flurescent bulbs in the hardware stores
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
mousey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The new bulbs that are coming out for home use-- are they different than you all are talking about for compact bulbs??
There are none of the measurements on any of the bulbs that i can Find. like color temp, CRI . They only mention lumens.
Mouse
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (168/100%)

What bulbs are you referring to? Do you mean the compact fluorescents that can screw into existing sockets and can replace incandescent lights?

Here the talk about "Power Compacts" = PC bulbs refers to the U-shaped slim fluorescent lights with 36, 55 or 96 watts. Those are expensive and not usually used in homes/offices.

For smaller tanks, the compact screw-in fluorescents can be a good inexpensive option.

Most bulbs have their color temperature somewhere hidden in a code. For example, if you see an 841 printed somewhere on the bulb, it is probably a "neutral white" color of 4100 Kelvin. "Warm-white" refers to lower (red/yellowish) color temperatures, while "daylight" is more blue (5000-6500K) and better suited to light planted tanks than the lower temps.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
mousey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you. where did you learn that?
mouse
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (168/100%)

By reading this and other boards, frequenting hardware stores, building my own light fixtures, trying all kind of different bulbs over different tanks, reading stuff about bulbs and fish tanks on the internet.

One good place where I started to learn about the basics is The Krib: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/ This is mainly a collection of articles on the different topics/issues of planted tanks.

Chuck Gadds pages http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/index.htm and The Skeptical Aquarist http://skepticalaquarist.com/ are other very helpful pages.

The best source of knowledge is, however, THE PLANTED TANK :mrgreen:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote