Water Changes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
orangepunkins
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Water Changes

I learned a lesson the hard way of NOT doing correct water changes. I have a 75 heavily planted tank. I would take a 5 gal bucket and vacuum the bottom and that was all I would take out of the tank. 5 gal about 1x a week. So what did I gain out of NOT doing this correctly. The dreaded BLACK BEARD ALGAE! I now know that I WILL take 25% of water each and every week. My husband has now taken a permanent marker and marked the side of the tank to let me know THIS is how much I need to take out a week. As for the black beard algae it was only on 1 plant very heavily. So I took the plant out and did a peroxide dip, trimmed off the dead leaves, added 2 more mystery snails, and 1 more sucky fish. And I will say the plant is 75-80 % free of the Black Beard algae. LESSON LEARNED!!!!!
orangepunkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Do you have a Python water changer? That helps.

"Sucky fish"? You may want to find out exactly what kind it is.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

50% is better. +1 on the python, I love mine, the only time I lug a bucket is on filter cleaning day.
FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.