What is the best aquarium heater by far and why? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-08-2004, 06:03 AM   #31
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Why not have a spare glass heater on the side just incase that happens, then just replace latter on with a titanium..
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #32
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Not really, the idea was that was with two heaters neither one would bear the full load. And that's the case if you use a temperature controller. But if you just rely on the thermostats you have problems.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #33
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

man, as i research more and more.... I hear more and more complaints about the new ebo jagers, how they are not as good as they used to be..........is there anyone out there who bought the new ebo jagers and are satisfied with their product???
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #34
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How NEW is new to you or the other whinners? Can you give me some links to where these cries for help are? What are the complaints?
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #35
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

Okay I can't remember exactly where, because I did a lot of surfing but I can recall the jist of what they said

"The ebo jagers are sitting on their reputation and not making their product any better or improving it"

"ebo jager has recently changed manufacturers or company policies and the product is not as reliable as before"

"The new ebo jager has caused allowed the temperature to lower at night by 2 degrees causing my cardinal tetras to get ich"

by the way, I'm not whining, as I don't know what it's really like, but these and other remarks have made me a lil weary about the new ebo's
Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #36
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dude!

I was not saying you were one of the whiners. I was just pointing out the fact that everyone can be biased by what they own...

Anyway…

I did some research before landing on Ebo land. All I read was good. So now I have two Ebos (250W). They are very new. In fact, I just put one in my 55 about two weeks ago. The temp hovers right on the dot.

I am not gonna lie to you, but it may drop one or two degrees at night *especially.* Now, don't jump to say they suck. There are too many variables to put into the equation as to why it drops. My 55 is made of glass like almost everyone else's tank. Glass is a poor insulator.

I can tell you from experience that in the summer I drop the settings on all my tanks after increasing the temp every winter. At night, the lights are off. No lights, no extra heat. I am the anal type, but when it comes to one or two degrees…Let it rip! Is my motto. I would not be too concerned if I were breeding something that requires close supervision like fertilizing an ovum via IVF.

Give them a try. If you do not like it, send it back.
EPC Member #27
Old 01-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #37
infin
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Being electronic heaters, I am surprised that a thermostat can get "stuck". I would expect that with the cheaper bi-metal ones, but not with an electronically controlled heater... I could be wrong though.
yea suprised me also, i guess the thermostat is inside where the unit plugs in on the titanium heaters. The Won bros. one has a led light that tells you when the heater was on, i noticed that it was on for a long time and never shut off on me, i tapped the unit and the light went off. Went to look at the water temperature and it was over 90F. Luckily i only lost 2 of my rainbow fish.
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #38
ljezuit
Algae Grower

I have owned a 150Watt Ebo for about 2 years now. No problems at all, and every time I check the temp it is at a rock steady 78.

Red Rubin Sword, Java Fern, Hygro, Val, Crypt Wen., E. tenn
ljezuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #39
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If a 2° causes ich in Cardinals then they have many other problems and should try doing some water changes. A 2° drop in temp is nothing. My tank does it on a regular basis when the lights go out. I have two Ebo heaters and they are spot on as far as temp. Of course a couple of those tanks get warmer than the heater setting due to the lights. But that's not the heaters fault. No matter where I set the heater the water is going to gain energy from the lights.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:54 AM   #40
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

Hi all, I just placed my order for a 150W Ebo Jager Heater. Just wanted to let you all know, Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:06 AM   #41
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congratulations! You will love it. Last night, I bought a RENA CAL 100w heater. As I am trying to install the bracket with the suction cup, it breaks! What a POS! I am not that excited about this brand. The control knob is just not as "tight" as the Ebos. I'll keep it, but I'll get more Ebos as back ups.

My apologies to the Ebo clan for deviating from the norm, but I needed to get a heater last night.
EPC Member #27
Old 01-10-2004, 05:16 AM   #42
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

say, Robert, do you use 2 heaters for each tank ?? you know, one for backup
Old 01-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #43
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No. I only use one heater per tank. Many would disagree, but I know my fish would tolerate the temp drop down to 60 degrees (due to a power outage). I do not know about my plants...

I keep backup heaters on the shelf and not in the tank.
EPC Member #27
Old 01-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #44
Amazon Robert
Algae Grower

Foolishly I strayed from Ebos and bought two Visi-Therms for my biotope 120 with wild brown discus, etc. Found the temp at 80 and the discus dark and shivering. One of the 6 month old Visi-Therms was full of water...but the light was still on... Ordering Ebos tonight...if I get an answer to my questions on Flourite and EcoComplete. I've used Ebos for many years but thought I'd save a buck. Goes to show you....

An equipment thread in the Simply Discus forum pretty much had a consensus from the numerous contributors that Via Aqua were junk but Won Bros got pretty good reviews. Maybe in a year or so, the titaniums will have the bugs worked out.

Bob
Amazon Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:42 PM   #45
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

if you can get both flourite and eco-complete at close prices...choose eco-complete

i would do anything to get eco-complete at a decent price. are you ordering it online??? if so, where