technically-not-Markos Mustard Gas Bettas V2.1: spawn 10/30/13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

technically-not-Markos Mustard Gas Bettas V2.1: spawn 10/30/13

im on my way to do another spawn soon. this one will feature Apollo, the star male of the last spawn, with the marble female that was an original candidate.
here he is in the spawning tank (he nibbled his fins a little):

Last edited by @marko@; 10-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: title
@marko@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

marko, you need to breed a dalmatian! =D
Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i love that betta. i wish you luck on this spawn. cant wait to see what comes out of it. i want to see pics of the female you plan to use.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can't wait to see what you get this time around! The one I got from the last spawn is doing Great!

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
marko, you need to breed a dalmatian! =D
maybe when im done with mustard gases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i love that betta. i wish you luck on this spawn. cant wait to see what comes out of it. i want to see pics of the female you plan to use.
thank you. the easiest time to get pics is during the embraces. and no sense taking them of fish who you arent sure will spawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Can't wait to see what you get this time around! The one I got from the last spawn is doing Great!
glad to hear it.

released the female this morning. she is so heavily dragonscaled i cant see any vertical stripes, nor horizontal stripes. just a solid shiny coat of blue.
so ill give her til tomorrow afternoon, and then take her out and recondition for a week if nothing happens.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
hillmom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I now have a betta tank, excited for the new babies. My tank needs an inhabitant!

Sent from my Droid Razr M using Tapatalk 4
hillmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

sorry to say this spawn is off. and it will be a while before i retry.
during the night the female mauled the male pretty bad. i pulled her out this morning, and the spawning tank will serve as a recovery tank for the male for the next two weeks or more, til i feel comfortable that he can deal with a move to his old barracks chamber. he is in no shape to spawn. the poor guy can hardly move, and i barely convinced him to eat a single betta pellet after bumping it against his nose a few times.
it will be a while until i try again, and it will definitely be with a different female - one of his sisters most likely.

here is a shot of my poor poor apollo:

fortunately the tanks is nice and warm, full of tanins, has very low flow - the perfect hospital. i also added minocycline as a prophylactic, something i normally dont do with antibiotics. but this is a mild one, and i want to be sure he doesnt develop an infection that could push him over the edge.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Sorry to hear and see that it didnt pan out. He looks more emotionally defeated tan anything. Looks like a good recovery tank for him and hope he pulls through.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
hillmom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh no! Poor guy looks like he had the crap beat out of him. Hope he recovers quickly :-(

Sent from my Droid Razr M using Tapatalk 4
hillmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Oh no! Poor boy, hope he recovers well
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

he is acting normal today. and eating without issues. so it looks like he will be just fine, though i doubt his fins will ever look as good.
i dont want to try breeding him til his fins grow out more though. i need him to have enough fin length that when the female does nip (and they all do some damage), they dont cut into his body, which would prevent regrowth of the fin in that area.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wow, and I thought the males could get aggressive! I could only assume it's because the females, having less finnage, could move around faster

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Wow, and I thought the males could get aggressive! I could only assume it's because the females, having less finnage, could move around faster
bingo.
crowntail spawnings tend to be particularly rough, largely because the fish are both much less impeded by finnage.

but generally the males are only beaten more than the female at night. thats why some breeders suggest putting the divider or tube over the female at lights out. i never bothered figuring, thats now how it works in nature, but i may rethink that position... the males are stronger and more aggressive. but the females are more agile and combine that with stealth in darkness and you have a ninja assassin

fortunately the males looks like he is recovered fully in terms of vital functions. he acts normal. though he cant swim well since for the first time in his life he has less-than-optimal finnage (he is used to having the reverse problem), but the fins should be growing back in.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

the female i have i have to keep her by her self. she is so pretty i thought about trying to breed but when i got her she was small about an inch and a half long. she went right after my adult angels. so i knew it would not end well with breeding. is it common for females to be this aggressive? i will try to get a pic since she is so pretty. but think i need to find another female to try with
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

well its highly variable. but they do not normally do this much damage to the male during breeding. ive never seen anything this bad yet.
during my black orchid spawn, the girl was kept alone, so she was more aggressive than usual. when i released her, the male didnt attack her, he just danced under his nest. then she charged up to him, after a few seconds of flaring and him not backing away, she ripped a ray out of his tail right at the base. he then got very anger and spent a few min chasing and biting her. but nothing serious occurred, and the two spawned the next day.