Anyone in Upstate NY Capital District Area?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Jimbo205
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone in Upstate NY Capital District Area?

Looking online for fellow hobbyists that are into Planted Tanks in Upstate New York in or around the Capital District
(Albany, Troy, Schenectady and area nearby (30-50 miles) ).

It would be a lot of fun to share ideas with fellow hobbyists with the eventual (long term goal) of maybe getting together as a group 6-12 months down the road.

For now, meeting online and finding the best resources in the area would be the immediate goal.

Let me know if you are out there.

Please don't be shy.

(That can really suck at times.)
Jimbo205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
cliner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Jimbo205,

I live in New Paltz (65 miles south of Albany) and am always looking for planted tank people. My brother Bob lives in Johnstown and he is always checking out shops around your neck of the woods. We both grew up in Gloversville. Seems like stores with a good plant selection are hard to come by. I think Something Fishy stopped carrying plants, and the guys on Union street didn't have that much for plants last time I was there. I have a few good shops aroung here with only one carrying any plants worth buying.

Between us we have close to twenty tanks. I'm into South American biotopes (Apistos, Angels, Tetras, cories) and am currently breeding apisto caucs and red cherry shrimp. I'm also trying to sex four "black peru" cories. Witnessed my Angels and lemon tetras spawn the same day last week. My brother is into S.A. and Asian Biotopes. All our tanks are planted.

I recently joined an aquarium society in Carmel, NY(50 miles south east of New Paltz) and have really enjoyed it( see post below yours "Attention...).

My weekends are kind of tight as I watch our son until 3o Sat and Sun, but maybe some weekend we could all hook up and hit some shops together. I'm surprised there is not an Aquarium club in the capitol district?

Also as a side note I found this New York post to be very, very quiet.

Talk to you later,

Cliner
cliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Jimbo205
Algae Grower

Cliner, thank you. That sounds like a great idea.

At this point, I think just finding people nearby the Capital District is great!

I mean, when it comes to shipping plants and fish to and from each other, I assume it would be easier with someone more local to each other!

Do you ever go on APC? Aquatic Plant Central

I have just discovered #1 - local fish stores have the most perfect styrofoam lined boxes 17"x17"x8" that they will give away FOR FREE. It is what they receive ALL OF THEIR SHIPMENTS in, and they just end up tossing them out. They are perfect for storing supplies in and shipping with.

And #2 for smaller shipments, any local vets office has 10"x10"x10" styrofoam boxes that are perfect for shipping roughly less or more than a pound. THEY ARE PERFECT for shipping in our frigid winter weather. I just sent a shipment to Louisianna which was received today (Wednesday) and I shipped it out Monday Priority mail with USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service). Costs $4.10. I put 10 regular stamps on it and one postcard stamp and scheduled it online at USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) . I even got a THANK YOU NOTE from my POSTMAN! I never got that before when I purchased stamps online. He signed it STEVE. Wow.

I really like your idea.

Oh by the way, give Union Aquarium a phone call and ask them about their aquatic plants now. I trimmed one of my tanks (10 Gallon) last week and dropped off one of their styrofoam lined boxes at 2am in the morning with all the trimmings. I would love to see how many of their tanks that filled up. (ha,ha)

Does your brother Bob, come online to plantedtank.net or APC?

Let me know if you both know of others.

I would love to swap some plants or Mollies with you two.

Oh yeah, I would love your feedback on my threads on APC. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
cliner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Jimbo,
yeah the styros are a good score. I have quite a collection gathered from auctions, wholesalers, etc. When I shrimp my red cherries, I make my own styros from all this free insulation styro I picked up and the boxes that I picked up for $.10.

I've been on APC but not in some time. Honestly, since I discover the Swap and Shop forum, I can't seem to justifiy ordering plants from other sources. For example to order 15 red cherry shrimp from azgardens would cost you $74.20 plus about $30 for shipping= $104.20. I sell 12+ cherry shrimp with shipping for $24.00!!!

My brother Rob dosen't really do the forum thing. When I'm coming up your way, I'll pm you.

Eric

P.s.- What kind of plants did you drop off at the Union street shop?
cliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
Jimbo205
Algae Grower

Quote:
yeah the styros are a good score. I have quite a collection gathered from auctions, wholesalers, etc. When I shrimp my red cherries, I make my own styros from all this free insulation styro I picked up and the boxes that I picked up for $.10.
Do you have photos or threads (links)? That would be really cool to see. I have never been to an auction, wholesaler or for that matter shipped shrimp.

I think APC has something similar to Swap and Shop.
Honestly, it takes me FOREVER how things work on these sites.
(How the HECK do you use a 'permalink'? Does anyone know?)

And I know what you mean about the budget. I would rather get a plant from someone I know. My Red Melon is my centerpiece in my 27 Gallon 1/2 Hex tank and I feel good knowing that Rohape's plant that he sent to me looks so good. I also like to ship my stuff. For $4.10 shipping (just using postage stamps and leaving on the front porch) I just can't beat that. And considering how much I have learned from all the members, it just feels natural. (Unintended pun.)

Quote:
What kind of plants did you drop off at the Union street shop?
Rotala Rotundifolia (TONS), Dwarf Sagittaria (TONS) and 3 sprigs (small) of Java Fern.

Let me know ahead of time when you might be up. My schedule sucks and I work 7 days a week, but if I know ahead of time - I will make something work. Thanks.

Have you ever tried that Flapper Map thing? It is pretty cool. Nice way to try to find other members.

I look forward to your posts.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
Jimbo205
Algae Grower

Okay, supposedly there are hobbyists up here somewhere.

Found one club although it has salt in its water.

www.cdmas.org

Any others?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
voshod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi Jimbo205,

I live in Albany. It makes it two of us in Capital District I only have one 10G but trying to grow everything in the world there. Hopefully I'll upgrade to something bigger in a few months.

Anyway, just thougth to leave a message here, for no real reason.

P.S. I will be soon getting rid of a beautiful mellon leaf sword. It's a healthy and large plant, it just doesn't fit in my 10G. If you are interested we can trade it or I can just give it out for the good home.
voshod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
Jimbo205
Algae Grower

Default Melon Leaf Sword

Voshod, I am glad to hear from you!

I like 10 Gallon tanks. I like Nanos a lot. Fits my budget.

I also understand it provides us with a good challenge. Nothing wrong with a good challenge.

If you would like, I have a 10 Gallon tank filled with Java Fern that I wouldn't mind giving some to a good home.

At some point, I plan to add a 1 inch soil underlayer below my substrate.
I would like to focus on growing more of my Hemianthus Micranthemoides and Mermaid Weed.

Much later I may add a nice DIY AHSupply hood to cover the tank completely and grow these plants until they pearl constantly.

Urkevitz also lives in our area and has a tank large enough to handle a nice sized melon Sword.

I have one in the middle of my 27 Gallon Tank (1/2 Hex). Feel free to google Jimbo205 and look up my tank photos.

Wouldn't it be so cool to have a FreshWater Planted Aquarium Club in our area?
I would love to meet people online first and then figure out where is closest to most people.

Heck www.cdmas.org is encouraging - even if they do like ugly rocks (ha,ha).
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
C Jerome

I am up in Saratoga Springs and getting ready to start a planted nano in the coming weeks, I am gathering the gear and soon will need plants! Happy to see a few other people in the area.

Jerome
C Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.