Into the forrest - 15 Gallon Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Josh40996
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Into the forrest - 15 Gallon Cube

Greetings tpt member!

Since I have recently got back into the freshwater side of the hobby again and I have been sifting through the forums I have decided that I will make a tank journal on here to keep track of my cubes progress.

About a year ago, I tore down my 30 gallon reef tank and used the glass to create a AIO 15 gallon cubic reef tank. Then two weeks ago I decided to try freshwater again and so moved the inhabitants to the 55.

In the past I have done planted tanks but I had always used inert substrates and only water column dosed. My last tank as I transitioned over to reefing was an experiment of mine. It had a 2 inch layer of soil and blasted CO2, there was more plants that water. It was inhabited by a single paradise fish so CO2 levels were no concern of mine

So two weeks ago I stopped by a LFS and grabbed some glolight tetras, 3 peppered corydoras and a killiefish. I also picked up some Ludwigia, Egeria Densa and some Java Fern. Plus a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as I didn't realise I didn't even have a tank setup...

Two days later and the cube is broken down and back up again with freshwater in. Don't worry, the fish was held in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid container.

Its at this point in time where I realised the LFS had only bagged 5 glolights and not the 6 I paid for...

For lighting, I decided to stick with the LED GU10 bulbs I had success with in my reef tank. I bought two more and got rid of 10w of blue led. So in total I have 4 5w 6500K LEDs over the tank, it seems bright to me, but without a PAR Meter what can I be sure of.

I am using DIY CO2 on this tank at 1 bps with 100% dissolution.

Growth seemed fast and I was happy with the state of the tank. Parameters were rock solid from the bat and the quick start did its job, this surprised me because I had always cursed those "snake oil" products.

Last edited by Josh40996; 01-11-2015 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: adding
Josh40996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Plantmytank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Good luck man. Keep us updated. Is it going to be a low tech or hi tech?
Plantmytank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantmytank View Post
Good luck man. Keep us updated. Is it going to be a low tech or hi tech?
Thank you, there is still more to come

Honestly the whole low tech/high tech jargon is unclear to me, so I guess it is what it is If I had to guess I would say med tech.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Default Into the forrest

After a few days with the initial plant stock and scape, I decided enough was enough and decided it was time the tank lived up to its name, "Into the Forrest".

I went to another LFS where I had purchased live plants from before and was happy with, they stock Tropica. Whilst there I purchased Alternanthera reineckii Pink and Lindernia rotundifolia. You get alot of stems in those small pots for the price. So the plant stock list is as follows:
-Ludwigia s?
-Egeria densa
-Microsorum pteropus
-Taxiphyllum barrier (java moss which hitch hiked its way in)
-Alternanthera reineckii pink
-Lindernia rotundifolia

I am happy with this list for the moment, I doubt it will stay as this however.

I also found a nice piece of wood to include into the aquascape. Here is the tank today. Please do mind the bad photography and plastic bottle in the tank, my father is currently working on a stainless steel inline CO2 reactor.

Now all I need to do is wait for everything to grow in Today everything bar the Java Fern has been pearling like crazy, its so exciting!

I only just realised that the very first image with the tank dimensions is wrong, the dimensions are 15"*15"*15".

Last edited by Josh40996; 01-11-2015 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Pictures!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Today everything except the Java has been pearling since the lights came on! I am really impressed with the amount I have seen and the Egeria has grown an inch in some stems since yesterday.

Here are a couple of snaps of the tank pearling, I don't think you can see the extent of the pearling in the FTS but you can see a couple larger bubbles and the pearling from some of the Egeria.

Three streams of bubbles coming from the same area! There were 3 streams for over two hours, for the rest of the day there were only 1. I believe this to be due to higher CO2 levels in the morning?

I am just hoping to get some advice on water flow in here. Currently the outflow from the back compartment is being used to dissolve CO2 until my inline reactor is finished, so I have been using a power head for water movement. The problem is that it is too strong for plants and makes them move alot, plus the corys spend alot more time hidden within the plants and the killiefish stays at the top. Also, when it is on the pearling stops. I am wondering if you recommend I leave it off during the day and turn it on at night or to leave it on 24/7?

Last edited by Josh40996; 01-12-2015 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Pics
Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Bubble Madness

The video seems to have uploaded funny

EDIT:

I finally got a picture of the Killiefish which is in focus and he hasn't deliberately bleached all his colours by swimming under the lights. He is slightly under the light so the colours on his body have not shown up, the colours on his fin cover his whole body when he isn't under the light.

Last edited by Josh40996; 01-13-2015 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Josh40996
Algae Grower

I just witnessed my tetras spawning! The largest tetra (female) was being chased round the tank by two smaller ones (males), then one of the male bumped unto the side of the female and they rolled over and as they did the female released about 10 1-3mm in size eggs next to and on the Alternanthera reineckii, they did this a couple times. Pretty cool to see. The corys are hanging around the same area and they have fat stomachs...

Heres a FTS Update picture, as you can see the most noticeable growth is in the Egeria dense, 3 day difference between the two photos.

One stem has actually started to grow out of the water

The Ludwigia is also starting to fill out. 6 days between these two photos.

Last edited by Josh40996; 01-14-2015 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: update
Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Josh40996
Algae Grower

And on the 5th day, he created algae.

Since yesterday, the tank has been running on less than 15bpm of CO2 and just before much less than that. This seems to have triggered a small algae bloom... Nothing to worry about.

Egeria doing great

Diatoms still present, should be gone soon enough.

I will be finishing the CO2 reactor the week end so that in-tank ghetto reactor will be going asap!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Over the past week the tank has gone through a moderate algae bloom, but is starting to thin out again. I'm not 100% on the ID of the algae, it was a slimy cyano type that formed stringy bits in higher flow and had a fuzzy appearance?

Also, some more bad news is that I have a glowlight tetra MIA...

Two corys have been getting very friendly with each other, whilst the other is happy on his own. The two who like each others company seem to have different body shapes so possibly a male female, we'll see.

Here are a few growth shots of the rotundifolia.

Day 1, 17th January:

Day 2, 18th January:

Day 5, 22nd January

Day 1, 17th January:

Day 2, 18th January:

Day 5, 22nd January:

Some FTS' just after a WC so the water is still cloudy.

And finally the shots I have been waiting for of my killifish! He was at the front of the tank whilst the camera was out so I managed to catch him in all his glory. Those colours look surreal to me!!! I have my new wallpaper

The Tetras

]

Last edited by Josh40996; 01-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Pics
Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
Betta132
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like you have a really nice golden wonder killie.
Might want to add a few more dwarf cories, if possible, and another one or two glowlights. Should keep them happy.
Get those plants bushy enough, and some of the tetra eggs and fry should survive.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Looks like you have a really nice golden wonder killie.
Might want to add a few more dwarf cories, if possible, and another one or two glowlights. Should keep them happy.
Get those plants bushy enough, and some of the tetra eggs and fry should survive.
Thanks for the feedback, I plan on replenishing the glowlights numbers once the algae has run its course. How many cories do you suggest keeping together?

The reinckii in the back right corner has grown tonnes of roots from the middle of the stem which has formed a very dense refuge. I have seen a couple fry like swimmers behind the plants but I doubt we have any survivors.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
littlefish_
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/josh40996/media/tpt/SAM_0056.jpg.html
[/URL]
Your tank and fish are so beautiful, and I'm super impressed by the growth of that ludwigia. But I'm worried that your killifish has a case of camallanus worms. If you look at one of the pics in the quoted section above, you can see what looks like a little red worm hanging from his anus. I'm not certain, it may just be poop, but if it is camallanus it needs to be treated fast. If you google 'Camallanus worm treatment,' you can find the exact specifics, but basically there is this dog dewormer called Safeguard or Panacur that you can mix in water and then soak food in the mixture. Also, I've heard levamisole HCl also works well, but I had a hard time finding it. Check to see if any of your other fish have these red worms hanging from their anuses, the parasite can spread quickly. I hope it was just poop and not worms.

Thanks,
Emma
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefish_ View Post
Your tank and fish are so beautiful, and I'm super impressed by the growth of that ludwigia. But I'm worried that your killifish has a case of camallanus worms. If you look at one of the pics in the quoted section above, you can see what looks like a little red worm hanging from his anus. I'm not certain, it may just be poop, but if it is camallanus it needs to be treated fast. If you google 'Camallanus worm treatment,' you can find the exact specifics, but basically there is this dog dewormer called Safeguard or Panacur that you can mix in water and then soak food in the mixture. Also, I've heard levamisole HCl also works well, but I had a hard time finding it. Check to see if any of your other fish have these red worms hanging from their anuses, the parasite can spread quickly. I hope it was just poop and not worms.

Thanks,
Emma
Now that you mention it that poop is a little suspicious looking, I will defiantly be checking all the livestock for any symptoms.

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Josh40996
Algae Grower

After looking through some photos of the killiefish, it appears he is infected with camallanus as you pointed out. Here is a zoomed in version of a macro, you can clearly see two worms

Im surprised I hadnt noticed it sooner, I am normally quite observant.

Mr Killie has gone to be early tonight so I can't check him out, the other livestock do not show any symptoms as of yet. I will begin to search for Safeguard or Panacur as suggested.

Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #15
Josh40996
Algae Grower

So things aren't going so great today. I had become a little impatient with the algae and decided leaving the algae to run its course was doing more harm than good to the plants. The slime particularly enjoyed encasing the Alternanthera. I decided on dosing 2tbsp of 3% H2O2 and leaving for 20min before doing a 50%WC, all whilst the power head was on for flow and the return pump from the back compartment was switched off. Everything seemed fine.

Today, I return home from college and find the tank is cloudy white and 2 (female) corys are dead and 1 (male) is barely alive. The other inhabitants seem perfectly well. The tank is free from algae, but the Egeria is bleached white. I did another 50% WC immediately and the surviving Cory seems to have relaxed since. I assume corys are particularly sensitive to peroxide? I am surprised the tank has reacted so badly to the treatment, especially since I used a lower dosage than that recommended by the one two punch whole tank treatment!

Ammonia had risen to 0.25ppm, which is expected as the BB seems to have taken a considerable hit from the H2O2.

I will update once anything changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.