DHG Acclimation Disaster
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Otoscapes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DHG Acclimation Disaster

Not too long ago, i bought some dwarf hair grass from the LFS. However, the plant was growing submersed. I am trying to grow them immersed in my tank but they have begun to mold at the dying tips.

I trimmed the moldy parts off and then just a day later, the tips molded again > whats my best option here? keep cutting it back and let the grass acclimate or just fill the tank and let it grow submersed?
Otoscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

When growing emersed, one typically has to seat the plants in a bed of soil or some material to provide nutrients and to situate the plants in a stationary position. When there is mold, it indicates an excess in moisture. the substrate should be damp to the touch but not wet. The container should be sealed with cellophane to seal moisture. This is key as it prevents the plant in conversion to dry out.

Resolution:
Remove as much water from the substrate as possible. spray a 50/50 dosage of excel or 3% peroxide on the mold areas to clear it up and seal the plant container. Mist daily or every other day as necessary when either the plant or soil appears to be dry.

Fortunately, grass species plants are fairly resilient and they are tolerant to deep trims. Generally i trim as they advise with lawns which is to cut no greater than 1/3 each time. This helps the plant retain its nutrients while triggering root and runner to growth
Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would start by filling the tank so that the grass is under water, 2 inches or so. That just might kill off the mold, if it is mold.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote