12 Gallon JBJ
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
kmcandre
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

12 Gallon JBJ

Hey all, I apologize as there is not much to look at yet but wanted to get a thread started to track my progress...

Am converting my old Nano-Reef into a FW planted...Picked up 20 lb of eco-complete and began scrubbing the salt/coraline off tonight with some white vinegar.

Might need a new pump as the old one makes a bit a noise, but it still pushes water so hopefully will have water circulating by the weeks end. Need to order a couple new bulbs (2x24W power compacts), likely will go with 1 10k and 1 6700K.

My vision for the and tank is to create as much depth as possible with the small size (approx 16x16 inches)...Eventually I plan to get a pair of Rams and maybe some cherry shrimp to be the sole inhabitants....

Will post updates to this thread...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0614.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	431017  

kmcandre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
Neatfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pretty cool tank have a pic of the reef?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Actually, did some searching and found this gallery I had on another forum...

No pic of the entire tank but that's some of the things I used to have, kind of miss the Goby/Shrimp they were so much fun!

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/mem...sort_order=asc
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #4
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Talking

Finally got tank up and running tonight. Ended up getting a stand from my brothers old JBJ that he had stored at his mother in laws...Looks much nicer than the one I had before... Water is cloudy I believe from the eco-complete.

Going to let it run for a while before I add anything, have a research trip to Texas coming up in March so will probably wait until I get back to add anything...(Might be able to start some plants, well see)

20 Lb of Eco-complete, piece of driftwood from an old tank I had before and upgraded the pump to a MaxiJet 1200, also added a 50W heater...

Tank is cloudy for now, will need to pick up some filter floss soon...

Was talking to someone at the LFS today and he mentioned something about the hardness of the water being a possible issue when using RO water for planted tanks (tap water here is out of the question)....I was planning on making some PMDD, are there other additives that I should be using as well if I am using RO?

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0620.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	434929  

Name:	DSCN0622.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	434937  

Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Smile

Well, I just got my shipment of dry fertilizer today... received 1 lb gH booster, 2lb KNO3, 1/2lb KH2PO4, 1/2lb K2SO4, and 1/2lb CSM+B.

Also ordered gH/kH, pH, nitrate, and phosphate testing kits which should be here next week.

So far I mixed a 1 tsp of the CSM in 125 mL of water which will give me .36PPM iron for every 4.5 mL dose (using http://calc.petalphile.com/). The actual water volume of the tank is about 10 gallons. I ideally want to dose a macro solution and the trace solution for ferts, and will use gH booster and baking soda to take care of the kH/gH. Will fiddle around with dosing more once I get the tank further along, will not be adding plants until I am back from my trip to Texas (after 3/17)

However....I may have just discovered a problem. While looking at my tank I noticed some water between the bottom trim and stand. I then noticed a bit more on the side of the aquarium. I am afraid I might have a tiny leak somewhere, or it could be water that dripped down the sides while I was working on the aquarium... Hopefully that is the case if not I may have to take it down completely and reseal the entire bottom of the aquarium (nothing is visibly leaking just the tiny bit of water underneath)

I decided to test for the leak by taking toilet paper and tucking it into the cracks where I noticed moisture using a razor blade. If there is indeed a leak the TP should continue to be damp or completely wet as it wicks up a leak. So far the initial water wicked up by the TP seems to be drying so I think the leak may be a false alarm.

So far I am thinking of doing HC for foreground, and someone locally has Blyxa japonica, Giant Hydro, Crypt parva, and matted Glosso available. Thinking of getting the Hydro, crypt, and japonica. Thoughts?

Skipping on the Glosso as it sounds less manageable than the HC... Also am unsure about the driftwood piece I have in there...So little space I feel like some smaller pieces may work better and give me more of a footprint to work with.

Will keep journal updated as things move along (or don't because I have to fix a leak)

Kyle
Attached Images

It's normal to walk 9 to 15 kilometers a day; it's normal not to sit in chairs; it's normal to have calluses on your feet. All of these things are normal. Sitting all day long, in a chair, not running, not walking, that is abnormal, and we pay a price for that.
-Daniel E. Lieberman, Evolutionary Biologist

Last edited by kmcandre; 02-27-2015 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: update
Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Dawagner
Algae Grower

I know when I had my JBJ's sometimes water would drip down from the condensation on the top inside of the lid. Maybe that's what your seeing.
Dawagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #7
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Yeah I left the TP tucked into the space between bottom aquarium frame and stand and they were dry in the morning. I lifted the lid to check water level and adjust heater and then some water was wicked up again by the TP...

So looks like I dodged that bullet. Might pick up a couple small plants this weekend.

My order from BigAls will be here soon and will allow me to get my filteration set up (foam,floss, and Seachem Matrix). Also have pH, gH/kH, nitrate and phosphate kits coming as well. Hopefully these will be enough to monitor my dosing once it begins.
It's normal to walk 9 to 15 kilometers a day; it's normal not to sit in chairs; it's normal to have calluses on your feet. All of these things are normal. Sitting all day long, in a chair, not running, not walking, that is abnormal, and we pay a price for that.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #8
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Well finally got some plants in the tank this week...Disappointed with my experience from the ebay seller that I got these from as he sent Marselia instead of Dwarf hairgrass, did not sent any Ammania that I ordered, and also sent a bunch of extra stuff I threw away because I did not want it....Still awaiting for him to fix this we will see what happens...

So have some Crypt parvulus, Crypt spiralis (at least that is what it should be), lots of Glosso, Fontinalis moss, 1 trident and 1 regular java fern, Ludwigia repens, and a 3x5 mat of Marisela (quadrifolia I believe)

Looks like most of these were emersed grown, Glosso lookin a bit shabby but showing signs of growth after 2 days already, Ludwigia already has a few new leaves, and the Crypts are melting a bit but also showing new growth...

Plants came at a super busy time so I basically tried my best to anchor the Glosso horizontally with gravel and hopefully enough will establish to begin a good foreground. Will be adding DIY CO2 next week...

Comments and/or suggestions are more than welcome!

Dosing KNO3, CSM+B, and a bit of K2PO4.
Attached Images

Last edited by kmcandre; 04-02-2015 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: revision
Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #9
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Here are some new pics...Glosso is actually showing a good amount of new growth which is promising, not really sure what is going on with the Marisela I assume it is just in the process of shedding old growth for submersed growth.

Crypts are doing the same, melting but new growth coming in...

The glosso seems to be orienting itself horizontally as well which is good since I have yet to hook up some CO2 to the tank which should be done by the weeks end.

Ludwigia is coming in nicely, definitely looks different in the pictures than it does in real life, maybe I need to mess with the exposure setting on the camera?

Kyle
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #10
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Here are some new pictures of the tank, I hooked up DIY CO2 about a week ago and the plants seem to be thanking me for it as everything is starting to take off nicely. Cut back on my dosing of Potassium nitrate and phosphate as I was getting some mean hair algae beginning to grow. The Marsilea quadrifolia is the only thing that seems to have not done so hot, as it has had little new growth after the emersed growth has died off.

Glosso is also growing a bit more upright than I would prefer, any suggestions on encouraging horizontal growth?

The individual I got the plants from on eBay has not shipped my dwarf hairgrass yet so not very happy with that seller. Also have a nice infestation of pond snails all over the place but have a few assassin snails on their way next week which should take care of that quick...

The taller crypt in the back is supposed to be C. spiralis but I am strarting to doubt this, any ideas what it actually is (the leaves have the browner color in the pics)

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	466929  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	466937  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	466945  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	466953  

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	466961  

Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

looks good! yeah, the assassins will take care of the pond snail problem in no time
Old 05-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #12
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Well, things are coming along quite nicely...By the end of the day tank is fillex with bubbles from the pearling plants...Acquired some Assassin snails to help take care of the pest snails and unfortunately I have yet to see a killing first hand (although have seen the empty snail shells). Ludwigia is growing very fast and may have to find a substitute eventually unless I want to be constantly pruning them...Fontinalis seems to be finally turning a nice green and showing new growth. Moved the C. parva to a new location as as well as some of the random plants growing in the Glosso (think its Bacopa, now in back left of tank). Glosso still growing well but more vertical growth than I would prefer, going to let it go for a while and trim and replant once it becomes too tall...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0779.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	470449  

Name:	DSCN0784.JPG
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	470457  

Name:	DSCN0782.JPG
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	470465  

Name:	DSCN0781.JPG
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	470473  

Name:	DSCN0780.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	470481  

Old 06-15-2015, 03:01 AM   #13
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Heres the tank right now some updates on livestock

Added two Otocinclus, I believe one is female and the other is male (one is very large other is small)

Today got a pair of Blue Rams, was initially planning on ordering these online but found a great looking male at one local shop and found a good female at another (like having them from two different "batches"

Have had some problems with the Glosso carpeting, CO2 ran out while on vacation and it had all grown about 6 inches tall, trimmed it and re-did the DIY CO2 and hopefully it will form a better carpet after a couple more trims...

Added a few dwarf sags and also have grown out some random bunch plant that was in my glosso (back left rear of tank, looks like "mini" bacopa.)

Will post more pics when I get a chance, need to figure out the ideal setting for my camera and all pics of the fish I tried to take turned out blurry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0807.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	485689  

Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 AM   #14
Cmeister
Algae Grower

Neat to see what a 12 gal jbj can look like planted! I like it. Seems like a bush in the right corner?
Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Back right corner is driftwood covered in Willow moss (Fontinalis (sp?) and a bunch of trident java ferns (and lots of little "java plantlings") tucked in the corner behind it... The driftwood spans across the whole rear of tank, same piece as in the earlier pics.

For some reason the Glosso looks yellow in the pictures but it really is a lot more green in real life! Been a bit frustrating getting a carpet going.

Tags
cube, jbj, nano, rams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.