Setting up a shrimp only tank, need advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
wildroseofky
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Setting up a shrimp only tank, need advice

I was given a 5 gallon tank and want to use it for my blue pearl shrimp. I am thinking of using black sand of some type for substrate. Any particular one I should look for? Would soil or some other be better? I have a Whisper 10 internal filter but it isn't great so I am going to order another small HOB. Any suggestions? I am thinking of one of these because they are on sale http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=19616 or http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=12320. I have a tetra preset heater. Would that be okay or do I need an adjustable one?

I am hoping to pick the bluest of the shrimp for this tank. I only got a couple in the order that were pretty blue. As they made babies I ended up with some that are more clear, some that turned a yellowish orange, and some that have come out white. I didn't pay much for them so they weren't the best blue pearls. I found a nice blue female that is berried so I am hoping she has some pretty babies. I haven't seen the really dark blue one since I put it in the tank a few months ago so I do not know if it is still alive. Hopefully this females babies will be nice and blue. How old do shrimp need to be before their color sets?
wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
steakman
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

I bought this one in order to get enough spending > $49.00 to get free shipping from drsfostersmith, and end up really like it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=9821

It's good for 5 gallon tank, and it costs a mere $8.00

It looks decent and powerful enough that I have to adjust the flow down a little. It comes with a nice piece of pre-sponge filter as well.

It's kinda cute like a little Chinese made toy.

Give it a try but ... please don't get up set if you don't like it ...

SM
steakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

You likely won't need a heater unless your water stays in the 50s for extended periods.

As far as filters, why not pick up an AquaClear 20 or 30? They're perfect for 5-10gal tanks and will provide you much more flexibility. They're usually cheapest on Amazon and from Ken's Fish.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
wildroseofky
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks for the suggestion Steakman. Is this filter quiet? I have not used any of the filters I mentioned. I want a quiet one. Money is also behind the options I mentioned. I have a big enough order to get free shipping if I order the substrate from there. Cannot find black substrate anywhere in my area.

I love the aquaclear 40 I have Somewhatshocked but I was trying to keep the price low. If it is on sale when I place my order, I will get the aquaclear. I do not want to spend a ton of money on this little tank because I have spent so much on my 29 gallon. So far I have one 29g, two 10g, and one 5g tank. I keep spending more and more on tanks and plants. LOL I need to draw the line somewhere. I still need to get plants for the 5g. I want to try some kind of carpet plant, a T5HO light, and some other new moss or plants. I am thinking crystalwort for the floating/moss plant. I already have tried duckweed, water lettuce, and christmas moss. I am thinking of Downoi also because I like the look of it. If I do a forrest look though, I do not know if those plants will work. Suggestion for small plants that will fit the tank would be appreciated.
wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

You should be able to get an AquaClear 20 for about $18-$25, depending upon retailer. Though, the 30 would be even more quiet.

What region are you in? You can find Black Diamond blasting grit for $8 per 50lbs at Tractor Supply. If you're in the region I think you're in, it should be no problem finding it.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
steakman
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Steakman. Is this filter quiet?
I have it in my bedroom. It's pretty quiet ... or maybe I am a heavy sleeper. My wife hasn't complained.

It's pretty strong, but I have no idea if it's reliable because I only have had it for about a month now.

SM
steakman is online now   Reply With Quote