Crypt Color Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
valen1014
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Crypt Color Question

Hey guys!

I'm not very good with plants but I've had good luck with crypts. I am looking for brown-redish crypts. I bought crypt undulata red, and most of it is green with a hint of light brown. Except a small part of it, which is a nice soft brown color (not quite red though).

There is a nearby store that sells crypt wendtii tropica, which I read it's supposed to be bronze. But it looks green at the store actually. I was wondering if there is a chance that I could get it to turn brown maybe by providing certain ferts, or does the color just depend on the particular strain?
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Bruce_S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Not that I have a lot of crypts, but my tropica (they were as puckered as an Eggo waffle when I picked them up in their emersed form!) are the reddest crypts in my tank. Also among the larger ones. (Except for crispatula "balsanae" - that guy trails along the surface!) The other ones I have vary from bronze to green, and with only a couple of exceptions, I don't know what they are. (Petco "Crypt, Assorted" potted plants!)

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

My Crypt Wendtii Tropicas really started turning bronze after I increased the lighting. It makes sense, under high light they just don't need as much chlorophyll to satisfy their photosynthesis needs.

That's my take on it at least.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
valen1014
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the input!! ^^ I think I will just wait to see if mine turn a little more red. It would be awesome to have that contrast
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote