What kind of deficiency is this?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

What kind of deficiency is this?

A couple of my plants started getting transparent lines on them and it isn't getting any better. Some of the other plant's stems are also browning.

This tank has been set up for a little under a month so I'm assuming some of my issues can be attributed to it being a new setup.

pressurized co2 (less than 1bps...off at night)
25w fluvial aqua/plant life Led 5200k (on from 6am-4pm and again from 7-9)
Dosing K/Fe and flourish comprehensive (alternating days)
EcoComplete topped with gravel
About 50% water change weekly

I'm not sure if my Chinese algae eater is doing this but I know he has become rather useless as of late in terms of algae.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375223386749.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	183314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375223407548.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	183322  

jbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

That does look more like mechanical damage, not nutrient deficiency. I would remove the CAE and see if the damage stops. They are great for algae only when they are small. As they grow they start looking for higher protein food.

What temperature is the water? I have seen similar damage on some plants that were in a very warm tank. (low 80s).
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
That does look more like mechanical damage, not nutrient deficiency. I would remove the CAE and see if the damage stops. They are great for algae only when they are small. As they grow they start looking for higher protein food.

What temperature is the water? I have seen similar damage on some plants that were in a very warm tank. (low 80s).
Thanks for the response Diana.

I have a preset heater which I believe sits between 75-78F. I will double check this when I get home from work but I'm 90% sure it does not go any higher than 78 in my 20L

I'll also try removing the Chinese algae eater when i get home and slowly replacing him with snails from another tank. often times when I notice him eating anything he is sucking on my plants so I'm hoping that is the reason behind this as it is the easiest solution.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

So the Chinese algae eater has been removed (after about 40 minutes)...and the heater sits at 78+2F is this too much?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
PortalMasteryRy
Planted Member

This could be Nitrogen deficiency. I'm looking at the older leaves and it looks like they are melting or turning brown at the tips which could be nitrogen deficiency but the leaves are not turning yellow.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

i had an issue with the s.repens melting when i first got the tank up an running but i was under the impression that it was a lighting issue. they stopped melting and turned to what they look like know.

the water wisteria has had no melting issues. the leaves were looking beautiful and growing quickly until the past week or so. my co2 diffuser also sits directly behind these plants...could that have anything to do with it?

i thought it may be nitrogen but i was unsure and did not want to make the assumption without first getting some advice from members on here.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Positron
Planted Member

I have the same issue on my HC in a new tank. Some of the leaves look clear and transparent. I was wondering what this was since I have about 10ppm nitrate, and even some nitrite (new tank). I then saw my red eye tetras chowing down on some of it. They went into my 10 gallon tank.

Could be mechanical damage.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmmm, hopefully its not my neons or serpaes eating them.

also, i dosed flourish comprehensive last night and when i woke up this morning the s.repens almost looked as if it had browned/blackened even more....

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-07-2013 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, I have removed the chinese algae eater from my tank...the original problem has been resolved (the transparencies on the plants have disappeared and filled in green). however, not i believe i am having a different issue.

aside from what i believe to be brown diatoms, my s.repens is black around the edges of all the leaves, some of my cryptocryne is doing the same thing and my carolina plants are covered in brown diatoms.

i am going to try and get my hands on some otos (petco ran out over the weekend) to clean up some of the diatoms but i'm more curious about the blackened edges of my leaves.

I have been dosing K/Fe and flourish comprehensive every other day (dose K/Fe one day, skip a day, dose flourish comprehensive, skip a day, dose K/Fe, etc). i think i'm going to narrow this down to once a week to see if it clears up bit unless someone else has a more convincing solution/idea of what may be going on.

replies appreciated!

also, my nitrates are at 40ppm so i don't see this being a nitrogen deficiency.