Mr.Aqua 12Gal How to set up properly?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mr.Aqua 12Gal How to set up properly?

Hello There!
I have just ordered a Low-Iron 12 Gal, upgrading from my Fluval Edge 6 gal. I always wanted a tank this long but not too big and it exists, WOO!

Now, I would say this will be my first, 'real' aquarium. As the setup I will have to decide instead of everything coming with the Fluval Edge.

The Fluval Edge was planted and had cherry red shrimp but did not fair well, neither did the shrimp with the inadequate lighting and whatnot. So, this time I want to make sure things are right, so I have questions. I've looked at every listed 12G post but there are a lot of 'Why this?' questions.

"You know nothing Jon Snow..."

I plan on this tank being a 'to scale' aquascape, with a tree made of some sort of wood and 'HC' as its leaves, as well as using 'HC' as a bottom covering plant. As for other plants, haven't gotten that far yet.

Tree Example:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

I would also like to use 'Seiryu Stones' for the mountain outcrops. I do not have a layout made out yet.

Onto the technical stuff...

Filtration:
Over and over I see people using the 'Eheim Classic External Canister Filter 2213'. Why does everyone choose this filter? And what are some alternatives? I have never used an external canister filter before, however I see the pipes that go into the tank are green. I would like to replace these with clear glass. Alternatively, on this subject, I've often seen people using 'Lily pipes'. What are the benefits to these/why are they used? I do NOT want to drill any holes into this tank.

Spraybars for flow or....?

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Substrate:
A long while ago I bought Amazonia substrate from the states and it was hell in customs getting it into Canada. I'm looking for a similar (as dark as possible) substrate that I can get in Canada or to Canada relatively cheap. Suggestions?

Lighting:
I really REALLY like the look of the 'Current Satellite Freshwater LED+' bar. Will this be adequate enough to grow 'HC'? The tank is also located right in front of a window.

Other:

• If I have a wood branch sticking out of the water, will the shrimp climb it and uh...you know, forget to come down or something and die?
  • Can I put a beta fish with red cherries?
  • I want to get some Indonesian Fire Reds (cherries). Does anyone sell/ship to Canada on here? What is the general price range for them? $__$
  • Where can I find some nice aquascape wood online that resemble tree trunks?

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer any of my tedious questions. While I do look on forums and use good ol'Google, I find it hard to get answers that directly relate to my questions sometimes. And I'd like to get advice from all the experts here on their first hand accounts :3
Rookiiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Betas will eat dwarf shrimp. Now, 8 people will post behind me and say their's doesn't, but yes, they are predators, and they will.

Shrimp will not leave the water unless they jump, not common with red cherries, though.

Lighting, yes, the LED+ will grow HC with good co2.

The 2213 is an interesting call, I went with the 2215 because well, it's what I already had.

Definitely buy a "jet" lilly pipe over the spray bar, the jet circulates PERFECTLY in my 12g long.

Get that tank moved, it'll be an algae farm in front of a window.

For wood, ask Mr Tom Barr for some, he has BEAUTIFUL pieces.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

A couple questions to you:

Are you planning high tech? I only assumed this with your lighting choice and plant choice.

What co2 setup do you have already laid out?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
DayOlder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

For lighting I like Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED $80 on Amazon
For substrate I like CaribSea Eco-Complete, its black & $23 on Amazon & your plants will love it
Fire reds are cheapest on ebay but shipping is expensive

I would move the tank at all possible away from the window, especially if it gets any direct sunlight. As little as a couple of hours of direct sun can lead to problems.

Aquascape wood is on both Ebay and Amazon. I have tried the Malaysian and it looks beautiful but be prepared for your water color to yellow with the tannins. I have just ordered some Manzanita but have not received it yet. Malaysian will not stand up to Amano attacks but Manzanita is a harder wood and will last longer. With Cherry Reds though they are not as hard on the Malaysian.

Best of luck.
DayOlder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
For lighting I like Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED $80 on Amazon
For substrate I like CaribSea Eco-Complete, its black & $23 on Amazon & your plants will love it
Fire reds are cheapest on ebay but shipping is expensive

I would move the tank at all possible away from the window, especially if it gets any direct sunlight. As little as a couple of hours of direct sun can lead to problems.

Aquascape wood is on both Ebay and Amazon. I have tried the Malaysian and it looks beautiful but be prepared for your water color to yellow with the tannins. I have just ordered some Manzanita but have not received it yet. Malaysian will not stand up to Amano attacks but Manzanita is a harder wood and will last longer. With Cherry Reds though they are not as hard on the Malaysian.

Best of luck.
Do you realize what PAR would be at the substrate with that light you recommend?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Betta and shrimp:no, as stated above, they are predictors, they will hunt them. You won't see much of your shrimp (perma-hiding) or simply won't have any left (all eaten).

As for filter I set up a mr.aqua 12g long on my husbands desk, it has a eheim 2211 classic canister filter. Because the tank has live-in-tank black worms for the dwarf puffers to hunt when they want, there is a pre filter sponge cover over the intake. This reduces the flow a little but not much. This is an long tank (3' long), and dirty eaters (dwarf puffers are tiny but messy fish), and even with long vals trailing on the surface I use the spray bar and it shows visible water rippling over 2/3 of the tank's length, but flows through whole tank for good circulation. So you could consider getting the slightly smaller eheim canister.
I've wanted to get lily pipes but have not yet, I've liked the visible but not overly powerful flow the spray bar makes.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
A couple questions to you:

Are you planning high tech? I only assumed this with your lighting choice and plant choice.

What co2 setup do you have already laid out?
Well, the LED bar sits roughly only 11" from the bottom of the tank but I am planning a medium-light planted. I just want to grow HC because I love the look of it and if possible I have fFlourish Excel from my previous tank that I would dose the water with if the shrimp aren't sensitive to it that is.

I have absolutely nothing set up yet. I don't even have the tank. I ordered it two days ago so I'm planning everything now.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiiwoo View Post
Well, the LED bar sits roughly only 11" from the bottom of the tank but I am planning a medium-light planted. I just want to grow HC because I love the look of it and if possible I have fFlourish Excel from my previous tank that I would dose the water with if the shrimp aren't sensitive to it that is.

I have absolutely nothing set up yet. I don't even have the tank. I ordered it two days ago so I'm planning everything now.
At that PAR, you will require a good co2 source. I don't like putting gnarly chemicals in my tank like excel, so ignore my opinion on it. The light you've chosen will give you 65 par at the substrate on full blast.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=163266
Old 07-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

Yeah my problem is I do not want to use Co2 at all. I want a low-medium tech set up but since I also want HC I figure putting in a little Excel Flourish will be alright. IS there a better light that will accomplish my needs? I'm really not all informed on the logistics of PAR and whatnot :/
Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774

Read up.

Basicly, you could get away with it, but you'll be dosing excel, and anything living other than a plant excel is pretty much poison. People have grown HC in low tech, but your main issue will be a lack of carbon or co2.

Glad you're learning this now, and not 1 month into cycling the tank.

Your best bet will be to dry start your HC, and figure out a carbon source from there.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

Yeah I was going to dry-start it as lots of people showed it carpeted much better. Plus I assume it'll take a while for it to do so before adding water and whatnot anyway.

Also, I'm looking to get Activ-Flora Premium Planted Substrate, it comes in 16lb bag(in black). But since this stuff is a finer grad than what most people use, 'Aquasoil/Eco Comp' I'm not sure how many bags I'll need. My guess would be maybe two?

Here is a link: http://www.thatpetplace.com/activ-fl...nted-substrate
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didn't catch your name, but to be honest, I've learned with this fish stuff is don't blaze your own trail.

ADA aquasoil is tried and true, and I tell you, if the top guys are all using it, (No, not JUST Amano himself, but Tom barr, Oliver Knott etc) there's a reason. Soil is not AS important in aquaria as it is for terrestrial plants. Aquasoil gives a great balance of nutrients and PH buffer.

I will tell you, once I used aquasoil, I wouldn't use anything BUT in a planted tank.

I don't like that they don't tell you what percentages or PPM of the ingredients in Activ-flora.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can get aquasoil in Canada as well as lily pipes, seiryu/ryouh stones etc.

I would def recommend looking into some sort of co2, even diy,if you want to have a nice HC carpet. Excel and shrimps don't mix well IME (personal opinion take with a grain of salt)
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #14
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

I'm still kind of confused why lily pipes are better than spray bars or rather what lily pipes do? Are they just like intake and outtake?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 AM   #15
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiiwoo View Post
I'm still kind of confused why lily pipes are better than spray bars or rather what lily pipes do? Are they just like intake and outtake?
Even flow. A place for the water to circulate, not just dump out.

The jet pipe is a great pipe for this tank.