Finnex ray+monster ray question - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Better is a relative to many things, budgets, goals of the scaper, type of plants kept, etc... Photos wouldn't prove any more useful than having the actual lighting specs explained since a majority of folks use the "auto" setting on their cameras or rely on camera phones.

In all types of planted aquarium lighting, not exclusive to LEDs, a balance covering the full spectrum will always be a safe bet to plan for.

If one were to pair the RAY II with Planted+, there would be an abundance of blue light with little red in ratio. That would provide a very high par but the lighting would not be balanced. Hence the trend in introducing red and full spectrum LEDs in the marketplace. There's plenty of info on these lamps if you take the time to google online.

A viable alternative would be pairing two Planted+ LEDs which may produce more more light PAR than the RAY II and MonsterRay combination.
I only have a single Planted+ fixture so this is merely a hypothesis. Would love to get feedback from anyone that has two Planted+ fixtures.
Well only one of us won that contest...

However I ordered 6 planted+ and plan on doing exactly what you say.

However, due to this expected level of light, I plan on putting one of the fixtures on the very front of the lid, and one on the far back. My goal is to get a wide range of coverage and attempt to get fairly uniform coverage as best as I can throughout the tank. This is an attempt to not do it with the usual high output light hanging x feet above the tank approach.

Also I will have two other tanks as exceptions, my 37G will have a ray 2 and a planted+, my 46G will probably attempt the dual planted+ briefly but soon after switch over to a planted+ and aqueon modular combo.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I will be running 2 rays IIs and a planted + (when it ships) and I have a par meter. Ill report back with results when I receive it.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
I will be running 2 rays IIs and a planted + (when it ships) and I have a par meter. Ill report back with results when I receive it.
Wow, 54G corner setup with 3 finnex fixtures. Where do you plan on putting it, on the front edge left to to right?

Seems like that is the hardest thing to do, to figure out how to light it, unless you just go low light, or a hanging high powered.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

I don't have a PAR meter, but it would be interesting to figure out the PAR for all of the different light setups I have.