75g Planted Oranda Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

75g Planted Oranda Tank


Figured I'd start a journal for this tank, even though I have no real plan just yet. It is my first "big" tank. My oranda goldfish had outgrown their 40 breeder, so I upgraded to a 75 gallon to tide them over for a bit :p

Here's the current stats:
- 75 gallon
- Eheim 2236 and Fluval 306 (I would like to eventually upgrade the Eheim to a fluval 406 I think)
- Two 36 in aquatic life dual T5HO fixtures (2x 6,000k and 2x 650nm pink roseate)
- ADA Aquasoil
- Pressurized co2 with inline diffuser (5lb tank)
- Following an EI fert dosing schedule

The tank sits right in front of a sunny window, so I am a little concerned about the potential for some serious algae, but I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Plants currently in this tank have pretty much just been thrown in until I come up with some sort of a plan for this tank. I may not keep all plants currently in here, but here's the list right now:

- ludwigia glandulosa
- ludwigia atlantis
- ludwigia cuba
- ludwigia ovalis
- mayaca fluviatilis
- bacopa monneri
- bacopa japan
- rotala rotundfolia
- 'true' rotala indica (ammania gracilis)
- rotala colorata
- rotala wallichi
- hygrophila difformis
- echinodorus parvifloris 'tropica'
- needle leaf java fern
- limnophila mini
- riccia on a rock
- a couple small patches of HC

And a current tank pic:

Last edited by tithra; 10-25-2013 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: title change
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
du3ce's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: colorado
Posts: 814
Default

wow nice gold fish
__________________
du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
wow nice gold fish
thank you! they seem to be enjoying their new swimming room
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
carpalstunna's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: canton, ohio
Posts: 481
Default

Look at all that room, MORE PLANTS!!!
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
Look at all that room, MORE PLANTS!!!
Haha this is the plan!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Great start!

The window might be a problem.

I used Auto window tint to deal will strong afternoon sun and had great success. I recommend 5% tint also called "Lino Tint". It gives a nice black background and only allows 5% of the light to shine through. There's a removable version available if you can find that one it's worth the extra.

Simply use a spray bottle wet the glass set you film on one side, slowly roll it across the glass. I use a credit card as a squeegee to get the air bubble out. Of course it you error, the removable can be lifted to try again.

Once on simply use a razor and trim to size.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Asu1776's Avatar
 
PTrader: (35/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 472
Default

Otocinclus can help with your algae problems. I have two in my tank and they clean the glass pretty well including the leaves. I'm assuming amanos are out of the question given that the goldfish may eat them? It seems the window is in the back, so you could also use a background to stop sunlight from penetrating.

I have a 60 gallon tank at home...and last I recalled it was pretty big, so that must mean those are some HUGE goldfish. Haha.
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #8
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

I finally got my new 48inch 6 bulb Sunlight Supply Tek light in place last weekend. My plants were starting to suffer under my previous lighting setup... it's amazing how quickly they have perked up under this light. Even with pretty bad damage to the reflectors from salt creep I'm getting a reading of 100 par mid tank and around 50 to the sides with my Hoppy par meter. Very happy with this (I'm only running 4 out of 6 bulbs btw)

Anyway, here's some recent pics. I'm still waiting for the plants to grow in before I decide on arrangement etc. I added some marsilea quadrifolia as a foreground plant. It has started shooting out some new leaves, but I know it's generally a slow grower so I don't expect much anytime soon from it.


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468517043/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468340224/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468334075/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468341105/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468347344/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468344764/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468522693/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468333906/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468332796/]
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Great start!

The window might be a problem.

I used Auto window tint to deal will strong afternoon sun and had great success. I recommend 5% tint also called "Lino Tint". It gives a nice black background and only allows 5% of the light to shine through. There's a removable version available if you can find that one it's worth the extra.

Simply use a spray bottle wet the glass set you film on one side, slowly roll it across the glass. I use a credit card as a squeegee to get the air bubble out. Of course it you error, the removable can be lifted to try again.

Once on simply use a razor and trim to size.
thanks for the tip The algae has been manageable so far. I'm still on the fence if I want a background or not. I'm going to give the tank a little more time to settle before I decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
Otocinclus can help with your algae problems. I have two in my tank and they clean the glass pretty well including the leaves. I'm assuming amanos are out of the question given that the goldfish may eat them? It seems the window is in the back, so you could also use a background to stop sunlight from penetrating.

I have a 60 gallon tank at home...and last I recalled it was pretty big, so that must mean those are some HUGE goldfish. Haha.
thanks for the reply I tend to lean toward the philosophy that goldfish are the best tank mates for goldfish, so otos would be a no go for me. I do have a few nerites in there with them though that do a good job with algae. Amanos would likely get eaten, although I have been tempted to try it.

They are relatively big fish. Around 130 and 160 grams I think last time I weighed them. Certainly not the biggest goldfish, but decent sized and not done growing
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Phil Edwards's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Elysburg, PA
Posts: 838
Default

I've been seriously considering doing a planted goldfish tank and this one's pushing me even closer. Very nice work! I've been concerned about their habit of disturbing substrate and eating plants though. How have you found them do to in the long run? Would you recommend a non-planted area with decorative sand for them to sift through?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
I've been seriously considering doing a planted goldfish tank and this one's pushing me even closer. Very nice work! I've been concerned about their habit of disturbing substrate and eating plants though. How have you found them do to in the long run? Would you recommend a non-planted area with decorative sand for them to sift through?
Definitely go for it! It is absolutely possible to keep a planted tank with goldfish, but you'll need to remain flexible, it takes some trial and error. I've found that that there are three types of goldfish, those that will attempt to eat every plant in sight (for these you'll need to choose tough leaved plants like anubias and java fern), those that don't care about the plants (these you can keep pretty much anything you want within reason, mine fall into this category), and those who really enjoy eating certain plants but leave others alone (in my experience this makes up the majority of goldfish. It takes some trial and error to figure out what plants you can keep with these fish). I would also venture to say that your chances of success tend to be higher with fancies than single tails, but I've also seen some beautiful planted single tail tanks.

My fish do occasionally uproot plants (you can probably see a few floating in the pics) but this is typically only an issue when the plants are new and don't have an established root system. But again my fish are well behaved and don't mess with the plants much. For fish that really root around in the plants, choosing plants that have large root systems like swords and crypts can help.

I've kept a planted goldfish tank of some sort for about 2.5 yrs. what that has looked like has evolved from anubias and swords in a bare bottom tank to what you see now. I'm still learning in terms of the whole planted tank thing my goal is to push the boundaries a bit of what a planted goldfish tank typically looks like because I think Goldies get an unnecessarily bad rap when it comes to plants.

I think an open area of substrate is certainly ideal. My goal eventually though is to have some sort of carpeted area in the front simply because I've never seen it done in a goldfish tank before. The trick is finding a carpeting plant that can hold up to them digging through it. I'm hoping the marsilea quadrifolia will be it since it is a pretty sturdy little plant


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mt prospect
Posts: 907
Default

and where does one acquire such goldfish? surely not petco.

they look amazing.
__________________
20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default 75g Planted Oranda Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
and where does one acquire such goldfish? surely not petco.

they look amazing.
Lol thank you. Mine came from rain garden goldfish online. Other places to check out are dandys orandas and east coast ranchu. I'm a fan of RG and ECR because they are both US breeders whereas DO is an importer.

That said you can also find fish at local chain stores that end up being gorgeous fish with proper grooming


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
keats
Planted Member
 
keats's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tithra View Post
I finally got my new 48inch 6 bulb Sunlight Supply Tek light in place last weekend. My plants were starting to suffer under my previous lighting setup... it's amazing how quickly they have perked up under this light. Even with pretty bad damage to the reflectors from salt creep I'm getting a reading of 100 par mid tank and around 50 to the sides with my Hoppy par meter. Very happy with this (I'm only running 4 out of 6 bulbs btw)

Anyway, here's some recent pics. I'm still waiting for the plants to grow in before I decide on arrangement etc. I added some marsilea quadrifolia as a foreground plant. It has started shooting out some new leaves, but I know it's generally a slow grower so I don't expect much anytime soon from it.


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468517043/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468340224/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468334075/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468341105/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468347344/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468344764/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468522693/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468333906/]


[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/evelynne_green/10468332796/]
This looks really good! It's a whole new realm. Do you like the tek so far? How much did it run you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
keats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tithra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (15/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
This looks really good! It's a whole new realm. Do you like the tek so far? How much did it run you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Thank you!

The tek light is amazing. With only 4 bulbs running I'm getting 100 par mid tank and all my plants are pearling which I've never had pearling plants in my goldfish tank before

I actually got the light off craigslist for $100... It was a deal I couldn't pass up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012