and if I feel I need more then I would plan on throwing an aquaclear on the back for more surface agitation and to slap a big sponge prefilter on for the shrimps.

I am 99% sure I am going to go with two of the 24" satellite LED+ units. The one thing that was holding me back was an integrated 24 hour timer, but I've read it will be coming this fall and it will be a unit that is backwards compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
Really love the square tank trend.

I am looking forward to seeing the quality of the tank and stand. There are some journals up right now with the gla equivalent.
Thanks! I was researching this tank as a reef setup, but decided to stay with FW and the scud infestation in my shrimp nano made it a pretty easy call. I will have to look for those other journals that you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
Lots of growing area for your lighting dollar
Most definitely! The downside is the low height. I think I am going to have a challenge generating a fore, mid, and background with various heighted plants due to only having 12" to work with. We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
Since this is a hoodless/topless tank, I wouldn't consider nerite snails in there, they may escape and go wandering outside the tank
The nerites would be used later on to keep the glass clean. I have a nerite in my open top evolve nano and have never had issues. Would there be any other good glass cleaners that will not infest the tank that you could recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00726 View Post
Sweet tank, and a nice area to hide some equipment
Yes, I should be able to put quite a bit underneath the tank in the cabinet.

Update: So, the tank was backordered and will be a little bit of a wait. The aquasoil showed up, the filter is incoming, and I will be ordering the lights soon. I am still thinking about the scape and where to place the plants, and am in no hurry. I want things done right the first time. I should have the stand this Tuesday, and hopefully the tank shortly thereafter.

Thanks!
-Dave
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If you want to save a mountain of cash? You can check out the DIY section and build an Arduino controller.

I did. Cost me a total of $35 and maybe 20 minutes of figuring things out. No coding or programming involved, really. Just copy & paste and you're all set.

You won't regret getting the Current fixtures. They're the best cheap LEDs I've ever used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6265 View Post
I am 99% sure I am going to go with two of the 24" satellite LED+ units. The one thing that was holding me back was an integrated 24 hour timer, but I've read it will be coming this fall and it will be a unit that is backwards compatible.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
Dave6265
Algae Grower

A bit of an update, although not much of an exciting one...

Filter: Here
Substrate: Here
Driftwood: Here
Lights: (2) Satellite LED+ fixtures on order:
Stand: Should have it tomorrow (hurray!)
Tank: I went to pick it up today, and it had a huge gash along the base. The shop instantly said they would get another one on order for me.

Still to order:
Re Mineralizer
Lily Pipe for Output
SS filter for input

I'm starting to get very anxious to get this going. My red tiger lotus in my 36g bowfront is ready to be split, and I bought blyxa japonica about a month ago planning for this tank.