Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ - Page 33
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #481
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Welcome Chinton! Good idea on the thermometer backup! When I was shopping for heaters I read quite a few horror stories of people's fish getting cooked. If your using a water level switch for an alarm it would be good to auto shut off the heater also when the water level gets low in case you forget.
Curt_Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #482
nayr2
Algae Grower

Oh man, maybe I should have googled "satellite led plus arudino" BEFORE getting my prototype working because this thread would have been super helpful. I thought I was soooo clever that nobody would have done this yet!

Nevertheless as of yesterday I have a 24 hour day/night cycle working with fades from blue to orange, yellow, and full power, and then back down to the darkest blue at night.

http://chattypics.com/files/photo3JPG_aoorjvs6di.jpg

My code is a bit different as it doesn't use alarms, it can fade from any RGB/Brightness to any other RGB/Brightness over any set period of time. I set a target color and the duration and it will send the IR codes to fade as smoothly as possible over that period of time. Right now I have it changing every hour, but I'm planning to do clouds passing by and other weather variations and effects. I'm still working on things but I'll post it here for anybody interested, or for the next sucker that forgets to google before getting their project working
nayr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #483
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

Nayr2 that sounds like my code! Great minds! Post your code so I can steal any improvements!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #484
nayr2
Algae Grower

I've done very little testing and no re-factoring or re-evaluation of my implementation, but if you're interested I've posted the code here:

https://github.com/nayr974/Arduino-A...Controller.ino

I'll probably be working on this for the next few weeks, as I really would like weather patterns. I picked up a wifi shield and I'm going to try to get the weather in real time for a location and have it represented. I also have a water circulator I'd like to PWM control and have tied into the weather states.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #485
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr2 View Post
I'll probably be working on this for the next few weeks, as I really would like weather patterns. I picked up a wifi shield and I'm going to try to get the weather in real time for a location and have it represented. I also have a water circulator I'd like to PWM control and have tied into the weather states.
now "that" is fancy.. So are you going to add rain as well???

The Ulitmate tank. Looking at it you can tell the weather outside..
Well except for me.. snow and 30 below aren't really conducive to a tank..
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #486
Mustang5L5
Algae Grower

So, after looking around and not seeing any 20x4 LCD box's I liked, i decided to make my own.

I had a few resources i could use, so I designed up a stand in CAD, and then used a CNC laser cutter to cut the design out of 0.080" Aluminum.

So from my CAD model I got this

And then I bent it up into this

My first trial, and i found some things I'd like to modify. Need to add a mounting location and screws for my RTC. Also want to add a few more 1/2" holes for bulkhead connectors for my wires. The one wire you see is for my long temp probe to go into the tank. Need another for my IR wires. Plus future expension

Once i get the layout right, i'll solder up the wires and power it up.

I also have to think about how to mount the arduino on it.

So while i might need help with coding....I'm an ME so this sort of mechanical design is up my alley
Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #487
rachnhaze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

following.. builiding a led controller for my saltwater tank and would love the real time weather simulation
rachnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #488
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr2 View Post

Now you've gone and stolen MY idea! And here I was thinking I was SO clever that no one else would have that idea... :-)

In all seriousness, do you think tying the local weather would be easier by connecting the arduino to a raspberry pi, and having the pi get the weather status, or does the arduino have the ability to get that data when connected to ethernet/wifi? Clearly I haven't done any work on this just in the idea stage.
bigd603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #489
bigd603
Planted Member

Actually, it would be really cool to set this up in a biotope tank, and have the setup grab weather data from the location you are trying to mimic. Sitting in your living room, and your fishtank starts to flash. "oh looks like there's a lightning storm in lake Venezuala."
bigd603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #490
ODwyerPW

Subscribed.
Cool. Building my Own Aquarium Controller. I'll compare notes as I make more progress.
Cheating a bit on my Probe Measures.. using some components from Atlas-Scientific.com.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #491
nayr2
Algae Grower

I find that I'm getting more lost commands than I'm happy with. If I go up 42 steps and down 42 steps I'm always a few places off from where I expect to be. Sometimes I can see a command sent and the light just not do anything.

I've tried soldering my IR output directly to the middle pin of the IR receiver of the light and that did help, but I'm still seeing it miss commands. Does anybody have an idea to get this as close to 100% as possible?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #492
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

Mustang, that looks awesome!! Are you going to encase the whole of it with additional metal panels? Wish I had access to the cutters at my work but I'm sure you know how the big soul-less corporations can be!

Nayr, if you look at my code each sunrise or sunset is followed with a hard coded command to the final lighting setting to prevent drift (either full spectrum or all lights off). I've never really noticed it making a big jump, but even being off a single lighting level will add up to a big difference over just a few days if there is nothing to make sure it is reset at the right lighting. Too bad we can't just read the lighting level from the light itself....
Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #493
nayr2
Algae Grower

Thanks Curt. I do the same thing at night, where I have one of the preset set to just a dim blue. However I see the drift during my sunset where at dusk I only wanted to have a dim red/orange only up one or two brightness. Sometimes I end up with a green sunset
Old 05-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #494
Mustang5L5
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Planted View Post
Mustang, that looks awesome!! Are you going to encase the whole of it with additional metal panels? Wish I had access to the cutters at my work but I'm sure you know how the big soul-less corporations can be!
I wasn't going to get too crazy with it. I do actually like the rear open just to show off my handiwork. Down the road, i might tweak things and recut something that encloses it more.

I still need to figure out how to wire the temp sensor in with the pull-up resistor. Not sure if i can do it on the protoshield I bought. It does have a location for the LCD wiring and potentiometer which made hooking that up easy. RTC hookup was also easy.

Getting there...Still a bit more to do

Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #495
nayr2
Algae Grower

That really does look pretty slick Mustang

Tags
arduino, automation, current led+, diy, light controller