Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ - Page 29
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #421
cbridgeman

PTrader: (0/0%)

I setup an account on here just so I could say thank you for putting this guide up.

I built this with a Adafruit RGB LCD I2C shield. All I had to do was change the LCD library and add this line Adafruit_RGBLCDShield lcd = Adafruit_RGBLCDShield();.

Now to add in my temperature sensor, relay board, and other goodies.

Last edited by cbridgeman; 02-07-2014 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: Correct typo
cbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #422
JoeD
Algae Grower

Sunrise / Sunset relay for Finnex 16" Planted+
I am looking to "Arduino" my 16" Finnex Planted+ with a siesta lighting schedule. I have no want for additional functions.

I am new to microprocessors and relays. I plan on an Arduino Mega (Uno supply not available presently), RTC1307. Learning to read/write sketches and electrical - to a degree.

The largest source of my confusion (today) is which PWM relay system is best suited to the "16" Finnex Planted+ " fixture.

The only Specs I could find for this fixture are:
Transformer # (Finnex a-al-r16wm), 110-120v, DC15V, 11.85watt
60 x 7000k Daylight, 32 x True 660nm Deep Red, 4 x Actinic Blue Moonlights

I love reading these threads. Thanks for your contribution.

Now awaiting your assistance and China's slow boat... Thanks everyone.

Last edited by JoeD; 02-10-2014 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: added specs
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #423
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Sunrise / Sunset relay for Finnex 16" Planted+
I am looking to "Arduino" my 16" Finnex Planted+ with a siesta lighting schedule. ... Thanks everyone.
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings.. but it doesn't quite work that way...
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #424
JoeD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings.. but it doesn't quite work that way...
Thanks for your help...
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #425
bcarl_10gal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I read this entire thread the other night trying to see if I wanted to undertake this project. I had some questions regarding functionality of the controller and wanted to get some input. I had my roommate (computer science major) help me understand some of the code and will help me with it.

1) Would one controller be able to control 2 satellite plus' at once?
2) Since there isnt a way to dim the light could you add more alarms in between by using the 4 custom settings and have them serve as a more "gradual" change (If you eliminate the use of the lcd this would potentially free up enough memory)?
3) Does anyone use this controller with live plants and how does this controller/you control algae?
4) In the opening post it states that you could use it with any fixture? Merely speculation but would this be compatible with the ecoxotic's new plant light (due to be release Spring 14)?

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered earlier in the post and I missed them. This is a really cool project that you all have put a lot of time into!
bcarl_10gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #426
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarl_10gal View Post
I read this entire thread the other night trying to see if I wanted to undertake this project. I had some questions regarding functionality of the controller and wanted to get some input. I had my roommate (computer science major) help me understand some of the code and will help me with it.

1) Would one controller be able to control 2 satellite plus' at once?
2) Since there isnt a way to dim the light could you add more alarms in between by using the 4 custom settings and have them serve as a more "gradual" change (If you eliminate the use of the lcd this would potentially free up enough memory)?
3) Does anyone use this controller with live plants and how does this controller/you control algae?
4) In the opening post it states that you could use it with any fixture? Merely speculation but would this be compatible with the ecoxotic's new plant light (due to be release Spring 14)?

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered earlier in the post and I missed them. This is a really cool project that you all have put a lot of time into!
1) A single controller can control any number of fixtures within range of the controller, provided they all use the same IR protocol.

2) You could use the 4 custom mixes to ramp the light up or down; I prefer to use the up/down arrow function for each individual color to ramp the colors and save the mixes for other stuff... I have 64 alarms running on an Uno now with memory to spare.

3) I think we all use this setup with live plants. I can't speak for algae control.... All of my tanks are heavily planted and the plants out-compete any algae, so I never have any algae issues.

4) If you're willing to do the groundwork necessary to hack the IR protocol and codes, this controller can automate any IR device... Aquarium light fixtures, TVs, Bluray players, home audio, etc. If you use the wiring in early posts and include the IR receiver, hacking the codes is easy. It doesn't matter what kind of device you have, if it has an IR remote, you can use this controller to run it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #427
bcarl_10gal
Algae Grower

Thank you for your help! Few quick responses so I understand what you've said correctly.

1) So based on that 2 current plus' should be on the same IR protocol and therefore able to work. If a second light had a different IR protocol it would not work.

2) So your code for example would be every X amount of minutes it the controller would up X color one click. Therefore effectively creating a true "ramp"

The reason for question one is that I will be upgrading my tank and need a stronger light. My thought is to use the current planted + for my "effects" light and use another light that is on a standard timer to run during "full spectrum" mode and adjust the random t storms that could potentially come on during that time. This is a really great project you have developed that is a great alternative to a Apex controller.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #428
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

Thanks a ton for the work you put into this. I modified your code, wrote some of my own functions and created a simple code that just uses the arduino for timing the siesta sunrise and sunset schedule I want. I added in an initial and final 30 minute period with a particular lighting tone (faded in also) that really makes my fish pop so I can enjoy them in the morning and evening.

I am going to reconfigure it to be more adjustable and user friendly over the next week then I will post the code. All you will need for this code is an arduino and an IR led.

Also I found two errors in the code, typos. It was either white up or white down was calling the wrong function. Also I needed to add a 2 to the IR function instead for one of the colors to get it to transmit. I can point them out specifically later.

I'd highly recommend anyone doing their own fades to increase the colors first when increasing light to decrease how apparent the big steps in brightness are from the increasing of the white lights. Of course do the opposite when decreasing the light levels. By adjusting color then white or vice versa I also found this also solves a bit of flickering I noticed when adjusting them a step at a time in sequence. (adjusting the colors with the whites bright tends to make the whites dim slightly during the transition. There is probably not enough transient voltage suppressing capacitors in the pwm circuits controlling the brightness or perhaps the power supply is not well filtered to prevent this.)

**I can confirm that other than those two issues these hex codes work with the two units I just picked up last week without modifications. Which is awesome because I don't have an IR transistor!**

Anyone think it would be good to do seasonal changes to the lighting schedule to promote more natural seasonal behaviors? Could I make it significant enough to do that without messing up the balance of the tank? Thanks again! Great Job!
Curt_Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #429
Dragonfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've been watching this thread for a while. I run a Satellite + on my dart frog tank and would love to build one of these.

Curt, I'm looking forward to your code! It just might be what it takes for me to pull the trigger. Will an Arduino Uno R3 work? Thanks for all the hard work everyone!

~edit: oh wow I need to update my signature
Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #430
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

I have attached a text doc with the adapted code. Please copy and paste it into the Arduino editor. It should work without a problem on an Uno but I'm running a Duemilanove so you'll have to try it to confirm. Read through the code with special attention to the notes at the beginning and throughout the user defined variables area! All you need is an IR led and the appropriate resistors. You have to define your lighting schedule times, a custom accent lighting setting and the current time. That's it in the code! For your remote set the M4 preset to zero light and as before you will need to connect your led to pin 3. I'm running mine from a cell phone charger although my pc keeps power to the ports even when sleeping so I could just use that.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Control_Test_Internal_Time_Cust_Accent_1_0.txt (17.4 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Curt_Planted; 02-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #431
Dragonfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Safe to assume I still need an RTC?

~edit: Oh! It doesn't use an RTC? Cool! Looking over the code now. Thanks for using lots of notes. I'm pretty solid in powershell, but still learning this.

Last edited by Dragonfish; 02-24-2014 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: I actually read the code
Dragonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #432
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

I actually just ordered an RTC. When I first implemented this code I didn't realize that the number of seconds in a day exceeded the max size an integer type could store. I came home at 1AM to a fully lit tank and assumed it was an issue with the internal timer. I impulsively ordered the RTC and then realized my seconds in the last hours of the day were negative! No wonder the lights were turning on! lol, so I will be adding an RTC although it is not needed as I fixed the issue with the code. It might drift by a couple seconds a day, but I figure all it takes is a quick upload after correcting the time to correct that, so having to do that every couple of months should be no biggie. The RTC was only 9 bucks though, so if you want to add one I should have the code updated for it in a week or so.

How's the code working for you?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #433
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tagged. I need to put together a list of links to parts asap so I can give this a try!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #434
Anor

@Curt_Planted , looking forward to your code including the RTC. Would love to have the dimming functions, as i just run the "plain" code from here (which is very nice but wish i had some dimming.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #435
bcarl_10gal
Algae Grower

Curt do you think you could find a way to incorporate the random t storms in with your code?

Tags
arduino, automation, current led+, diy, light controller