125/50 - update June 2014 - Page 27
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #391
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Phil, this'll have to do for now. I have no time/desire to break the tripod out for a proper picture of the new lighting. Suffice it to say it's like high noon.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #392
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice fish, but are they living in an 8"x8" tank?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #393
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dagnabbit, Phil!!

Seriously, though. They spawned again. Hence the pic.

This weekend. Really...I pro-...no, not really.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #394
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

*evil grin*

Congratulations on the spawn. Here's to hoping some of the fry survive.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #395
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hm, been a while since I updated.

The new lighting is working great, I've settled on 50-75% with two 4-hour photoperiods (separated by 3 hours). Every 2-3 weeks I pull out a few clumps of green hair-ish algae from the areas that get blasted with light (very top of driftwood and the gutter guard under the light). Aside from that, no algae to speak of.

We had one phantom tetra die a few weeks ago, I think just old age.

Umm...yeah. Plants are growing in nicely. I think the bacopa doesn't like the water or something, it grew well to start, but just isn't lasting. Whatever that feathery plant is called...it's going bananas. The reddish plants are growing really well, too. Vals are coming in, but will probably take a while for a 'forest' to grow out. I'm guessing in 6-8 months (so the 1-year mark) things should be just about where I'd envisioned.

Oh, the angels keep spawning and eating the eggs every 3-4 weeks I think. The black skirt tetras seem (imagination?) to continue growing...the largest has to be almost 3" long now. I still would really like to add another 20 or so cardinals in, there aren't enough of them to really enjoy the colouring. One day.

If I remember/have time I'll post up some pictures. Now that the weather is nice car/home maintenance will be taking up most of my spare time.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #396
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank has now been online for almost 8 months.

Fish update
  • I bought a dozen cardinals a few weeks ago during a BigAl's sale. They promptly all died within a week. Got a 6-month in-store credit for the purchase price.
  • I believe they brought something in...3 of the 6 existing cardinals have since died (they were purchased ~1.5 years ago, so maybe fluke (pun) timing)
  • BigAl's suggested I bring in a sample of my water, because 'cardinals are sensitive'.
  • I tested my water yesterday - ammonia@0 nitrates@10 - so unless these particular cardinals didn't like the hardness...must have had something wrong with them?
  • Two of the black phantom tetras died last week, assuming old age or hassling from the angels.
  • Angels, black skirts, platies all 100%.

If we get more fish, I think they'll be black skirts. Those things are tanks, and are the only fish (tetras) that seem to enjoy the 'mid-level' portion of the tank. i.e. Where we can see them. I need to read more on this, since they are kinda plain...but hardy, schooling, mid-level fish = what we want.

Plant update
  • Stuff isn't growing like how I'd expected. I believe due to all your beautiful CO2-enhanced tanks.
  • So we're going to revisit the CO2 debate.
  • I really need to get a 'how-to' for pruning/encouraging growth of aquatic plants
  • The angels destroyed all the Vals - pecking at it pre-spawning

Equipment update
  • The overflow is working fine as-is, I never did get around to fixing the siphon size issue. It's a little noisy, but nothing obnoxious. One day. Maybe.
  • My ancient heaters finally died, replaced with something expensive from BigAl's (like $50/ea).
  • Sump is a beast. Water has been crystal clear 100%.
  • The new-new-new light hasn't broken yet. So that's good. It is also a beast, currently set to 30%, awaing us moving to CO2. SEE! I knew it was a good idea to get the monster and dim it down.

So yeah...I think we're going to go down the CO2 route. I have been super happy with the tank except for plant growth...so starting the path to CO2 goodness.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #397
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fish update
One of the angels died - I believe ate too large a chunk of flake food. Kinda sad to see the last one just kinda hanging out. At least the good news is that whatever those cardinals brought in hasn't done any more damage.

I'm picking up some (50? 75? 100?) neons on Sunday because work is starting to pick up and this is the last chance I'll have for quite some time to do much with the aquarium. (logic!...?)

So we'll see what happens. The price is too good to pass up ($0.50ea), so maybe while I won't have a large school of cardinals, a large school of neons is almost as good.

Plant update
And yeah, no CO2, but I still want to keep up the trimming. Plants grow when I trim them. Fun times!

It still boggles my mind how clear the water has been. Gotta do some trimming - moar plants!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #398
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Picked 'em up - 70 (well 69 now that the angel ate one - he's moved to a 'come get a free fish' tank).

They are schooling with the remaining cardinals, and THIS is what I always wanted in a fish tank. Anyways, we'll see how things go, but so far, so good. They are eating healthily, and apparently are stock imported from Peru - not bred locally.

Tiny little guys, though - most are 3/4", so no bioload fears.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #399
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Id love to see a vid of the fish schooling, and also at feeding time!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #400
maddmaxx
Algae Grower

Well 27 pages later.... Great thread!!!!
maddmaxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #401
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

27 pages! Yeesh...my forum prefs only have it showing up to 10 pages. Fancy.

I'll try and do a decent video tonight, the one last night was a bit random. Same with pictures, it really needs to be dark out, lights off.

The good news is that as far as I can tell, the new guys are happy. Also, someone is coming tonight to pick up the angel. Sad, but good.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #402
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Video uploading now...sorry, didn't have time to really go nuts on quality.

http://youtu.be/YZtUVXXIeRI
Edit: I'm assuming that the HD version will show up eventually.