java ferns: anyone else have this problem?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
hutch11
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

java ferns: anyone else have this problem?

Hi, I was looking at my java fern today and since I have gotten it some of the leaves are like half black and half green..and I don't know what this is from?..I have it suspended on a piece of driftwood..but I would really like it to be green and bright not black and dull..anyone know whats wrong?
thanks.
hutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

As long as the rhizome stays green and healthy, the plant will be fine. The dark/black leaves might have died in transition, or had a nutrient deficiency in its previous tank. Cut the black leaves if you don't like them, the rest of the plant will be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

I can grow tons of plants but java fern always gives me problems when I first receive it. It usually takes a good 1-2 months for it to acclimate in my tanks. Once the leaves start turning black I just trim them off. Eventually the plant starts to take off once it's fully acclimated.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think it's normal for older leaves on java ferns to turn black... At least, all of mine do it. As long as the rhizome is firm the plant is fine. Sometimes the rhizome even turns black, but it will continue to grow and put out new leaves as long as it isn't mushy. Once you have some healthy new leaves, clip the black ones with a sharp pair of scissors about 1/4 inch from the rhizome.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
hutch11
Planted Member

ok thanks guys!! I just wanted to make sure it was sort of "normal". Also I was wondering if leaves of the fern produce new little plants? it looks like little java ferns on the end of one of my leaves...could this be another plant?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

It produces baby plants from the center vein of the older leaves. Wait for the baby plants to grow three or four leaves, then pluck it and tie it down like the rest of your fern.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
hutch11
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
It produces baby plants from the center vein of the older leaves. Wait for the baby plants to grow three or four leaves, then pluck it and tie it down like the rest of your fern.

so its essentially a new plant growing?!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup, free Java fern.lol

Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
hutch11
Planted Member

could I tie anywhere then? so it will grow a new fern?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes. Just don't bury the rhizome and it will grow. I prefer to remove them from the mother plant when their leaves reach about an inch long, then let them float freely for a week or so before tying them to something.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
hutch11
Planted Member

well I made the mistake I have two ferns in my tank the one suspened is doing the worst..and I did bury on in the soil (rookie mistake) but if I take it out it will make a huge mess in my tank, because it is dirted ...so I cant do much there..and I will as one of the new growths is getting pretty big..what strikes me weird is that the one in the soil is doing good and not turning black.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Rob in (ca)
Algae Grower

I also can not grown Java fern, so you do not bury the roots ?
Rob in (ca) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can bury the roots but not the rhizome. I generally wrap the roots around a rock so that the rhizome sits against the rock, tie it in place with some cotton thread, then push the rock into the substrate, leaving the rhizome exposed. This way about half of the roots are buried and half are exposed.

In a gravel substrate, the rhizome might be ok if buried... But in finer substrates it will rot eventually and kill the plant.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
JeffyFunk
Algae Grower

I'm sure this is going to be a controversial comment, but i find java ferns to be very sensitive to your water quality. All of mine used to grow okay w/ the black sections like you have until i started to use activated carbon in my canister filters. Since then, my java ferns grow much nicer looker with much less black sections. (I also don't get BBA as much, either, since i started using activated carbon.)

Maybe i'm just unlucky with my tap water and something is in it that my java ferns don't like... For me activated carbon did the trick. I'm sure there are plenty of people w/ great water from the tap that don't have this problem (of okay tap water quality) and grow great java ferns with no problem, but i'm wondering if anyone has noticed this as well... has anyone added activated carbon or switched to a purified water source like RO/DI and noticed a change in their java ferns growth?
JeffyFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hmm interesting suggestion. I never used activated carbon in my planted tanks. I think I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a bba problem in my 75g, and I hope the carbon gets rid of it or at least reduce it.
Mizuhuman is online now   Reply With Quote