Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ - Page 26
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #376
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Cool ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatechtoo View Post
Zodduska, how did you get the Custom settings into the controller? Didn't you need to use the IR receiver for that?

No receiver needed. Just save the preset you want on the regular remote by holding the custom button. When setting up the alarms these are what you'd put for custom functions:

M1Custom
M2Custom
M3Custom
M4Custom

All of the remote buttons are defined at the bottom of the code too. This is with 4.1

Old 11-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #377
Aquatechtoo
High Tech Redneck

PTrader: (0/0%)

Perhaps you can write a similar random function for clouds like was done for the storm and then use a control structure like If/Else to pull them together!? Just a shot in the dark on my part; object-oriented programming is NOT a strength of mine.

Good luck with the sound, too. Keep us posted. I think it would be a more natural experience if the sound and lighting aren't in sync with each other. This concept also reminded me of Xmas lights syncing to music and a quick search reveled this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=87956.0 and while it isn't exactly what you are thinking about, it could serve as inspiration as you start devising potential solutions? This is a case where the lights and sound would fire in concert with each other, but if you could take this concept and offset the lights and sound by a second or two, it might take this idea of storms over a planted tank to a "4D" level!?
Aquatechtoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #378
zodduska
Planted Member

It seems like the dynamic fade functions are all pretty simple loops on the LED+, you could time lightning strikes pretty easily and add the right amount of delay(s) for the audio to sync then have it repeat until the random storm duration is up. Though I've no idea how to code it.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #379
Aquatechtoo
High Tech Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Cool ideas!

No receiver needed. Just save the preset you want on the regular remote by holding the custom button. When setting up the alarms these are what you'd put for custom functions:

M1Custom
M2Custom
M3Custom
M4Custom

All of the remote buttons are defined at the bottom of the code too. This is with 4.1
Oh, yeah - that's pretty obvious now that I read your explanation. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #380
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Perhaps you can write a similar random function for clouds like was done for the storm and then use a control structure like If/Else to pull them together!? Just a shot in the dark on my part; object-oriented programming is NOT a strength of mine.
I am thinking the same thing as you. Just copy the random storms coding and and replace it with the rolling clouds calls. In theory that should create random clouds and random storms. I have the Current USA Ramp timer and have it hooked up and testing it. If it works out well I will use the ramp timer to control the cycles and the Uno to control the random weather events. That should also free up some memory for sound.

Quote:
I think it would be a more natural experience if the sound and lighting aren't in sync with each other. This concept also reminded me of Xmas lights syncing to music and a quick search reveled this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=87956.0 and while it isn't exactly what you are thinking about, it could serve as inspiration as you start devising potential solutions? This is a case where the lights and sound would fire in concert with each other, but if you could take this concept and offset the lights and sound by a second or two, it might take this idea of storms over a planted tank to a "4D" level!?
I am very familiar with what you're talking about. I was doing those Christmas lights 7 years ago with the L.O.R. (Light-o-rama) controllers. LoL So I have a lot of experience with that.

Quote:
It seems like the dynamic fade functions are all pretty simple loops on the LED+, you could time lightning strikes pretty easily and add the right amount of delay(s) for the audio to sync then have it repeat until the random storm duration is up. Though I've no idea how to code it.
That is an excellant idea! That makes a lot of sense. Just find out the timing between the flashes and add a delay. I will have to figure it out and play with it. I should be able to figure it out once I start digging into the code and learning it.

I am getting all my parts together now for this. I am really thinking this RF thing could work. I have found all the parts and there is even an Arduino Library for these RF parts. If you could have a small box hidden behind your tank or under it so you and keep the Uno plugged in somewhere else so you can make easy changes that will be sweet!
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #381
Aquatechtoo
High Tech Redneck

Texan78, I just had a realization that may help you with identifying the amount of memory available on the Uno as you start implementing on your idea. The geniuses who worked on this code included the ability to identify the amount of free SRAM. In latter versions of their code, you can see the amount of free SRAM from the serial monitor printout! In my case (I'm using Dalhammer's v4.1 code and tweaked a few minor things and I have a few more alarms firing during the day) I have 967 bytes free.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #382
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Texan78, I just had a realization that may help you with identifying the amount of memory available on the Uno as you start implementing on your idea. The geniuses who worked on this code included the ability to identify the amount of free SRAM. In latter versions of their code, you can see the amount of free SRAM from the serial monitor printout! In my case (I'm using Dalhammer's v4.1 code and tweaked a few minor things and I have a few more alarms firing during the day) I have 967 bytes free.
Great thanks! I remember during all my reading somewhere where that was mentioned so I will go back and see if I can locate it. I am about to head out and see if I can locate some of the last parts I need to at least get the basic functions work then I can go from there with getting the RF capabilities working and then adding the other features.

I bought the ramp timer for this as well to test and play with it. It works fine on the preset I was using to dim the lights. I was disappointing with the fact it doesn't dim to moonlight, it just dims them to off. So I am probably going to send those back. I was hoping to use the Ramp Timer to control the dimming of the lunar/day cycle and use the Uno to handle events hoping that will free some memory up too. Looks like that won't be the case. Just so I have an understand and clear. With this mod this will dim to moonlight at night?

-Thanks!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #383
zodduska
Planted Member

With the way it's set up by default it's switching the built in modes at the end of the day to the dusk/dawn dynamic fade before switching to moonloght, its not set up yet for a true ramp up/ ramp down. You could do it with a bunch of alarms using the individual channel intensity adjustments but you'd need a lot at intervals, the TimeAlarms library is limited to 256 and I'm not sure that's the cleanest way to do it as you may run out of memory before that limit is reached.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #384
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

The best way to trigger a fade would be to use a sinusoidal function to repeatedly press the up or down command for each channel. You'd have to write a new function for this, and just trigger the function with a single alarm. This is something I have been toying around with, but I've been out of the country with work and haven't had much time to play with it.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #385
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome, guess I need to get this set up and at least to a working state first and play catch up then go from there. Good to know it is at least possible. Oh wait, in order to have it to dim to moonlight it would have to have control of 2 separate channels right?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #386
zodduska
Planted Member

Oh nice, sounds like that'd be a lot easier to set up, I just tested and it takes 42 "White Down" for the White LED to go from max to off with my setup.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #387
zodduska
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Awesome, guess I need to get this set up and at least to a working state first and play catch up then go from there. Good to know it is at least possible. Oh wait, in order to have it to dim to moonlight it would have to have control of 2 separate channels right?
The code would have send signals to dim the red, green, blue and white individually.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #388
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The code would have send signals to dim the red, green, blue and white individually.
Ah crap you're right. I forgot it has RGB plus white. So it would need to control 3 channels. But this is possible since the remote can fade out each RGB and white channel. Hmmmmmmm This is getting interesting. Ok I am heading out. I need to play catch up so I start playing and digging into this.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #389
zodduska
Planted Member

cleaned up my temporary build a little

Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #390
Tiger Muskie

Hi Indychus and others:

Thank you very much for providing this clear step-by-step guide for the project. I have it up and running on my 29 gallon tank with the RTC and LCD display.

Question: Has anyone worked out a method for turning off the LCD backlight at night?
My fish all gather in the corner of the tank by the LCD and stare at it all night, and more importantly, my wife doesn't like it!

Thanks!

Last edited by Tiger Muskie; 11-26-2013 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Tiger Muskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arduino, automation, current led+, diy, light controller