Hello from Broomfield
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 07-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
jfritz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello from Broomfield

Hi everybody,

I've been messing around with planted tanks for a few years now and have been lamenting the lack of interest in planted tanks in the Denver/Colorado area. Then I found this forum!

Is there anything going on in terms of clubs, events? How big is the planted tank community in this area?

I'm interested in getting some Spiky Moss (Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky') or similar moss. Know where I can get some in Denver?

Take care,
Jason
jfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

welcome im in broomfield also
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz View Post
Hi everybody,

I've been messing around with planted tanks for a few years now and have been lamenting the lack of interest in planted tanks in the Denver/Colorado area. Then I found this forum!

Is there anything going on in terms of clubs, events? How big is the planted tank community in this area?

I'm interested in getting some Spiky Moss (Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky') or similar moss. Know where I can get some in Denver?

Take care,
Jason
Welcome to the forums. The Colorado Aquarium society has a some plant nuts in there. There are quite a few of us spread around the state. I happen to be in Northglenn. The Willow or Christmas tree moss can be had in the S&S here on the forums. in terms of local, I know Aqua Imports in boulder gets it from time to time, although if its been in there tank a while it may have hair algae in there.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
jfritz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Welcome to the forums. The Colorado Aquarium society has a some plant nuts in there. There are quite a few of us spread around the state. I happen to be in Northglenn. The Willow or Christmas tree moss can be had in the S&S here on the forums. in terms of local, I know Aqua Imports in boulder gets it from time to time, although if its been in there tank a while it may have hair algae in there.
Thanks, Noahma I'll check with Aqua Imports to see if they have anything. What is you favorite LFS in the Denver area, btw?

I'm about to restart my 55 gallon tank. I bought a bunch of Aqua Soil Amazonia (normal type) and I'm hoping to do it low-tech style with no CO2 injection. My last tank was too much of a maintenance nightmare with CO2 and I'm hoping to spend less time on it going forward.

- Jason
Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks, Noahma I'll check with Aqua Imports to see if they have anything. What is you favorite LFS in the Denver area, btw?

I'm about to restart my 55 gallon tank. I bought a bunch of Aqua Soil Amazonia (normal type) and I'm hoping to do it low-tech style with no CO2 injection. My last tank was too much of a maintenance nightmare with CO2 and I'm hoping to spend less time on it going forward.

- Jason
I happen to like Aqua Imports more than the others. They seem to be able to get just about anything plant or fish related you want, they do not have a minimum purchase qty. for said item. The plant shipments come in on Fridays (this coming Friday actually) I like to get the plants asap to avoid any algae problems.

I also like Catfish Charlies. Small shop run by a really nice guy, I get most of my LFS brand bows through him.

Let me know if you might want to try a few trimmings. I have one in line for some now that they are growing well. I am currently at 26 species of plant lol most are high light.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
jfritz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I happen to like Aqua Imports more than the others. They seem to be able to get just about anything plant or fish related you want, they do not have a minimum purchase qty. for said item. The plant shipments come in on Fridays (this coming Friday actually) I like to get the plants asap to avoid any algae problems.
I like those guys too. I also like Neptunes in Centennial, but it's too far to go there often.

Quote:
I also like Catfish Charlies. Small shop run by a really nice guy, I get most of my LFS brand bows through him.
Wow, thanks a lot for this recommendation! I had never heard of it before, and I drive by it every day.

What do you mean by "LFS brand bows"?

Quote:
Let me know if you might want to try a few trimmings. I have one in line for some now that they are growing well. I am currently at 26 species of plant lol most are high light.
Thanks! It's good to know people to possibly trade with!

I'm going to have a pretty simple, medium light tank (2WPG of T5HO). And like I said, I'm hoping to do it without CO2 injection (although I might turn it on a little depending on circumstances). I already have an amazon sword, ozelot sword, java fern, some time of reddish crypt (wendtii?), and some kind of saggitaria that can't decide if it is a low 2" foreground plant or a 20" monster (it grows differently in diff parts of the tank). I also have jungle vals, but I'm thinking of getting rid of them because they grow so rapidly (6" a week even without CO2).

I'm planning to restart the tank using a dry-start method, hoping to create a carpet of dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) and Staurogyne repens. Then I'll add back in the other plants. Again I'm getting a Aqua Soil substrate.

Oh, and I'm hoping to try out a moss like Spiky or Christmas or Flame to attach to the new driftwood I just bought.

Cya,
Jason
Old 07-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I like those guys too. I also like Neptunes in Centennial, but it's too far to go there often.

Wow, thanks a lot for this recommendation! I had never heard of it before, and I drive by it every day.

What do you mean by "LFS brand bows"?

Thanks! It's good to know people to possibly trade with!

I'm going to have a pretty simple, medium light tank (2WPG of T5HO). And like I said, I'm hoping to do it without CO2 injection (although I might turn it on a little depending on circumstances). I already have an amazon sword, ozelot sword, java fern, some time of reddish crypt (wendtii?), and some kind of saggitaria that can't decide if it is a low 2" foreground plant or a 20" monster (it grows differently in diff parts of the tank). I also have jungle vals, but I'm thinking of getting rid of them because they grow so rapidly (6" a week even without CO2).

I'm planning to restart the tank using a dry-start method, hoping to create a carpet of dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) and Staurogyne repens. Then I'll add back in the other plants. Again I'm getting a Aqua Soil substrate.

Oh, and I'm hoping to try out a moss like Spiky or Christmas or Flame to attach to the new driftwood I just bought.

Cya,
Jason
LFS (local fish store) and bows referring to Rainbowfish. Generally the LFS rainbowfish are more likely than not to be hybrids of some sort. My tank has a couple species of "LFS bows" and genetically pure bows from hobbyist breeders.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, I have never been able to do a dry start tank, I am too impatient to let it grow in lol