125/50 - update June 2014 - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #331
angelcraze
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am going to try red rilis in my 120g community, and yellow shrimp in my 90g. A little more expensive then cherries, but not too crazy in my city. My 90g is heavily planted with lots of plant cover, and and 120g will be, so I am sure a few will manage to colonize. If/when your tank is covered in plants or driftwood spots to hide, I'm sure they will survive in there, although you will not see them as much. I guess the shrimparium on the bottom would be a nice place to keep a large number and observe their behaviour.

I have cherry shrimp (love the cherries) in my 46g bow with angel fry and rams right now. Even these little baby fish eat my shrimp, but with more plants they have started breeding again! Also colonizing a tank prior to adding fish is a better idea.

A huge shrimparium would be awesome, but you would only be able to add two types, maybe three to keep them from interbreeding and looking like crap. Neo-caridina (dwarf shrimp) can be kept with caridina species (tigers and crystals) with no cross breeding. I heard minami shrimp are a separate species altogether, but I don't know too much about it yet. I looked into this too!!!

Last edited by angelcraze; 11-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: aaded a bit
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #332
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I have read that if the shrimp are there first, the fish are less prone to buffet-behaviour. Unfortunately time was not on my side for this. At least we have the shrimparium.

I did some more stem plant prune/re-planting last night...seems they get to about 12" then the bottom leaves start disappearing.

Anyone have good clear info on how to grow this stuff large and bushy?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #333
angelcraze
Planted Member

What is the plant you want to grow bushy? I get it's a stem, so I will compare it to my rotala. Here is what I do to make it look better since the tips always grow fuller and pinker:

I cut off the tallest tips (usually grown to the surface) that are hopefully at the back of the bunch. I either rip out the bottom stalk or just leave it short and at the back to re-grow. I plant the nice full stalk in the front of the bunch (this stalk will be shorter). I keep doing this until I get a bush-like "step" effect, (gradually getting taller form front to back) The new stems hide the bottom of the old/tall stems, while they still get sufficient light to the bottom leaves to keep them full and pink. I also make sure not to grow them too compact and thin out the stems to let light reach in between, I just take out the ugliest ones.

I hope this made sense, I am in a hurry, I know you asked for good clear info, LOL
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #334
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha, the step thingy makes sense for stem plants.

I find that they keep growing, but just have leaves on the top 6-10"...anything below that the leaves fall off. (past and present experience)
Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #335
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, figured I'd update...

The BML unit developed a fault (the far 50% of the light bar suddenly stopped turning on the other day, and the rest of the bar got super hot as a result), so I had to test out their support.

Happy to say I got a return shipping label within 24 hours and the unit was dropped off at my local UPS store for RMA. Nick and Joanne have done a great job so far. Unfortunately (assuming due to the ridiculously large package dimensions) it couldn't go overnight, so it won't arrive in Texas until mid-next week.

In the mean time I've plugged my old lights back in. DANG. Tank looks like crap now! So yellowey and washed out...not to mention that one unit's bulbs are toast. Ugh. Can't wait to get muh BML back! <3

Can't recall if I got pictures or not...imagine a 72" LED strip on...now imagine half of it is off...got it?...okay, that's what it looked like.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #336
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unfortunately still no light. I think this is a perfect storm...if you will...of coincidences. A great test of my patience.
  • Issue reported Nov 18 ~6PM
  • Shipping label sent Nov 19 ~early afternoon
  • Dropped off Nov 19 - missed UPS shipping window by 30 minutes
  • Light shipped out Nov 20
  • Light arrives Nov 27 ~AM due to slow shipping
  • American Thanksgiving Nov 28/29
  • Worst ice storm in the US in several years hits Texas and southern states
  • lol

So we'll chalk the delay in communication/action up to all that. I sent an email last night, so hopefully I'll get some better idea of when it'll arrive on Monday. It's cool, having worked alongside customer service/manufacturing, sometimes these things happen all at once. Getting upset doesn't fix anything.

If anything - going back to my old lights has greatly emphasized how awesome the BML unit really is.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #337
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, communication picked up this week. Apparently they are completely swamped with orders. After some repairs and further testing/burn-in, the light is back in transit. Should be here early next week.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #338
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty, light is back!

I'd have to say that even with the delays across the border and with shipping, I would buy from BML again. The RMA was shipped via UPS unfortunately, and UPS doesn't care what paperwork you have - brokerage fees for you! $65 worth.

Joanne at BML got back to me and said if I was okay paying the COD charge, they'd refund me the amount. That worked for me, and it was done the same day by BML! Well done, guys.

So any prospective Canadian buyers - USPS & CanadaPost ONLY!! For any reason!

I am once again blown away by how good everything looks compared to the T5s. Dang. So good.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #339
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Reading about BML's customer service makes me want to buy from them.
Can't wait till I can get things settled and get a new light!!
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #340
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The only thing that could have made it better would be if they offered an upgrade option when it was in for service! I understand the timing didn't work, but I was only two days off their new XB line release date! Haha, again, just a timing thing, nobody at fault.

Ya, every time I looked at the tank today...so glad I spent the money there.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #341
AHP
Algae Grower

Yea I hear you Crazymittens. I am waiting for their next phase of lights to come out and I might buy two 48".
But I am happy with what I have now... for the time being! muhaaa
AHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #342
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Figured I'd update since Phil finally got around to doing one.
  • Welp, got four pearlscale platinum angelfish tonight. They are just lovely, but surprisingly are getting completely harassed by the lone angelfish that was already there. Makes me hate this guy even more. Oh well.
  • Oh, and a sunburst platy I'd assumed was pregnant died today. I kinda hate the platies, too (dirty fish), but they are pretty, and they do a good job with the algae.
  • We were going to get some cardinals, too, but they were babies, so I figured the angelfish would just eat them.
  • Shrimpies had some die-off - pretty sure they were not the greatest stock. Hopefully I'll see some more in the coming months.
  • I must reiterate how good the platinum angels look under the new light. I will nuke that jerk angel before I see them go! (they were also super expensive - on sale, granted, but still, yeesh)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #343
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

why you tell me with no pictures? I want to see these new angels.

I was thinking of getting platies for my tank, but I think I'll pass. Was thinking the babies would be good snack for the fish..eek but if the adults don't cut it why bother.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #344
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
Figured I'd update since Phil finally got around to doing one.
LOLOLOLOL I see how it is. I've got to show you mine in order to see yours?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #345
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Argh, fine. Have some horrible cell phone pics. The last one is the closest colour match.

edit: Oh, and the fighting has (mostly) stopped. Just half-hearted chasing around now. Violence is much less. Amusingly, even the blackskirts are in on the bullying.