Using Osmocote for Water Column
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Using Osmocote for Water Column

I recently redid the substrate in my 38G and placed some Osmocote balls in the substrate. Due to my overhyper BN plecos, many of the Osmocote balls have resurfaced and are now on the sand. I know that a few of these shouldn't be harmful, if anything beneficial, to the plants. My question is, has anyone used Osmocote as a fertilizer water column? If so, how succesful were you? I thought this would be interesting to put them in a corner area to release slowly
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
Colorful
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/96%)

When I left the osmocote balls on the substrate I ended up with a tank full of diatoms.
Colorful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

How much do you think you had to cause such excess diatoms?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

i have done it and plant grew very well, i did not notice any algae either, but nutrients levels will suddenly start to raise very high when osmocote will start to dissolve at much faster rate. i think its not the best way to dose nutrients in the water, but i think it can be done using it in small amount, you must find a balance while it slowly dissolve in the water, it might dissolve slow at the beginning and then suddenly start dissolving faster and end up adding excess nutrients. it would be pretty much all in one fert if you can successfully do this.

my NH4 reading was off the chart when it started to get dissolve at much faster rate, NO3 was 80+ppm, but i had tons of it all over the place. i thought about trying it again while using small amount and see how it works. but am busy working on something else for now. you can give it a try and first thing you should test for is Ammonia, if it starts to go up then you have added too much. next thing to look for is NO3, this will also go up along with Ammonia.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Not advisable because the pellet contains ammonium nitrates. You would get some sudden spike in your ammonia. It can cause algae though. How many of the pellets ended up on the substrates though? Before I was using dirt, I frequently added maybe 20+ gels in my 40g. I would see maybe 20+ pellets on the substrates for various reasons. If you have a high water flow and very large bio medias, I don't think it would cause any harm.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

Probably around 20 or so in my 38G. A lot of them are "halfway used up" if you understand what I'm trying to say. I haven't added any EI doses though since theres excessive nutrients in the water column right now. I'll keep an eye out but this may not be a bad supplementation assuming I don't put a whole lot of them. The good thing is that the fish seem to ignore it as well so I'm not scared of the fish eating them.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Probably around 20 or so in my 38G. A lot of them are "halfway used up" if you understand what I'm trying to say. I haven't added any EI doses though since theres excessive nutrients in the water column right now. I'll keep an eye out but this may not be a bad supplementation assuming I don't put a whole lot of them. The good thing is that the fish seem to ignore it as well so I'm not scared of the fish eating them.

20 or so isn't a lot. That's probably one or 2 gels there. Also, you may notice that those pellets are actually water inside. They may or may not contain any ferts. No, I won't use them exclusively for EI dosing because you can't monitor your dosage.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
20 or so isn't a lot. That's probably one or 2 gels there. Also, you may notice that those pellets are actually water inside. They may or may not contain any ferts. No, I won't use them exclusively for EI dosing because you can't monitor your dosage.
That's true. I meant currently Im not gonna dose for now as I want all of the Osmocote to be used up.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Not advisable because the pellet contains ammonium nitrates. You would get some sudden spike in your ammonia. It can cause algae though. How many of the pellets ended up on the substrates though? Before I was using dirt, I frequently added maybe 20+ gels in my 40g. I would see maybe 20+ pellets on the substrates for various reasons. If you have a high water flow and very large bio medias, I don't think it would cause any harm.

this is mostly true for PH higher than 7, ammonia does cause algae, mainly green water. but in acidic water ammonia is not harmful, it is in ammonium form. if you see any ammonia on your test kit you will also read high NO3 reading when using the osmocote. you might notice small spike in NH4 and big spike in NO3, this is because plants will uptake NH4 before they start to use NO3.

so its possible to use the osmocote as a slow release in water, but keeping it stable is impossible.