72 is gone... Leaking :-(
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

72 is gone... Leaking :-(

We got back from vacation Thursday only to find my 72 half empty and the floor soaked! Luckily, it still had water in it, so the fish and plants were still OK.

I'm working with the LFS were I bought it back in 2008, Aquaeon has a lifetime warranty on them. It also ruined the stand as well.

I'm thinking about replacing this tank with a 33 long. I like the idea of having much less water suspended over my floor! I also like that I can keep my Finnex and have high light over that 12" tall tank.

The main problem is I have to order one, since no LFS carries them. My fish and some of the plant cuttings are currently living in a 5 gallon bucket with my filter running on it, the heater, and a CF bulb above it.

Do you think everyone can live in the bucket for a week or two? They seem to be doing OK so far.
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

you can reseal
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've thought about that, but I'm wondering if there is not something wrong with the design overall? Searching online, I'm not the only one with a 72 bow leaking at the 5 to 6 year mark. I've had other tanks much older than this and never had one leak. I'm gun shy now lol.
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
chan0482
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the look of bow tanks, but was always a bit leery about the design... not sure if there is anything out there to support my misgivings but this is the experience i feared (not to say it cant happen in standard tanks...)

This has quite a few similar stories in it :/
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271201
chan0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Believe it or not, whether its a bow or rectangle all glass tanks with silicone seals will fail at some point. Silicone is strong and holds well but it will break down under the weight of the water within the tank eventually. Something else that aids in a glass tank's break down is the settling of the aquascape in which the stand sits. Over time the stand may find itself unlevel so check it periodically while doing w/c. My 55g gave way after a 11 year run last, so there is no immunity for a glass tank.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote