The Planted Tank Forum banner

Caught my threadfins spawning! - A breeding journal

5K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  0live 
#1 ·
This morning I was in the process of moving the worm cone and noticed that two of my threadfins were huddled under the breeder net.

As I crouched down to see what was going on, I saw the female release eggs! The male immediately turned around and ate two, but a few stuck to some plants and were still there when I came back from feeding my gudgeon fry.

I was wondering if anyone had experience raising threadfin fry and might have some tips? I know that they are SUPER tiny, and need super tiny foods, but right now I only have bbs...

#7 ·
After I witnessed my Threadfins spawning I moved a trio comprised of my best looking male and two nice looking females over to a separate 20H. I added two spawning mops and I've been checking regularly for eggs.

This morning I found some. I counted six on one mop, and 0 on the other but they were really hard to see so there could have been more than what I saw.

I have a 10 gal I'm setting up to served as a grow out and I'm planning on stopping at the glass shop to pick up supplies for a series of small rearing tanks. Though I'm considering a slight change to that after reading an article that suggested putting 2.5 gals in a half full 10 and being able to have multiple spawns in the same 10 while using the 10 to regulate temp.

#13 ·
I have two threadfin fry, not the best setup, but i have them in a modded breeder box in the tank and I added green water 1-2x daily and they lived and grew. I tried golden pearls and flake in the coffee grinder still too big i think-they wouldn't touch it.

after 2 weeks I added some microworms which they seems to eat.
temp needs to be a bit higher, 80ish

ever since the two showed up I have a hard time keeping the eggs good. maybe from too much bacteria in the water from all the greenwater? IDK.
I added some oak leaves to the tank see if this will help.

Of course the green water slowly seeps out of the breeder box making the rest of the tank look nasty.

which makes my wife tell me to clean the tank....etc etc.

so the fry will have to fight for their place in the big tank.

hth

#16 ·
Mine ignored the java moss today and instead spawned on duckweed roots. They seem to spawn higher up in the tank!

#21 · (Edited)
Update: I found ONE fry in the 10 gal I moved my spawning mop to.
I can't believe I saw this little guy! I was tending to another tank in the basement and thought I was seeing motion in the 10. Tiny:
Water Plant Liquid Fluid Organism

Duckweed for scale:
Water Plant Liquid Window Fluid

I checked my spawning mops again and pulled two more eggs. See that teeny tiny dot on the right side of that strand of yarn? That's an egg.
View attachment 195018

#22 ·
I'll be following along, I've had no more fry since the first two. Both of which I lost when I added them to the main tank too soon, but they made it two weeks :)

too many "to"s in the above two sentences.

#23 ·
Just noticed a single fry in my 7.5 work tank. I had moved some plants from home to the tank on friday.. apparently, I had an egg hitchhike along. Based on the size, I'm thinking its another threadfin.

I found it swimming furiously in the filter output.

#32 ·
I've either lost 1 or I mis-counted earlier.

Pulled 3 or 4 more eggs yesterday and have started to just cut off the strands of the spawning mop that have eggs attached rather than trying to pick off eggs or pull the whole mop. So far, so good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.