MABJ's Duo Cubes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

MABJ's Duo Cubes


Three words. Multiple. Tank. Syndrome.

So I recently set up a shrimp rack, but I only had one tank ready to go for shrimp! I had to fix that, so I pulled one out of storage, and I got a new one as a gift and boom! All of a sudden I had three tanks on the rack. But is three enough? Maybe for some people, but I'm a straight glutton for punishment.

I just snagged two of AquaTop's 2.11g cubes. They're sleek and sexy and perfect, and you can tell AquaTop takes pride in their work. So they're basically a blank slate at the moment!

I have some ideas, some desires of what I want to do with them, but I'm really up for anything within reason, and I'd be happy to take suggestions.

Some details- they'll be side by side cubes, and in one cube I'll be wanting shrimp, but in the other, I'm going to get a long needed dwarf puffer! Yay. Those buggers are so cute, and sad as it is to say, shrimp culls don't exactly have a spot in my heart, so they can go in there, live if they can, and if not, well then they make my puffer happy. The circle of life.

I'll be using 6500k lights of some fashion, I'm going to be starting a little e-store where I bring in lights, test and sell them to the public if they're good.

The tanks will be on the top level of my shrimp rack, so they have to look absolutely BOSS.

Cycling will start next Tuesday, and I'm doing scaping for the moment. I'll have pictures up tonight.

Sad and happy to say-- these are the last tanks I'll be buying for about a year (unless I buy one more cube, but that of course doesn't count.) It's only sad because I doubt I'll ever buy ADA tanks with quality this good coming out of such a fantastic shop. Thanks again AquaTop!
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru
 
bitFUUL's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grolando
Posts: 1,334
Default

Congrats on the new purchases, these Aquatop tanks are clutch. I've got a few myself, and just recently got the 2.11g also.
I'd advise against a dwarf puffer in a tank this small, it'll drive the poor little guy crazy. Those guys are one of my favorite fish but they need room to swim, plants/scape to play in, and access to plenty of snails for feeding (to file their beak down).

Get you a dwarf puffer, they are great, just put him in another one of your larger tank. My .02
__________________

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Congrats on the new purchases, these Aquatop tanks are clutch. I've got a few myself, and just recently got the 2.11g also.
I'd advise against a dwarf puffer in a tank this small, it'll drive the poor little guy crazy. Those guys are one of my favorite fish but they need room to swim, plants/scape to play in, and access to plenty of snails for feeding (to file their beak down).

Get you a dwarf puffer, they are great, just put him in another one of your larger tank. My .02
Thank you. Can you touch more on their requirements? I actually thought they were quite perfect for this sized tank, but I'm not going to put something where it won't be happy. So I definitely need to know more here!
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

In the meanwhile, here's one lighting option, and I'm just playing with how to scape the first one!







Any scape ideas?
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
That70sfishboy
Planted Member
 
That70sfishboy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Franklin, Wisconsin
Posts: 190
Default

Twin!!! They look great! I like the ridge look!
__________________
That70sfishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sfishboy View Post
Twin!!! They look great! I like the ridge look!
Thanks!!! Still debating on plants and permanent scapes! I really want to make one a 4 surface moss mayhem cube!!!
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru
 
bitFUUL's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grolando
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Thank you. Can you touch more on their requirements? I actually thought they were quite perfect for this sized tank, but I'm not going to put something where it won't be happy. So I definitely need to know more here!
While most fish look/move like an airplane, these puffers are helicopters! Their eyes on located on the front of their face (not the sides like most fish), and they are able to hover and swim backwards. I've owned a few dwarf puffers over the years and from what I've learned they require a "fun environment" and tons of snails.

Personally, I wouldn't house a puffer in anything less than about 7 gallons (like a 12" cube). Puffers are always on patrol, so a small/naked tank will drive a puffer crazy. They'll literally pick a corner and swim up and down aimlessly, as if they're sick. So a heavily planted tank with possibly rocks and/or wood is perfect, it'll provide a bunch of little caves and hiding areas for exploration.

For food, the puffer is like a bird. If they don't eat things that will file their beak, their mouth will overgrow to the point they can't open it, and they eventually starve. Puffers will eat nearly anything that most fish will eat, but they NEEEED lots of snails.

I hope this helps a little. Definitely get a puffer, but house him in a larger tank if you've got one. Then make sure to feed him all your pest snails from other tanks, you want him to have a healthy belly.
__________________

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
While most fish look/move like an airplane, these puffers are helicopters! Their eyes on located on the front of their face (not the sides like most fish), and they are able to hover and swim backwards. I've owned a few dwarf puffers over the years and from what I've learned they require a "fun environment" and tons of snails.

Personally, I wouldn't house a puffer in anything less than about 7 gallons (like a 12" cube). Puffers are always on patrol, so a small/naked tank will drive a puffer crazy. They'll literally pick a corner and swim up and down aimlessly, as if they're sick. So a heavily planted tank with possibly rocks and/or wood is perfect, it'll provide a bunch of little caves and hiding areas for exploration.

For food, the puffer is like a bird. If they don't eat things that will file their beak, their mouth will overgrow to the point they can't open it, and they eventually starve. Puffers will eat nearly anything that most fish will eat, but they NEEEED lots of snails.

I hope this helps a little. Definitely get a puffer, but house him in a larger tank if you've got one. Then make sure to feed him all your pest snails from other tanks, you want him to have a healthy belly.
Snails are no problem, but the larger tank thing is. Unfortunately the only thing I have is a tall 4g, and no tanks of mine are heavily planted with anything but tons of moss.

Oh well. I guess no puffer for me. That's sad. But such is life. I appreciate your honest comments. I'd never subject an animal to an unfit home knowingly.

I'm looking for a centerpiece though that might make use of the whole tank. A crayfish might be neat. Can anybody else make any other "centerpiece" suggestions for a smaller tank?
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
That70sfishboy
Planted Member
 
That70sfishboy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Franklin, Wisconsin
Posts: 190
Default

Sparkling Gouramis?
__________________
That70sfishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sfishboy View Post
Sparkling Gouramis?
Eh I'm not so sure. Fish aren't my favorite. If shrimp didn't exist I'd likely not have aquariums. I guess I am going to try to make one a small habitat for a few TBs or something. I've never tried them out.
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
BTuesdays
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 8
Default

Instead of a possible 2g cube, you should treat yourself to Aquatop's Curved Corner 8g All in One. I just ordered it (only ~$47US to my door) and it's a fantastic size for a dwarf puffer (which is exactly what I intend to have in it!).

But I'm interested in seeing what you do with these 2 cubes, too - keep us updated!
BTuesdays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTuesdays View Post
Instead of a possible 2g cube, you should treat yourself to Aquatop's Curved Corner 8g All in One. I just ordered it (only ~$47US to my door) and it's a fantastic size for a dwarf puffer (which is exactly what I intend to have in it!).

But I'm interested in seeing what you do with these 2 cubes, too - keep us updated!
Heh thank you I wish I could. But I have less space than most people, so I try to keep myself down to 5gallon or less.

I actually made a post about that set of deals which sold a lot of those tanks hehe.

I hope you like it, cause it looks fantastic.

I'll be doing a bit more aquascaping today
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
BTuesdays
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Heh thank you I wish I could. But I have less space than most people, so I try to keep myself down to 5gallon or less.

I actually made a post about that set of deals which sold a lot of those tanks hehe.

I hope you like it, cause it looks fantastic.

I'll be doing a bit more aquascaping today
Ahh, I see. I understand, I'm only allowed to have 2 at a time so I'm scrapping one tank for this one. I'll be doing a bit myself, there's a LFS my friend wants to go check out so I'm headed there later to see if they have any good hard scape materials.

Subbed!
BTuesdays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (40/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 763
Default

Seriously, did they give you those tanks on the house for the insane amount of business you brought them lol

That is a beautiful rack! I love the two mini cubes. Not sure if this is what you had in mind, and I know somewhere there is an awesome example of this with 3 cubes (I'll try to dig it up) but you could do one continuous scape across the two tanks. Puffer on one side and shrimp on the other and if you push them together it would look like they are in the same environment. Just a thought!

Bonsai is looking awesome too btw
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

As I always say, if you're looking for a box o rocks that will last you for forever, contact bartohog. My sandstone comes from him. Doesn't interfere with the parameters at all. He collects it and ships it out. Great price and a great guy. I haven't run out of my first shipment in two years lol.
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012