24" 2x65W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-19-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
istareatplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Exclamation

24" 2x65W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight review

Well I've been using the light over my 20G high for few months now and I don't like it.

- fan noise. it's really LOUD. I would compare it to how a rack server sounds like if you know how that sounds like =).
- the depth(front to back) of the fixture is too short. it is unable to get light to the back of the tank unless the fixture is elevated using the legs(sold separately). I chose not to raise the fixture because of the resulting light leakage.

- the fixture has two bulbs, each having it's own power switch. this enables me to cycle the lights (65w 3hours, 130w 2hours, 65w 3hours). But there is a problem. Since both bulbs share one piece of reflector, when one is turned off it "blocks" the reflection of the other bulb. This makes the tank look dimmer than it should be.

If I had to do it again, I would of bought T5 tek lights or two 65w aqualight fixtures. Or if I had proper tools I would of built my own fixture and used ahsupply light since those come with individual reflectors.

I think T5 will be the best solution since it has a larger illumination area compared to PCs in general.

my 2 cents. wish someone made a post like this before I bought the light =/

Old 12-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
original kuhli
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hmm, makes me wonder about the planned purchase of a 4*65 W 48 inch coralife hood...I'd began looking at the T5s... All the reviews on the Coralife 48" were that it was a quiet fixture...
original kuhli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

I have the 48" coralife aqualite over my 55std tank.

I have been one of the fews luckys' that has not had problems with fan noise on my fixture. It has been the best fixture as far as durability and hasn failed me yet.
I have a current fixture on my saltwater and the damn thing has blown ballasts like crazy.

I am with you as far as light output PC vs T5. I havent had a T5 yet, but from what I have seen it has a better light output than most PC fixtures.

I am going with T5 on my current 50gal under construction. Wait and see game
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
istareatplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I guess "loudness" is relative. The tank is in the living room and it's pretty quiet there. When the light comes on (btw the fan turns on ONLY when the front bulb is on) I can hear the fan all the way from my room upstairs.