Any Planted tank w/o Algae....ever?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Black Pearl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any Planted tank w/o Algae....ever?

Just wondering if it is possible to grow plants w/o any algae also growing. Seems that growing plants also means growing some form of algae at the same time.
Thoughts?
Black Pearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think we all have ups and downs. Periods with very little algae or periods where it grows more. But I think that all planted tanks have some algae somewhere to some degree, even if just a little. Even planted tank über guru Tom Barr says he gets some algae, and then he knows he needs to adjust.

The trick is keeping it pinned down, and jumping on it before it becomes a real problem.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
BoyNature
Algae Grower

Hey there.

I think it's definitely possible to have a tank without green water. I've had my tank for a couple of months now and I haven't had an algae explosion problem. I suppose, there will always be SOME algae in your home aquarium as its only natural. And it constitutes part of the biofilm on your aquarium surfaces.. It's only when there's a population explosion or algal bloom that the real problem happens. The trick is to balance (and this may take a lot of trial and error) the amount of nutrients in your tank with the amount of plants you have. I took the easy way out and started with a whole bunch of plants - I have 13 in total in my 10 gallon (14 if you include the algae, ha ha). But I did want a heavily planted "natural, foresty tank", so that works for me....

Here's a picture of my 10 gallon - never had any problems with algae...!

G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
I think we all have ups and downs. Periods with very little algae or periods where it grows more. But I think that all planted tanks have some algae somewhere to some degree, even if just a little. Even planted tank über guru Tom Barr says he gets some algae, and then he knows he needs to adjust.

The trick is keeping it pinned down, and jumping on it before it becomes a real problem.
You hit the nail on the head with that one AnotherHobby! Just saw your reply

Also, it pays to remember that algae are very primitive forms of life with regard to plants... And they find it hard to compete when there are stemmed plants around just because stemmed plants are so much more adept at acquiring nutrients from the water column. So adding plenty of fast growing stemmed plants is definitely a good bet at keeping algae populations down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	191578  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-14-2013 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
BoyNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Black Pearl
Algae Grower

I have some GDA, Brown Algae and GSA. A little. Once a week maintenance keeps them at bay. I am hoping that I can extend maintenance to once every 2 weeks. I can be happy with that.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
Fishmommy
Planted Member

When a tank is dialed in and stable, you can have long periods of no visible algae. My 75 had what I consider zero algae for years....until I messed with it. It had been so long I had forgotten how to deal with it. LOL

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD
Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Flear
Algae Grower

algae never spontaniously appears.

some is gotten through the air, (spores and such)
most is gotten through spores in the water of the fish we buy.

like all the soaps on the market 99.99% effective, but it's that last fraction of a percent that is surviving that makes it into our tank, ... if conditions are right it grows and multiplies.

make a check-list of every algae (and the non-algae type algae) that your tank has ever had. for as long as the conditions are wrong, you'll never see that algae again. when conditions are right, you may suddenly have those same algaes showing up again.

if something dies off completely, buying another fish may reintroduce it, and if the conditions have been right for awhile, you'll have an outbreak ASAP
Flear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Black Pearl
Algae Grower

So, does anyone have an established planted tank (say, at least a year old, minimum) that has never had algae?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I've run a mini pressurized CO2 kit in a small planted tank for 7 hrs./day along with the lighting period for over 2 years now, and have had only very occasional bits of BBA and very infrequent & minor dustings of algae on some of the white sand substrate, which usually disappears quite quickly. I've gone many months without any algae whatsoever, so perhaps it's just been a bit of luck too.

Here's some pics of the tank taken about 6 months ago:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias

Ignore the first pic, which is a 40 gal juvie discus grow-out tank.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
I've run a mini pressurized CO2 kit in a small planted tank for 7 hrs./day
Your tanks are always so clean!

Is it the Fluval one? Do you like it?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)
Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono

My 20 and 40 have no algae. My 110 is way too tall, terribly impossible to light it, so there's some brown algae, but not enough to notice.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
Your tanks are always so clean!

Is it the Fluval one? Do you like it?
Thanks - I work at keeping them very clean - it's not hard though...it just
takes a couple of extra little maintenance steps, and some inexpensive equipment.
Be glad to share the 'tips' with you if you like.

I use the Fluval 88 mini pressurized C02 kit - works like a charm - effective, very easy to regulate, & has everything you need. Good for tanks up to 40 gallons.
I love it - the only disadvantage is the CO2 cylinders are not refillable, so replacements can run into a few $$ a year.
But I only run mine 7 hrs./day and a cylinder lasts for up to 6 weeks.

With the CO2, the Anubias in that small tank I posted pics of, have more than quadrupled in size/quantity since I got them. Orinally had 4 of about 2" in size, and now have about 12, and I gave a half dozen away.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote