125/50 - update June 2014 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #151
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I ran the proposed config through RC's nifty head loss calculator (http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php...oss-calculator) and it looks like we'll only be getting something like 600GPH net.

To resolve this, there are a few options...
  1. Add two light-duty powerheads to ensure proper circulation inside the display tank ($60-70 total, unless I can clean up the ones I have - prev. used in SW tank)
  2. Replace the ghetto 'two-pump-return' with a proper single pump (DC variable BLING) ($200-250 total)

I'm thinking that a cleanup effort on the two Koralias probably has the highest WAF.

So tonight's tasks:
  1. Build overflow box!
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #152
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dang boy, that's looking awesome! Seriously, I really like what you've done so far. As for the tank return, don't cut a hole. It'll make things a little more difficult to access quickly should the need arise.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #153
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tanks! (haha!)

Yeah, after playing around some more, seems like a bad idea to use the bulkhead here. Once everything is up and running (well, testing), I'll start to play around with spraybar ideas to divert the flow across both long panes of the tank.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #154
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More research, better idea. One or two Koralias toward the bottom of the tank at the overflow end. Leave the return as-is, pointed diagonal across the top of the tank.

This should allow a nice circular pattern - Koralias ensuring that the bottom water gets sent across and picked up by the return flow, which then sends it back across the top and out the overflow.

As a side benefit, it means I still get to keep all intrusive plumbing/wiring at the overflow end, so it's an aesthetic win.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #155
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm going to be using either a Korallia 4 or EcoTech VorTech MP40w on my tank, so a pair of Korallias on your system should work. You may find that the pump is better placed near the top, or higher up in the tank, as they have significant draw that could disturb your substrate. Also, if you plan to have any hardscaping materials, there's a good chance you'll get some eddy induced excavation on the flow side. I did a flow test with the MP40s (on 100%, granted) in the reef I'm setting up and got SIGNIFICANT displacement...down to the glass, around some of the rocks.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #156
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hm, good points about 'eddy induced excavation'. That's a nice term.

I picked up the Spa-Flex today - $2.90/ft!!! Ouch. Hope I mentally measured correctly. (mistake#1) Unfortunately Canadapost's delivery dates were super-wrong, delivery is actually the 3rd now, so box building won't happen until Thurs/Fri.

This means, however, that I can go dig those Koralias out, see what's what. Maybe even go out and see some friends tonight. WEIRD.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #157
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Friends overrode tank stuff, and it was good - I need to get out and see them more than once every quarter.

I did get a little tank stuff done - drip tray is siliconed in place (spot decision), and drilled the bulkhead hole for the returns. If Dropbox wasn't so anal about battery life, I'd have even posted pictures.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #158
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BTW, Phil, this should help your sump planning...wished I had it when I was doing mine! http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/3skeng-pipe
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #159
mnellis3023
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

nice build thread, and you were right....this is pretty similar to mine!
One thing I would suggest. The standard 3/4'' tee that you are using for the return pumps could case increased head pressure due to the two pumps competing with each other. I would suggest looking for a sweeping tee which is sometimes called a street tee. This will allow the second pump to place its flow inline with the primary. This should eliminate some back pressure and head lose. See the picture attached, you would reverse it from what the pictures is showing
Attached Images

mnellis3023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #160
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Brief update pics...

Bulkhead drilled

Drip tray siliconed in place

• Still debating if the lip at the edge of the drip tray is a necessity...I suppose it'll add vertical /horizontal strength if nothing else so I can get rid of the central support. Ya, okay fine.
  • Had a brainwave about the drains last night - I'll cut out a section of the lid to be plexiglas, then cut out holes to exactly fit 1.5" PVC. Alternatively, cut the glass using my Dremel...hm. Ya, that.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #161
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mnellis3023, I looked and looked - nothing. Would have to be ordered off the internet, and I just don't care that much about the issue to pay $15 shipping for a $2 part.

Finding those in 2", or even 1.5" was not an issue...in 1" or 3/4"...non-existent at the big box stores.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #162
mnellis3023
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
mnellis3023, I looked and looked - nothing. Would have to be ordered off the internet, and I just don't care that much about the issue to pay $15 shipping for a $2 part.

Finding those in 2", or even 1.5" was not an issue...in 1" or 3/4"...non-existent at the big box stores.
That sucks! They are pretty easy to find here
mnellis3023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #163
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm SUPER jelly of you US residents and your epic online shopping options. Super jelly. Also slightly bitter about how hosed Canada got with NAFTA...but I digress.

If the flow is really that awful, I'd rather put the money toward a quality pump. I saw a number of nice units for sale on the local aquaria forum.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #164
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awwwwww yeeeeaaahhh
Progress thus far. Oh, something came early in the mail. I used it tonight.

Layout post-cleaning
I spent a good hour making sure ALL the old silicone was removed.

Duct tape to hold things together during caulking

Clampies
You can never have enough clampies. Whoever says otherwise...stop listening to them.

Edge came out aight

This corner chipped ever so slightly...but it'll never be underwater, so whatevs.

Made QUADRUPLY sure this side was perfectly square
The tank side, don't you know.

Threw together the internal overflow while I was at it
This'll actually just get regular old silicone on the inside. With the bracing, it'll never ever ever move.

Drum roll. Please.

Floating pipes???

WAT

An hour with this and a dremel at 25000RPM. My wrist is displeased.

SUMP. DONE.

So...wow. The sump is ready. And I still managed to keep it fully sealed!! Super happy.

Oh, and overflow box will 100% be done this weekend.

Which means plumbing is right behind.

A few items on my 'wat' list:
  1. External overflow lid??!
  2. Entry point into the stand for plumbing!?
  3. How to nicely anchor return/drains so no breaky-breaky!?
  4. Blinging out under the stand
Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #165
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Everything is looking good but I have to ask, why you are going to run 2 pumps with only one return? Merging two return pumps to a single return line will result in the pumps resisting the pressure of the other pump from back pressure. I have heard of a few people doing this on their reef tanks but they always used a true "y" fitting that was at least 2x the size of the returns on their pumps. For example if your return on your pump is 3/4" your should use 1.5" plumbing. I can't tell the size of your return plumbing but I would try to find a different way to connect them if you plan on running them on the same return line. Or maybe you plan to get just a single larger pump in the future but just thought I would give my opinion on what I have seen others that tried this do.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.