Worst thing ever knew about happing to a fish? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
garloki72
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
i've lost 1 white cloud and 5 pygmy cories to the drain.

i also had a golden wonder killi in a bucket that had gotten infested with mosquito larve, and my one my cats got in her out of the bucket and started playing with her. sliding her across my floor and what not. when i found her she was almost completely dry, and covered in cat hair. i threw in a tank to wash the hair off, saw that she had open wounds and put a little H2O2 on her. that was in march or so of last year and she is still alive today.
Thats crazy! Shes a little trooper I suppose.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

yeah it was pretty crazy. i didn't she was going to live, she started to lay eggs. i thought it was a sign she wasn't gonna make it. and sadly i didn't have a male to fertilize the eggs, because she harassed him until he jumped the tank :-(.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

I just recently gave 1 angelfish and 2 golden dojo loaches to my sister in law. All of which are about a year old. She has some experience with fish but not really. She texted last night saying the angelfish was losing its color. I told her it was stress related and check her water. Then I get a a text that she thinks its the heater, and she dosent know how to set it. Her words "The heater only has + and -. No actual temperature reading". " So I just turned up to +". I told her I hope your hungry, cuz your probably cooking the fish. I was a little upset, because I raised the fish for over a year. My wife said there just fish. Of course she dosent understand.

I feel bad because I wanted to give away my angelfish. They were becoming too aggressive towards there other tank mates. My dojo loaches kept digging up my plants. All the other fish are now happy and swimming all throughout the tank. Still feel bad, and I think im gonna have to make a trip to the sister in laws.
andrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I'd like to know more about these two stories...
My aunt visited China years ago I had just started my first 10g tank with guppies and didn't know how to maintain an aquarium. She heard about this from my mom and decided to bring me a Chinese keychain goldfish for Christmas. It died in 2 weeks. Then sat on my desk for another month with a rotting corpse inside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mr.bigglesworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bigglesworth View Post
My aunt visited China years ago I had just started my first 10g tank with guppies and didn't know how to maintain an aquarium. She heard about this from my mom and decided to bring me a Chinese keychain goldfish for Christmas. It died in 2 weeks. Then sat on my desk for another month with a rotting corpse inside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Quite gruesome

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lost a rummynose to a drop checker, and still wonder to this day how it even managed to get in there
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I'd like to know more about these two stories...
It was a Discus that was beaten up and was going to die. Ate a pleco once at a fellow hobbyist's place.

Both tasted pretty good.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #23
LooksLater
Algae Grower

I had the sponge pre-filter come off my powerhead (with some help from the cats, I assume) ...a Giant Danio was stuck to the open intake when I got home.
That had to be a hard way to go.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
It was a Discus that was beaten up and was going to die. Ate a pleco once at a fellow hobbyist's place.

Both tasted pretty good.
You're my hero man....
Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow! aquarium fish are the new sushi. :O
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #26
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:

Both tasted pretty good.
lol
I understand discus but a pleco taste good? They don't look it.
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #27
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:

Both tasted pretty good.
Every time I see a discus I think they look like sunfish, and then I think they look delicious. I've always wondered.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #28
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)
Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
About 7 years ago I was doing my usual Friday morning ritual of flushing out my pond filter and replacing the water lost thru back flushing with a garden hose. I forgot to turn off the hose and had not gone to check on the pond until Sunday morning. Needless to say all my koi( ranging from 8-20") were dead, approximately 30+lbs of fish. I was literally crying as pulled one after another out of the pond. A combination of chlorine and rapid temp change did them in. All because I forgot to turn off the hose. Talk about being sick.

I do this all the time, just so glad I have well water and the change in temp hasn't killed any yet...

I forgot to put the strainer on a filter, woke up the next morning and 3 or 4 big molly fish had been sucked in, chopped up, one stuck to the intake...

secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

My first exposure to fish keeping ended rather tragically (I suspect a lot of people's do).
It was quite a few years ago, I was about 7 or 8 years old and my mother had a habit of using me as an excuse to do "child things" like go to Disney World, see kiddish movies I wasn't interested in, and.. get a fish tank. Got a 20 gallon set up with a fish-less cycle then she decieded to "test if it was safe" by buying a big fat orange goldfish and plopping it in. After a day it wasn't dead so she went to get our "real fish", my mom got dalmatian mollies (about 5-7) and a common pleco (1-2 inches long). Well they went in the tank in the morning with the large goldfish still there and by the time we got home for dinner the goldfish has killed ALL the mollies and eaten parts off of some of them. Then before bed that night I pulled the pleco out of the tank and put him in a large bowl with tank water because the goldfish was harassing him to death, biting and chasing all over the tank. The pleco tragically had been too severally wounded already, he barely moved in the bowl and died soon after while I was still watching him. I felt so terrible for the pleco that I wasn't able to do anything to save it. After that the goldfish was killed and the tank drained and abandoned in the basement.

As tragic as that was, it seeded my love for plecos and a strong desire to have a successful tank as an adult. My tank is nearly a year old now and all the fish doing quite well. I have a Sailfin pleco that I hope to keep alive and happy for a long time to make up for the loss of the one as a child.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #30
Abe Froman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLater View Post
I had the sponge pre-filter come off my powerhead (with some help from the cats, I assume) ...a Giant Danio was stuck to the open intake when I got home.
That had to be a hard way to go.
Similarly, but no cats involved, I only had 10 Neons so I would count often just to see. So one night after several counts, and they are hard to really count anyway, but I went ahead and gave up on one of them. But my tank is not yet heavily planted, so I figured I'd find the body. No body, looked up and down. Eventually I said to heck with it and pulled the powerhead to look, yep, he was in there. Number 5 isn't alive anymore. Oh well, make sure it has a sponge on it now.
Abe Froman is offline   Reply With Quote