spec v or edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
zarich
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

spec v or edge

Can get a deal on these and would like another small tank for my office. Any opinions on which might be better based on experience?
zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

The Fluval Edge looks super sleek but I've heard a ton of complaints on the ease of cleaning since there's only a small area to stick your hands in.

The Fluval Spec, which I have, and have now turned into a reef has been awesome! It gives you the height and length to display plants, and animals
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Fishmasterj
Algae Grower

Yes, I agree. The Edge is hard to clean and aqua scape because of the small opening. I really love my Fluval Spec V.
Fishmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
Varmint
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you decide to get the Edge, I would suggest the 12 gallon not the 6 gallon. I have a 12 gallon Edge, a Spec V and a Spec III. The edge is by far my favorite and the most Stable of the three tanks. Since the 12 gallon has the same footprint as the 6 gallon but much more height, it is easier to clean and you can grow tall plants.
Varmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Goosekeeper

I'm new to the hobby and the impulse purchase of an Edge is what got me here. I've had a number of compliments on the Edge from house-guests, but it is a royal pain to maintain and has a number of drawbacks.

After just a few months, I'm looking at ways to upgrade the filter, improve the lighting, and remove the top at which point I should have purchased a rimless tank and saved myself the work and money.
Goosekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosekeeper View Post
I'm new to the hobby and the impulse purchase of an Edge is what got me here. I've had a number of compliments on the Edge from house-guests, but it is a royal pain to maintain and has a number of drawbacks.

After just a few months, I'm looking at ways to upgrade the filter, improve the lighting, and remove the top at which point I should have purchased a rimless tank and saved myself the work and money.
I was new to the hobby in 2012, and did an impulse purchase on an Edge as well (the 12 gallon). I also had tons of compliments from everybody that saw it, but got rid of it within about 4 months of trying to grow plants. My biggest issues were almost all related to the tiny opening:
  • EVERYTHING you do in the tank can only be done with one hand.
  • The tiny opening limits scaping material options.
  • The opening makes it a real PITA to clean or trim plants
  • You have to drain about 1/2 gallon of water every time you want to put your hand in the tank or it'll overflow
  • Weak light, and limited lighting options
All that said, it's a very cool looking tank. Having a glass top with water against it creates very cool and unique views. It's just a big trade off.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
zarich
Algae Grower

Well.. I was able to pick up a spec v for $40, but it was on clearance. I pulled it out of the box and there is a small scratch near one of the end posts. I am trying to decide if I should live with it or not. It was the last one they had.
zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
Fishmasterj
Algae Grower

Live with it. Oh, how I wish I could get another one... The cheapest I can get one is $68. I love my spec v
Fishmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Radiation91
Algae Grower

Oh crickey get the spec! By way of example, imagine you had the edge and need to cut off a dead leaf...

1) remove the hood and lift the light up
2) remove some water from the tank
3) the hob filter will empty into the tank by siphon so you need to take even more water out
4) if you've got the tank set up with the hole quite high then you need a degree in gymnastics to get your arm in!
5) cut the leaf... Making sure that your arm doesn't displace too much water and cause an overflow! (I learned this the hard way)
6) in the 12 gallon reaching to the bottom is awkward, even with 12 inch tweezers. You don't want to knock over any hardscape or uproot any plants but you only have 1 place to put your arm... Through that hole! You can't just go around the other side of something and work on it... Your arm is stuck where it is.
7) remove the leaf
8) fill the hob filter and tank with water.
9) drop the light and replace the hood.

ALL FOR A LEAF!

for the record... This happened to me this afternoon. What a waste of 10 minutes with the spec it's literally a case of snipping the leaf with long scissors and then using tweezers to get it out. 1 or 2 mins tops...

If it's going to be at work then keep it simple and get the spec

Things about the edge which may be worth noting:
  • If water is filled to the top then bubbles get trapped in the top and it looks awful.
  • You need to be able to do everything with one hand. Seriously... You'll get sick of saying "if only... " all because of that tiny hole!
  • hardscape choices are very limited
  • cleaning it is a pain
  • using any air stones etc will create bubbles, which pop and wet the lights. So you can only use air stones when the hood is off and the light is upright.
  • setting up all the wires for the heater, filter, lights etc is a pain if this tank is in a corner.
  • theres very little space to get any tubes and cables in at the top of the column where the hob filter sits.

I read the reviews and thought "they're probably just exaggerating for effect". I was wrong! Everything that I read has come true and really does cause a lot of grief.

If you have patience though it will be worth it.... They look really nice

All the best!
Rad91
Radiation91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe you can buff some or all of the scratch out before you fill it? $40 seems like a great deal!

Not much I can say here that hasn't already been said. Like some of the others, the 12G Edge was the tank I bought that got me back into the hobby. It has since morphed into 12 tanks! I try to keep my Edge as low-maintenance as possible because it is very hard to work inside of. I bought one of those collapsable tools that has a pruning head and a tweezing head, and that helps a little. But right now, I badly need to prune my DHG in the front of the tank, and the thought of trimming and then removing the cut pieces is giving me nightmares!